Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Black men in Tech Conference

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
This weekend, I've been in ft. Lauderdale to attend a tech conference specifically for black men. The conference was well organized, great speakers in the industry, made a ton of connects. Some major companies were there recruiting. I met black men tech startup founders. We fellowshipped and share stories of our journeys breaking into tech.

They brought in a high school band start things off. And they were playing classic OutKast songs. They had a silent disco party. The last night they had a party and somehow they transitioned from knuck if you buck to Kirk Franklin and god's property songs. Overall, it was a great experience.

20221013_195537.jpg 20221013_195534.jpg 20221013_200321.jpg 20221013_205240.jpg 20221015_211055.jpg 20221015_211407.jpg 20221015_210916.jpg 20221015_210927.jpg 20221015_211055.jpg 20221014_180355.jpg

DOSO

Sixer
Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This weekend, I've been in ft. Lauderdale to attend a tech conference specifically for black men. The conference was well organized, great speakers in the industry, made a ton of connects. Some major companies were there recruiting. I met black men tech startup founders. We fellowshipped and share stories of our journeys breaking into tech.

They brought in a high school band start things off. And they were playing classic OutKast songs. They had a silent disco party. The last night they had a party and somehow they transitioned from knuck if you buck to Kirk Franklin and god's property songs. Overall, it was a great experience.

View attachment 4458 View attachment 4460 View attachment 4461 View attachment 4462 View attachment 4463 View attachment 4464 View attachment 4466 View attachment 4467 View attachment 4468 View attachment 4469

That's awesome bruh. I wish that I could attend something like that.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What did you learn there? What were your biggest takeaways? Did you see a lot of independence or was it pipeline to Corporate America?
    It was a healthy dose of both. I met up with a lot of black men with tech startups. It's crazy I ran into one of them whom I met in Tulsa at Black Wall Street over the summer. Just shows you how small the circle can be.
    But the conference leaned more into the corporate America side of things. The challenges we face, how we can navigate them, and most importantly.. the mindset.

The mindset was the biggest takeaway for me. To be in this space, you do have to be built differently. There are many reasons why there are so few of us in that space and that's one of them. The path to success is a lonely road and it's not kind at all.

I caught some great panels talking about the money side of things and learned a lot. I got more direction for my personal career path. Most of the speakers were accessible outside the panel to ask more questions and have conversations.

For me personally, I know I'll be eventually working both, in corporate and in the startup space. That's because I desire independence and the ceiling is much higher. But I got a taste of startup work over the summer and it's a lot to work through.

Heatice

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    Canada
    I am happy to see these popping up more and more and spreading. We need to be able to know who is out there and who to support. The way for a black man in America to gain true freedom is through entrepreneurship.
    It's the best way towards our self sufficiency. There's no way these racist white supremacist individuals would be interested in seeing us grow and survive. It's all down to us to fight for our survival and this is one of ways to do it.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's the best way towards our self sufficiency. There's no way these racist white supremacist individuals would be interested in seeing us grow and survive. It's all down to us to fight for our survival and this is one of ways to do it.
    Exactly! If we help our own and support our own, we will flourish no matter what they do. That is the thing. We need to get enough of our people on the same page and wanting the same things. Get off government handouts. Establish healthy relationships. Have a productive family unit. Get our kids out of government-funded/ran school systems. We will all be better off.

DaBeast

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That's awesome dude! I had no idea about this conference, but I hope they do it yearly because it's something I'd be down to attend. I'm not a tech genius or anything, but I like tech, so could be fun.

And here's to more conferences and festivals that are run and hosted black people. It's starting to happen, and that makes me happy. Now I just need to get out there and actual attend a con like this.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That's awesome dude! I had no idea about this conference, but I hope they do it yearly because it's something I'd be down to attend. I'm not a tech genius or anything, but I like tech, so could be fun.

And here's to more conferences and festivals that are run and hosted black people. It's starting to happen, and that makes me happy. Now I just need to get out there and actual attend a con like this.
    you don't have to be a tech genius to attend. lol. It's for people working in tech or have an interest in working in tech. If you're looking for more fun stuff, I suggest a con. There's a big black-owned con - Dream Convention in Arlington, TX. But cons in general are usually fun to attend.