The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Best commercial I've ever seen

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Crazy to see a commercial where we are treated like human beings. I just didn't like the ending "open their minds so we can open their future" or what have you. It's no surprise that Black people gravitate to sports and music when that's the only lane this racist country opens up for them. I had an outlet try to run an article on here about financial literacy and it totally glossed over our true issue. It tried to make it appear as if all we needed to do was stop talking about basketball and talk about Roth IRAs and everything would be A-OK. I wrote them back a scathing email

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    I loved this commercial but I also co-sign Jay's point as well. Towards the end it made it seem as if we as Black men are selling our kids short. But all those fields they listed off are filled with anti-Black hatred. I'm not saying that we don't need to prep our kids to be doctors, computer scientists, etc. But we also have to prep them for all the racism they are going to experience going into those fields. It's not like get degree and get put on as many like to make it appear.

ProMoatBlack

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I loved this commercial but I also co-sign Jay's point as well. Towards the end it made it seem as if we as Black men are selling our kids short. But all those fields they listed off are filled with anti-Black hatred. I'm not saying that we don't need to prep our kids to be doctors, computer scientists, etc. But we also have to prep them for all the racism they are going to experience going into those fields. It's not like get degree and get put on as many like to make it appear.
    Exaclty!!! I worked as a social worker and experienced more racism at that job than any other menial position I ever had. Don't let me get started on when I went for a management position. The hate for black power is real.

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Exaclty!!! I worked as a social worker and experienced more racism at that job than any other menial position I ever had. Don't let me get started on when I went for a management position. The hate for black power is real.
    Amen. I don't want to make this a pity party either but I think it's important that we call out anything that gives a pass to White Supremacy. Does the commercial make you feel warm and fuzzy? Yes. But in the end it basically pretends as if White Supremacy doesn't exist and our issue is a lack of imagination. I was immediately insulted when I read that as my children do not suffer from a lack of imagination. They suffer from a system that's trying to constantly rob them of their imagination. The media is what tells them that all they can be is singers, ball players, and criminals. After 100 years of repeating this of course it's going to be self-reinforcing.

chinwe

Registered
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    The commercial is inspiring to every black person. It lets us know that we and our kids should continue dreaming big and working hard to achieve those dreams. I have no problem with the advertisement because I know that hard work, persistence and consistence knows no resistance.