The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Can you fight?

Invincible1914

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
This twitter post got me thinking about what would I do if I was in a confrontation and I had to defend myself:

White dude had no idea what he was doing. He ended up being a punching bag. I've worked as a corrections officer and as nightclub security, but I'm not a fighter. I try to avoid confrontations as much as possible. (Plus I usually wear my glasses)

Where do y'all stand?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I definitely can fight and it’s not theoretic, it’s been tested and honed. The caveat Is that it was in a ring and a street fight is slightly different in that it can be life or death and that any attack can be thrown at you. But I’m fully aware of those facts and can adjust my game. The biggest advantages I would have over the average street fighter is:

1. Stamina - I train to be able to fight in 3 minute blocks with a minute pause inbetween…I know how to manage my energy to make it all 3 minutes. The average person would be throwing haymakers, making too many unecessary movements, and a gas out within the first 2 minutes and by the time I’d be just warming up if I haven’t knocked them out already.
    2. Power - I know to to use my entire body to deliver power in my punches…I can step on my jab and on a cross I pivot my foot, rotate my hip, as my hip rotates I launch my fist out like a missile and right before it hits the target I start to rotate my fist counter clockwise so my knuckle is facing upwards upon impact.
    3. Speed - I’m trained to punch fast, snap my fist back fast, move quickly. This speed also takes in effect when reading my opponent…I’m so used to seeing the punches coming, especially from other people that train that when a normal person throws a punches it feels like it is in slow motion. So I could potentially read their attack before they even finish it and hit them first.
    4. Footwork - I know how to move to be able to deliver maximum power at all times and with any punch, and how to block, slip, weave incoming attacks.
    I picked option 1 and 2 because I always avoid confrontation…I have no reason to fight anyone But if I have to I can handle biz. Doesn’t mean I can’t get my ass whooped but someone definitely have to earn their win against me.

Invincible1914

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    I definitely can fight and it’s not theoretic, it’s been tested and honed. The caveat Is that it was in a ring and a street fight is slightly different in that it can be life or death and that any attack can be thrown at you. But I’m fully aware of those facts and can adjust my game. The biggest advantages I would have over the average street fighter is:

1. Stamina - I train to be able to fight in 3 minute blocks with a minute pause inbetween…I know how to manage my energy to make it all 3 minutes. The average person would be throwing haymakers, making too many unecessary movements, and a gas out within the first 2 minutes and by the time I’d be just warming up if I haven’t knocked them out already.
    2. Power - I know to to use my entire body to deliver power in my punches…I can step on my jab and on a cross I pivot my foot, rotate my hip, as my hip rotates I launch my fist out like a missile and right before it hits the target I start to rotate my fist counter clockwise so my knuckle is facing upwards upon impact.
    3. Speed - I’m trained to punch fast, snap my fist back fast, move quickly. This speed also takes in effect when reading my opponent…I’m so used to seeing the punches coming, especially from other people that train that when a normal person throws a punches it feels like it is in slow motion. So I could potentially read their attack before they even finish it and hit them first.
    4. Footwork - I know how to move to be able to deliver maximum power at all times and with any punch, and how to block, slip, weave incoming attacks.
    I picked option 1 and 2 because I always avoid confrontation…I have no reason to fight anyone But if I have to I can handle biz. Doesn’t mean I can’t get my ass whooped but someone definitely have to earn their win against me.
    I've always found it hilarious when untrained person tries to challenge a trained fighter/boxer with some "Come at my Cuz" energy. Only to get dropped in a matter of seconds. I guess it's just a guilty pleasure.

I wonder if picking up boxing (just the training part eddiemurphyfear) would help me fight off the Larry Holmes flab.

Finesse

Sixer
    zBucks
    If I need to defend myself, I will. I may not be the best when it comes to fighting though. And that's fine, I will defend myself if I have to, even if my defense isn't the greatest. I'll put up as much fight as I possibly can.

I don't go looking for fights either, nor to I like to get into them. But if I need to defend myself from some douche, you bet your ass I will defend as best I can. If I get beat up, so be it, I'm not going down without a fight.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've always found it hilarious when untrained person tries to challenge a trained fighter/boxer with some "Come at my Cuz" energy. Only to get dropped in a matter of seconds. I guess it's just a guilty pleasure.

I wonder if picking up boxing (just the training part eddiemurphyfear) would help me fight off the Larry Holmes flab.
    It absolutely will, it’s an excellent and strenuous workout…just gotta stay away from McDonalds too.

If there’s a gym near you, you should definitely joint. You’ll look like an idiot when you try to do the moves for about a whole year but after that you’ll be shadow boxing in the mirror proud as hell.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I used to fight a lot, mostly with my brothers, but in high school I got into a lot of fights. Mainly because I was bullied, and wouldn't take it. These days, I'm all out of the fighting mood. Have no interest in fighting anymore. But, I will defend myself if needed.
    That’s bad ass that you stood up for yourself. Did you find that after you fought that they stopped messing with you?

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Nope. But I'll put it in context. I finished my last year and a half of HS in the suburbs to get a solid college prep education. Middle class, white, Republican area.

In the hood, I was a nerd, in the suburbs I was Mike Tyson if you understand the meaning. I've been meaning to take self defense courses. I didn't get in many fights anyway, but I am guessing I can't fight based on what I know about myself in physical size, etc and the guys in my area. I didn't have to fight. I had 4 older brothers who were about that life and everyone, including the thugs, wanted to see me do good and go to college so I was protected and allowed to get my school on.

The few fights I had I won but they didn't count according to my brothers because they were white boys and the like..haha. I still plan on taking some self defense classes, just basic so I can disarm someone.

Most importantly, I'm not scared to get into one. If I'm disrespected bad enough, I'll go to them hands. Even if I'll probably lose.

D

Deleted member 1475

I used to get into a lot of fights in primary school and it got really serious when I was doing it in high school and I realised that I wasn't the only kid picking fights anymore and ended up losing one so I stopped fighting after that. When I was out of high-school I saw how dangerous my neighborhood was getting (or I just noticed how dangerous it was) and stuck to streetsmarts. People say it's just me being a wuss but I see it as survival. I want to live a long life.