The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Black computer scientists have degrees from top universities, but don't get hired in tech

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We often hear coons talk about how Black people are not prioritizing STEM but is it true? According to this report, nope! There’s a pipeline for us in sports, there’s no pipeline in tech hence why you don’t see a mass of us moving into it.

Technology companies blame the pool of job applicants for the severe shortage of blacks and Hispanics in Silicon Valley.
    But these findings show that claim "does not hold water," said Darrick Hamilton, professor of economics and urban policy at The New School in New York.

"What do dominant groups say? 'We tried, we searched but there was nobody qualified.' If you look at the empirical evidence, that is just not the case,"

"The premise that if you want diversity, you have to sacrifice quality, is false," he said. His department currently has 25 African-American Ph.D. candidates. Rice University in Houston has a large number of Hispanic students.

The question I want to propose to everyone.

If we are recommending our children go into school for STEM what opportunities are we going to provide for them when they graduate?

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I learned to build computers from a brotha many many years ago, my dad was an engineer (electronics) and was messing with computers before the "internet" as it's known today.
    I say that because almost all of the Black people I've known who deals with computers were good at what they did. If they open the door for black people to work in this industry in large numbers, it's just a matter of time before we take it over. And they know it.

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks
    I learned to build computers from a brotha many many years ago, my dad was an engineer (electronics) and was messing with computers before the "internet" as it's known today.
    I say that because almost all of the Black people I've known who deals with computers were good at what they did. If they open the door for black people to work in this industry in large numbers, it's just a matter of time before we take it over. And they know it.
    Whites and Asians dominate the space and they are both equally racist towards. To make matters worse, even if you were hired would you want to work in that type of environment? Outside of the most coward token Blacks, most would feel awkward. Asian people assimilate and look passed White racism. A Black American would be ostracized in these environs.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Whites and Asians dominate the space and they are both equally racist towards. To make matters worse, even if you were hired would you want to work in that type of environment? Outside of the most coward token Blacks, most would feel awkward. Asian people assimilate and look passed White racism. A Black American would be ostracized in these environs.
    Facts. I‘ve worked in these environments before and the Asians kiss white ass. They act like dogs do, always happy to see you, always looking to get your attention, and always looking to be validated “am i a good boy?” White people love it because their culture is all about dominance and asians are for all intents and purposes domesticated. Black Americans are like wild horses, we come in doing our own thing, if you try to jump on our back, we will buck you off. Ince we do that too s few white people then everyone is looking at us as angry. We’re like:

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

“Ysll think ima just let white people hop on my back and ride me? That may be how yall get down but not me“

then you get branded as “angry”

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The brothas and sistas who experience this need to network with each other and maybe create their own business or talk to some black-owned businesses and see what they can do to enhance their business. I know that FBA is the most resourceful person on the planet and when we put our minds to anything we do it.

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    The brothas and sistas who experience this need to network with each other and maybe create their own business or talk to some black-owned businesses and see what they can do to enhance their business. I know that FBA is the most resourceful person on the planet and when we put our minds to anything we do it.
    This would be easier if Black Americans rallied to support the creations of these individuals. If Black STEM graduates have to bootstrap their creations only to have Black Americans flock to the White versions then it is going to set the Black STEM grads up to fail. 6ZEROS will be a great temperature check on the state of Black Americans and Black people abroad.

Salty_Sura

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Other
    Origin
    USA
    My son has gone to different STEM camps since he was in elementary school. A mix of coding, engineering, robotics, video game, and graphic design. I'm not sure what else to provide him after graduation? At that point, he should be looking for a job in his field and my role would be his support system, financial, emotional, etc. until he's able to provide for himself.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Facts. I‘ve worked in these environments before and the Asians kiss white ass. They act like dogs do, always happy to see you, always looking to get your attention, and always looking to be validated “am i a good boy?” White people love it because their culture is all about dominance and asians are for all intents and purposes domesticated. Black Americans are like wild horses, we come in doing our own thing, if you try to jump on our back, we will buck you off. Ince we do that too s few white people then everyone is looking at us as angry. We’re like:

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

“Ysll think ima just let white people hop on my back and ride me? That may be how yall get down but not me“

then you get branded as “angry”
    Whether or not whites are around (or they are in lower numbers), whites, Asians, Latinos, Indians, and any non-Blacks will find ways to team up against you as a way to put you in your place, micromanage you, bully you, make you uncomfortable, get you out the paint, and fling mud on you so that they are chosen for opportunities and promotions over you. These non-Blacks can be widely favored and in higher positions / tiers over you yet still seemingly feel threatened by you which makes them even more hateful and hostile. How is that possible?

