The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Church aside, what are some things that can bring a community together?

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
People always say a strong collective starts at the home. If you have a strong foundation in your home with your partner, kids, etc. then the next step is to be a part of your community and uplift it. Bring it together. Empower it. What are some things that people can do as individuals (outside of being a member at a church) that can help bring their community together to focus on getting ish fixed, problems solved, and ensuring everyone has each other's backs?

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
Community Host
Tither
App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    People always say a strong collective starts at the home. If you have a strong foundation in your home with your partner, kids, etc. then the next step is to be a part of your community and uplift it. Bring it together. Empower it. What are some things that people can do as individuals (outside of being a member at a church) that can help bring their community together to focus on getting ish fixed, problems solved, and ensuring everyone has each other's backs?
    sad this post has been sitting here all day and no answer, it's hard to answer...

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I think men organizing and having their own space can inspire a neighborhood collectively. Something about men organizing, grouping together to set community standards and rules, makes the people of said community feel safe and looked after. You see this a lot with mobs and gangs, but it doesn't have to be criminal in nature.

I think women could do the same, but would naturally have a different way of looking at things than men. A man's perspective is necessary for the betterment of the community. Men understand danger and protection in a way that women can not. They can predict and prevent things with their involvement and attention alone. Eventually they would bring younger men into the fold to learn to lead and assign positions and responsibilities to a board of trusted members.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think men organizing and having their own space can inspire a neighborhood collectively. Something about men organizing, grouping together to set community standards and rules, makes the people of said community feel safe and looked after. You see this a lot with mobs and gangs, but it doesn't have to be criminal in nature.

I think women could do the same, but would naturally have a different way of looking at things than men. A man's perspective is necessary for the betterment of the community. Men understand danger and protection in a way that women can not. They can predict and prevent things with their involvement and attention alone. Eventually they would bring younger men into the fold to learn to lead and assign positions and responsibilities to a board of trusted members.
    You know where a lot of this conversation happens for me? At the cigar lounge. Some of the most powerful and insightful and productive engagements I have had have been talking to other Black men over a cigar.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

This is true. Things are different for men and women. We need to keep this established even though the white liberals want to act like men and women are not different at all. That is a lie and that lie is destroying communities across the nation. It is sad. I understand this is a hard question to answer though. There are multiple lanes and things that can be done but it is hard to know where to start.

TAILIANNA

Black Communist Daoist Immortal
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    Canada
    Couple we used to have was a community garden and a hang out place where the kids could play games and get food. The community center was big which was a free place you could go on the west end that had basketball and hotdogs and movie nights.

Victorystatus

Smell my cologne...
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    With the resurgent popularity in HBCU Football, the city Jackson is fertal breeding ground for vertical integration across multiple industries.
    We've just begun with Podcast and Tshirt vendors.
    The OG hub of business is the Mom and Pop restaurants and juke joints, and feeding these people is also important.
    These tshirt vendors can jump from athletic apparel to equipment like Russell, Nike and Underarmor inside 5-10yrs and expand to multiple schools.
    We have enough owner operators to transport the players between schools as well as the equipment.
    Working with the NOI or religious groups we buy back land and franchise hotels for ourselves.

☆Amateur and Professional sports bring us together, in a bigger way than the church (given the politics of the pulpit).

Attachments

black_family_watching_tv.jpg
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    You know where a lot of this conversation happens for me? At the cigar lounge. Some of the most powerful and insightful and productive engagements I have had have been talking to other Black men over a cigar.
    I'm glad there are spaces where black men can go and speak with one another. Maybe it doesn't need to be in a community center setting like I suggested, but as long as it happens, that's what's important. We need men to establish rules and fundamentals for the community. I'll write shortly about why we can't leave that up to women.