Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Black Sitcoms; What Shows did you like?

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What ever happened to good black sitcoms like we used to have in the 90s and early 2000s.

Here are some that I used to like....
    Martin, My Wife and Kids, The Fresh Prince, Hangin With Mr Cooper, Family Matters, The Steve Harvey Show, A Different World, The Wayans Bros, The Jamie Foxx Show, Sister Sister, Smart Guy, Lincoln Heights, Living Single, Roc, Parenthood, The Cosby Show

These are just a few that I remember.

A lot of the newer shows I just don't enjoy the same. Especially the Tyler Perry stuff. I just feel his work has a lot of negative stereotypes portrayed in unnecessary ways. I feel like with his work we're being laughed at and not laughed with.

A lot of the shows I mentioned above showed working class black people or young black people working their way up and just living life. I didn't feel the stereotyping was so pronounced.

What were some of you favorite shows?

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Martin, My Wife and Kids, The Fresh Prince, Hangin With Mr Cooper, Family Matters, The Steve Harvey Show, A Different World, The Wayans Bros, The Jamie Foxx Show, Sister Sister, Smart Guy, Lincoln Heights, Living Single, Roc, Parenthood, The Cosby Show
    Bruh you named all the sitcoms.

mjlol

But my favorites were Martin, Jamie Foxx Show, My Brother and Me, and The Steve Harvey Show.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    What ever happened to good black sitcoms like we used to have in the 90s and early 2000s.

A lot of the newer shows I just don't enjoy the same. Especially the Tyler Perry stuff. I just feel his work has a lot of negative stereotypes portrayed in unnecessary ways. I feel like with his work we're being laughed at and not laughed with.

A lot of the shows I mentioned above showed working class black people or young black people working their way up and just living life. I didn't feel the stereotyping was so pronounced.

The goat!

6668337C-E078-4244-8859-3DAB712C27DF.jpeg

MarleyK20

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Telling my age (lol), I loved Good Times, The Jeffersons, Archie Bunker (because that was my first real exposure to how white men act at home), That's My Mama, What's Happening, The Cosby Show, Steve Harvey Show. I only watch old Black shows on TV on the rare occasions I do watch today. TV is trash now. I loved any and all shows where the male was strong like my dad because that was my norm. The more G the man the better. I'd have to say James Evans was the best daddy, but you see the crackers wrote him out of the show because they didn't want strong Black men who wouldn't coon teaching us the same lol. Devilvision never changes.

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It really was. It was so wholesome and family oriented. Nowadays the sitcom has been replaced with raunchy reality TV.
    Yeps. And I have never been a fan of that.
    Even when they used certain stereotypes it was purely for comedy. Not so much nowadays!

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    My main show was The Cosby show growing up. My parents had VHS tapes of it recorded and I would watch them fairly often. We didn't have cable for a while, so it's all I had. But when we did get cable I remember also tuning into Family Matters, Martin (I don't think I got the channel it aired on originally until it was running re-runs of it on some network. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air for sure.

The Bernie Mac Show is another one I watched a lot of, also the woman who played his wife was a big reason I tuned in. :D

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    My main show was The Cosby show growing up. My parents had VHS tapes of it recorded and I would watch them fairly often. We didn't have cable for a while, so it's all I had. But when we did get cable I remember also tuning into Family Matters, Martin (I don't think I got the channel it aired on originally until it was running re-runs of it on some network. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air for sure.

The Bernie Mac Show is another one I watched a lot of, also the woman who played his wife was a big reason I tuned in. :D
    How could I forget about Bernie? ✊🏽🤴🏿✊🏽

D

Deleted member 191

I watched a lot of Nickelodeon growing up and two shows i loved were "My Brother and Me" the other was called "Gullah Gullah Island."(Not a sitcom I know but it was still a good show)
    I also watched shows with my parents and my siblings that were over my head at the age I was because I was super young but when they syndicated the shows and aired re-runs I appreciated them more as I got older. Those shows were 227, Amen, The Jeffersons, Family Matters, Cosby Show, Martin, Living Single, The Wayans Brothers, Jamie Foxx Show, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, Steve Harvey Show, In The House, Sister Sister, Smart Guy, Thea, Moesha, All of Us, The Parent 'Hood, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I watched a lot of Nickelodeon growing up and two shows i loved were "My Brother and Me" the other was called "Gullah Gullah Island."(Not a sitcom I know but it was still a good show)
    I also watched shows with my parents and my siblings that were over my head at the age I was because I was super young but when they syndicated the shows and aired re-runs I appreciated them more as I got older. Those shows were 227, Amen, The Jeffersons, Family Matters, Cosby Show, Martin, Living Single, The Wayans Brothers, Jamie Foxx Show, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, Steve Harvey Show, In The House, Sister Sister, Smart Guy, Thea, Moesha, All of Us, The Parent 'Hood, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.
    I was bummed that My Brother and Me got only one season. I also liked My Cousin Skeeter as well it was a cool concept.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Some of my favorite Black sitcoms are:
    Roc, 227, Amen, Sanford & Son, Thea, The Jeffersons, Abbott Elementary, The Cosby Show, Cosby, Martin, Living Single, The Wayans Brothers, South Central, The Jamie Foxx Show, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, What's Happening, What's Happening Now, The Steve Harvey Show, Good Times, Everybody Hates Chris, Smart Guy, Moesha, The Parent 'Hood, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, A Different World, Family Matters, The Upshaws, My Wife & Kids, Black-ish, & The Bernie Mac Show