And yes, this is the type of toxicity diversity and inclusion in the workplace that whites and others want.

ProMoatBlack

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Whether or not whites are around (or they are in lower numbers), whites, Asians, Latinos, Indians, and any non-Blacks will find ways to team up against you as a way to put you in your place, micromanage you, bully you, make you uncomfortable, get you out the paint, and fling mud on you so that they are chosen for opportunities and promotions over you. These non-Blacks can be widely favored and in higher positions / tiers over you yet still seemingly feel threatened by you which makes them even more hateful and hostile. How is that possible?

And yes, this is the type of toxicity diversity and inclusion in the workplace that whites and others want.
    Lived through everything you stated firsthand when I worked for Department of Human Services in Colorado!! Being a social worker was the most stressful job I ever had dealing with those devil's. Good to know I am in great company here on 6zeros

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    For those of you heavy in tech. I keep hearing the demand is so high they can't afford to be racist. But I've heard that, that statement needs to be nuanced because they always low ball blacks in salaries and they rarely ever put us in managerial positions.

Also, Indians and Asians are the most racist towards us. Not that whites aren't but Indians and Asians who happen to manage a project and hire, won't hire us if they can.

So, second question. Solutions to the first problem?

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Lived through everything you stated firsthand when I worked for Department of Human Services in Colorado!! Being a social worker was the most stressful job I ever had dealing with those devil's. Good to know I am in great company here on 6zeros
    Docile and quiet (safe Negro) Black employees, class clown or humorous Black employees, whitewashed Black employees, and tapdancing / off-code Black employees are not 100% safe from the wrath, undermining, aversion, and deceitful and backstabbing behaviors from non-Black employees either.

I have seen and heard of non-Black "minority" groups (example: Latinos) team up with other non-Black "minority" groups (example: Asians, including East Indians) to sabotage and throw Black people under buses and trains.

I have seen popular, well-liked white males that acted as social bullies and if they were to ever feel threatened by a someone of a "lower rank" (example: a safe Negro who finally decided to challenge them and call them out on their racist and unprofessional antics), the white males would get angry and signal to everyone that they (the white men) are the victims and that they (the out of line Negro) is to be punished and gotten out the paint.

The white males will confidently use their versions of the story (no matter how false) along with their social capital, popularity, and undeserved sympathy from those orbiters rallying around them and acting as "witnesses" to get the "out of order" Negros and Negresses punished.

White females and Karens will do the same their with anger and as well as white tears. And if whites and non-Blacks were harassing and targeting you from the jump and you finally dish it back at them or call them out (especially if you report them), they'll find ways to flip the tables on you and will use anything against you you make you look worse. I say this once more, look up DARVO. That is the tactic these racist non-Blacks use on us on a daily basis (especially with the white media) while gaslighting us to death.

I have learned that for Black people, it is best for us to never get too comfortable and open about ourselves, and not to make friends with these dangerous open and covert enemies in the workplace. With "small talk", "questions", and "innocent, friendly chatter", they are gathering intel on us, our fears, our issues, our opinions, our statements, and our weaknesses to use against us later on. The standards and rules for non-Blacks differ from the ours (Black people). They always pick and choose when to enforce rules, laws, and protocols for the benefit of non-Blacks and at the expense of Blacks (with very few exceptions). The less these non-Blacks and tapdancers know about you, the less ammo they have to use against you.

