Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Black Sitcoms; What Shows did you like?

E

educatedman23

Moesha was very good too! Living Single, In Living Color, Amen, The Cosby Show, The Flip Wilson Show, 227, Good Times, Amen, What's Happening, It's A Different World, The Jackson 5 Show, Cosby Kids, Benson, A Man Called Hawk, Sanfordc& Son, Different Strokes, That's My Mama, The Jeffersons, Frank's Place, Gimme A Break, Family Matters, The New Odd Couple, Melba, What's Happening Now, Webster, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, One On One, South Central, The Parkers, Girlfriends, The Sammy Davis, Jr Show, The Tommy Show.
Im not familiar with some of these shows. Especially Benson, That's My Mama and Melba among some of the others.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Im not familiar with some of these shows. Especially Benson, That's My Mama and Melba among some of the others.
Benson, staring Robert Guilaume, was head of the house staff, who worked for a Governor.
Benson Benson Television show - Google Search
Melba, Melba Moore, is a wonder singer with range that's up there with Minnie Ripperton & Patti Labelle. Her show was only on for a hot minute, but her music is timeless.
Melba Moore Melba Moore - Google Search
That's My Mama, staring Clifton Davis, was about a barbershop owner & all that goes on in the shop & his home life.
That's My Mama That's My Mama - Google Search
You probably weren't even born during this era, but we had lots of Black sitcoms & movies during the 70's, right along with the Soooouuuullll Train! ✊🏽😁

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
I feel left out with some of these shows, and I thought I saw every Black show on TV. I'm in my 30s, and I see I missed so much.
Most of these shows aired while I was in junior high & high school, so I'm certain that you weren't even born back then. It was some of the best times of my life!
Everywhere I went, there were our people dressed right, Afros tight & we ALL acknowledged each with a head nod or a ✊🏽. Consciousness was part of our everyday life & our Black leaders kept us ALL on point & together. Then, they were ALL killed & drugs flooded our community.

SmileyO

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
What ever happened to good black sitcoms like we used to have in the 90s and early 2000s.

Here are some that I used to like....
Martin, My Wife and Kids, The Fresh Prince, Hangin With Mr Cooper, Family Matters, The Steve Harvey Show, A Different World, The Wayans Bros, The Jamie Foxx Show, Sister Sister, Smart Guy, Lincoln Heights, Living Single, Roc, Parenthood, The Cosby Show

These are just a few that I remember.

A lot of the newer shows I just don't enjoy the same. Especially the Tyler Perry stuff. I just feel his work has a lot of negative stereotypes portrayed in unnecessary ways. I feel like with his work we're being laughed at and not laughed with.

A lot of the shows I mentioned above showed working class black people or young black people working their way up and just living life. I didn't feel the stereotyping was so pronounced.

What were some of you favorite shows?
I watched the Jefferson And what's happening and good times