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    Man I don't know how I forgot about this one. I used to love this show! I was still watching reruns of it in my early twenties but since I opted out of paying for cable when I moved out from my parents' house, it slipped my memory.

Ravenfreak

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Man where do I start?! Family Matters is definitely my favorite, and Ngl I’m happy Steve ended up with Laura at the end of the series. The fresh Prince of Bel Air was amazing too and my second favorite black sitcom was sister, sister. I had a crush on Tia and Tamara when I was a kid.

ProMoatBlack

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Man where do I start?! Family Matters is definitely my favorite, and Ngl I’m happy Steve ended up with Laura at the end of the series. The fresh Prince of Bel Air was amazing too and my second favorite black sitcom was sister, sister. I had a crush on Tia and Tamara when I was a kid.
    Oh man I never got to finish family matters. Super spoiler alert 😆. My wife and I have to binge that. I too had a crush on sister sister loved that show. The black family is so powerful we carried a generation of TV.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Oh man I never got to finish family matters. Super spoiler alert 😆. My wife and I have to binge that. I too had a crush on sister sister loved that show. The black family is so powerful we carried a generation of TV.
    I didn't like how they portrayed Steve. He was a genius, but they made him a clumsy nerd.

ProMoatBlack

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I didn't like how they portrayed Steve. He was a genius, but they made him a clumsy nerd.
    I was clumsy as a kid so I lived under steve's shadow to my family. The system of white supremacy couldn't show black intelligence that was sophisticated. Too scary to them. Too close to our true and original nature.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I was clumsy as a kid so I lived under steve's shadow to my family. The system of white supremacy couldn't show black intelligence that was sophisticated. Too scary to them. Too close to our true and original nature.
    Totally on point! ✊🏽

E

educatedman23

Some of my favorite Black sitcoms are:
    Roc, 227, Amen, Sanford & Son, Thea, The Jeffersons, Abbott Elementary, The Cosby Show, Cosby, Martin, Living Single, The Wayans Brothers, South Central, The Jamie Foxx Show, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, What's Happening, What's Happening Now, The Steve Harvey Show, Good Times, Everybody Hates Chris, Smart Guy, Moesha, The Parent 'Hood, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, A Different World, Family Matters, The Upshaws, My Wife & Kids, Black-ish, & The Bernie Mac Show
    I loved most of these shows. I'm not familiar with Abbott Elementary.

Tati 304

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Sister Sister is so good. I honestly enjoyed it so much and I have never seen it before until the last year or so. Thank goodness it was on Netflix.
    I loved everything about Sister Sister. I would annoy my entire family when the theme song came on. Sistah sistah! I was a huge fan of Smart Guy too.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I grew up watching it.
    Moesha was very good too! Living Single, In Living Color, Amen, The Cosby Show, The Flip Wilson Show, 227, Good Times, Amen, What's Happening, It's A Different World, The Jackson 5 Show, Cosby Kids, Benson, A Man Called Hawk, Sanfordc& Son, Different Strokes, That's My Mama, The Jeffersons, Frank's Place, Gimme A Break, Family Matters, The New Odd Couple, Melba, What's Happening Now, Webster, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, One On One, South Central, The Parkers, Girlfriends, The Sammy Davis, Jr Show, The Tommy Show.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Moesha was very good too! Living Single, In Living Color, Amen, The Cosby Show, The Flip Wilson Show, 227, Good Times, Amen, What's Happening, It's A Different World, The Jackson 5 Show, Cosby Kids, Benson, A Man Called Hawk, Sanfordc& Son, Different Strokes, That's My Mama, The Jeffersons, Frank's Place, Gimme A Break, Family Matters, The New Odd Couple, Melba, What's Happening Now, Webster, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, One On One, South Central, The Parkers, Girlfriends, The Sammy Davis, Jr Show, The Tommy Show.

Dukect

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

A couple of my favorites growing up were Sister Sister, Cosby show,Martin, living single, and Hanging with Mr. Cooper

E

educatedman23

And then we have this hot mess on tv now. Smh. Why can't we go back to the 90s or so where tv was much more wholesome?