Non-Blacks can act as unprofessional as they want, curse, harass, slack off, goof off, web surf, bullshit around while fronting to everyone else and claiming that they're moving mountains, yet Black people have to be perfect sacrificial workhorses who are constantly monitored, watched, controlled, questioned, nitpicked, overworked, reviewed, tested, micromanaged, written up, and disciplined. Not even the "hard-working" Latinos and Asian workerbees were treated in the same way that were are constantly treated.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Degrees don't mean S**t and I've worked IT without it for about 10 years and I've always seen Black people in IT but they only hire so many of us. A degree helps you get into higher pay and salaries imo but when it comes to us it seems like there is a limit on how many qualified Black people they will allow to be at the job.

Competence does mean something but the issue I have seen is that they never think that we are competent I used to have people who didn't know DIMM from a CPU but hover around me as if they "knew" when I was going to mess up. I don't mind working in IT but honestly I am waiting for the moment where I can just teach my community skills and work for myself.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    For those of you heavy in tech. I keep hearing the demand is so high they can't afford to be racist. But I've heard that, that statement needs to be nuanced because they always low ball blacks in salaries and they rarely ever put us in managerial positions.

Also, Indians and Asians are the most racist towards us. Not that whites aren't but Indians and Asians who happen to manage a project and hire, won't hire us if they can.

So, second question. Solutions to the first problem?
    from my personal experience, it's a complex answer. Yes, the demand is high, but I don't think it's so high they can't afford to be racist. There's always room for that. lol. And it's a very competitive market.

But we have to remember, we don't OWN any industries in this country. We don't own anything that forces others to come through us to get it. I think that's what it boils down to.

Roparker71

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    This is a subject that I know about. I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. I graduated from the University of Oklahoma (BOOMER SOONER) in 1993. I was out of work for (at least) 2 years looking for a job in my career field. I would nail the interview, present my credentials (I'm surprised they didn't ask for a blood sample), no job. I was either "not experienced enough" or "over qualified". The fact of the matter was I was just too black to be in the Technology field. I always encourage young black people to get into the tech field. Before COVID-19 hit (wink, wink), I had a successful tech service and I'm picking that back up now.

Paid1nFull

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is a subject that I know about. I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. I graduated from the University of Oklahoma (BOOMER SOONER) in 1993. I was out of work for (at least) 2 years looking for a job in my career field. I would nail the interview, present my credentials (I'm surprised they didn't ask for a blood sample), no job. I was either "not experienced enough" or "over qualified". The fact of the matter was I was just too black to be in the Technology field. I always encourage young black people to get into the tech field. Before COVID-19 hit (wink, wink), I had a successful tech service and I'm picking that back up now.
    Roparker71 Successful tech service? What did you do?

Roparker71

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    from my personal experience, it's a complex answer. Yes, the demand is high, but I don't think it's so high they can't afford to be racist. There's always room for that. lol. And it's a very competitive market.

But we have to remember, we don't OWN any industries in this country. We don't own anything that forces others to come through us to get it. I think that's what it boils down to.
    Agreed.

Roparker71

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Degrees don't mean S**t and I've worked IT without it for about 10 years and I've always seen Black people in IT but they only hire so many of us. A degree helps you get into higher pay and salaries imo but when it comes to us it seems like there is a limit on how many qualified Black people they will allow to be at the job.

Competence does mean something but the issue I have seen is that they never think that we are competent I used to have people who didn't know DIMM from a CPU but hover around me as if they "knew" when I was going to mess up. I don't mind working in IT but honestly I am waiting for the moment where I can just teach my community skills and work for myself.
    I agree... degrees don't mean anything in I.T. right now... I've been in the I.T. profession for almost 30 years... over the decades, the need for a degree has drastically declined. I have all kinds of I.T. certs and that's all most employers wan to see these days...

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    What it seems like is we need to do our own startups, etc. Which is easier said that done. Those in tech now are the pioneers it seems.

It seems like its similar to Blacks in finance. '70s almost no blacks on Wall Street. In the '80s Wall Street were forced to hire Blacks by Black mayors if they wanted to underwrite municipal bonds from that city. So the blacks were in the Municipal Bond department, the 'Siberia' of Finance. No one moves up from there almost never. They started slowly hiring Blacks who had the best credentials (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton (Penn) MBAs, into trading, mergers/acquisitions and then we slowly got into management and it produced people like Robert Smith and others we have never heard of. (Google Reginald Lewis).

It's the same in other industries. Academia, Entertainment (behind the camera: director, producer, studio boss, music CEO) for example.

Anyway, I hope 10 years from now we will be more common in a variety of positions all over tech due to people like y'all today. I am transitioning to tech (trying Cloud- AWS initially). I have a plan, road map, and I am toying with management at some point to hire us.

There are a number of industries left to conquer that we should

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I agree... degrees don't mean anything in I.T. right now... I've been in the I.T. profession for almost 30 years... over the decades, the need for a degree has drastically declined. I have all kinds of I.T. certs and that's all most employers wan to see these days...
    I got by with creating a portfolio of what I could do and was lucky enough to have references to play the game and really sell myself to employers. I seen how people with degrees have messed up because they know how to play the college game but to your point certifications are everything and it is a very lenient field if you have the skills so I agree with you 1000%

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What it seems like is we need to do our own startups, etc. Which is easier said that done. Those in tech now are the pioneers it seems.

It seems like its similar to Blacks in finance. '70s almost no blacks on Wall Street. In the '80s Wall Street were forced to hire Blacks by Black mayors if they wanted to underwrite municipal bonds from that city. So the blacks were in the Municipal Bond department, the 'Siberia' of Finance. No one moves up from there almost never. They started slowly hiring Blacks who had the best credentials (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton (Penn) MBAs, into trading, mergers/acquisitions and then we slowly got into management and it produced people like Robert Smith and others we have never heard of. (Google Reginald Lewis).

It's the same in other industries. Academia, Entertainment (behind the camera: director, producer, studio boss, music CEO) for example.

Anyway, I hope 10 years from now we will be more common in a variety of positions all over tech due to people like y'all today. I am transitioning to tech (trying Cloud- AWS initially). I have a plan, road map, and I am toying with management at some point to hire us.

There are a number of industries left to conquer that we should
    We will if we make it that way. There are white groups that intentionally go in to sabotage us and IT is already well known for "Gate Keeping". I do however see a rise in interest and visibility and there are more of us in it than people think but part of the disparity is opportunity. Only one school in my district offered any programming classes at that was Skyline High, but that was it as compared to white neighborhoods that not only offer that but have robot building competitions. They put more music, arts and sports programs in our communities rather than knowledge that will help us compete. It almost "justifies" why they will outsource foreigners because they have no problem dumbing down our communities to keep us on the bottom and they don't care about others that go to the same public schools. If you are Black and you move to a white community you assimilate and become almost indistinguishable from them in terms of attitude and culture.

Finesse

Sixer
    zBucks
    I wanted to study computer science in college, but backed out of it. Sucks to hear that we're not getting hired for these jobs more often. I know many black men and women who are into the tech field in some way, and they all have jobs. But those are just a small handful of people compared to the whole world, which is for sure different from my experiences.

One suggestion for those who are not getting hired, try freelance sites, or start your own services. Sometimes we have to branch out on our own to get out there.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I wanted to study computer science in college, but backed out of it. Sucks to hear that we're not getting hired for these jobs more often. I know many black men and women who are into the tech field in some way, and they all have jobs. But those are just a small handful of people compared to the whole world, which is for sure different from my experiences.

One suggestion for those who are not getting hired, try freelance sites, or start your own services. Sometimes we have to branch out on our own to get out there.
    The issue with freelancing is that it’s inconsistent and you need consistent sources of income to live comfortably. That’s why we need to create jobs and create tech products so that we can make sure we get hired.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Take that knowledge and combined it with business or set up a partnership with someone who is business minded and skilled. They don't want us in their spaces. We know this. We have known this. We shouldn't want to be in those spaces either. We need our own. We need to build our own. We need to work on our own economy cause the way things are heading with the US, you are going to be f'd in the -a- when the government can't pay out welfare, medical support, or retirement. There are millions who depend on those things. Where you think they will turn when they have no help? All those white supremicists have their gated communities and protected businesses, farm lands, etc. we need the same and we need to start building for it. Tech world or otherwise.

TekhNiqo

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Take that knowledge and combined it with business or set up a partnership with someone who is business minded and skilled. They don't want us in their spaces. We know this. We have known this. We shouldn't want to be in those spaces either. We need our own. We need to build our own. We need to work on our own economy cause the way things are heading with the US, you are going to be f'd in the -a- when the government can't pay out welfare, medical support, or retirement. There are millions who depend on those things. Where you think they will turn when they have no help? All those white supremicists have their gated communities and protected businesses, farm lands, etc. we need the same and we need to start building for it. Tech world or otherwise.
    I made a similar point about Black businesses relative to how white businesses are finding ways to cut costs by using fewer employees. If we play our cards right 10-20 years we can control the workforce because they would have to come to us.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We often hear coons talk about how Black people are not prioritizing STEM but is it true? According to this report, nope! There’s a pipeline for us in sports, there’s no pipeline in tech hence why you don’t see a mass of us moving into it.

The question I want to propose to everyone.

If we are recommending our children go into school for STEM what opportunities are we going to provide for them when they graduate?
    I actually think there is a pipeline, and it's growing ... From my perspective, the results can be highly subjective to location ...

There will be a shortage in tech, they need more workers , but I may have rose colored glasses on that one ...

For instance, my area is flooded with tech, along with many Black faces/tech representation .. it might also be like that in some other metros.. They have no option but to hire us, if so, it's to their detriment , as one might get scooped up by another company ..

... It's something that's accepted ..

It might be different in places where to see a black face in tech is less accepted ...

Tech is the future, but yes, we need more mentorship /partnerships to get more of our folks in tech experience...

It's all who you know, not necessarily what you know ...

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    It would be nice if more black men and women went into STEM fields, mainly because it's a great field to get into and pays pretty decently. It is true that there are not as many black men and women in the STEM field, but it does look to be getting a little better, at least I hope so.

I wouldn't have mined learning more about the STEM field growing up. If I knew more back then, I may have considered it.

I think we're going to see more black people taking up STEM fields in the near future.

The Haze Of Our Lives

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    My grandfather bought me a Commodore 128 and during the 80s BBS's were a big thing. Being able to download and chat was breaking edge at the time and always mainly white. The Asians came in during the mid 80s and it has been the white and asians that are gatekeeping tech. I was the only black person in that circle.

D-Mann

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    There are more blacks in tech esp black Americans in legacy companies as I call them like the BofA’s/banks , AT&T, state, local and city jobs. These newer companies like google and startups have the whyt bro culture where they want you to hang out and be friends and play ping pong. I don’t wanna do none of that bull shh with you I’m going home. LOL

Sun Light

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    My grandfather bought me a Commodore 128 and during the 80s BBS's were a big thing. Being able to download and chat was breaking edge at the time and always mainly white. The Asians came in during the mid 80s and it has been the white and asians that are gatekeeping tech. I was the only black person in that circle.
    Do you remember the Tandy computer?? I had one.. I had to type pages just to see a ball bounce up and down on the screen.. Funny because back then it was exciting!!🤦🏾‍♀️😂

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I made a similar point about Black businesses relative to how white businesses are finding ways to cut costs by using fewer employees. If we play our cards right 10-20 years we can control the workforce because they would have to come to us.
    Look at the next generation coming up, all these white zoomers don't know anything about computers. It is the perfect opportunity to assert ourselves in these spaces by building our own and if they need someone for tech related services, we would control the scene.

The Haze Of Our Lives

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Do you remember the Tandy computer?? I had one.. I had to type pages just to see a ball bounce up and down on the screen.. Funny because back then it was exciting!!🤦🏾‍♀️😂
    Yes I remember the Tandy, Apple II, Texas Instruments. Those were fun times on the edge of technology.