Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Do we have too many streaming services now?

Stan Zero

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
I feel like every channel now has their own streaming platform. Every major network does or is starting their own streaming platforms if not. I bet what will happen, is that at some point, they're going to make a service that combines all streaming platforms, kind of like how cable tv is, and you'll be able to pay for plans that get you certain streaming channels. In the end, defeating the purpose of streaming platforms to begin with.

But, I'm hopeful that will not happen. But you know how greedy networks and hollywood are, they'll figure out a way I bet. What do you think?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I feel like every channel now has their own streaming platform. Every major network does or is starting their own streaming platforms if not. I bet what will happen, is that at some point, they're going to make a service that combines all streaming platforms, kind of like how cable tv is, and you'll be able to pay for plans that get you certain streaming channels. In the end, defeating the purpose of streaming platforms to begin with.

But, I'm hopeful that will not happen. But you know how greedy networks and hollywood are, they'll figure out a way I bet. What do you think?

Yeah that’s a downside of the decentralization of TV. We went from an expensive cable bill to now having 10 subscription services that equal an expensive cable bill. The good thing is that we can pick and choose what we want. You don’t have to get ESPN if you don’t want, if you only like Disney you can get Disney+ and skip Netflix. We have more option now.

There is too many and most of them won't survive. My guess is there will be mergers going on. I have two and that's it for me I'm not going to have a bunch of bills every month.
    I think the ones with the greatest chance for success are the ones made by large content producers like netflix, Disney, hbo. Any smaller services will end up getting squeezed out the market.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    There is still room for an underdog like myself. I just don't have the rent to pay the major exchanges to house my servers. My platform will be B1 with all original content. I hate Rap music with a passion so I'm still working on a workaround for music because music is big in our community.

Anyhow, my answer is no. Name one media outlet that is owned by B1 and run for B1.

My girl Nicole might come on board when everything is set up. She was personally thanked by Bill Cosby because she was hammering White society over Bill.

I think I have said too much.

Check her out

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I am not condoning it by any means and I do pay a cable bill so I have no guilt... But there are "free" options. Especially now with VPNs, you don't have to pay for jack spit these days. Get one or two streaming sites you know you will use on the regular and you want to support with your money and then find what they don't offer... "elsewhere". lol

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    It’s overwhelming for sure but not as overwhelming as the price of your cable when it jumped up after your one year promotion. Had abro feeling like I took out an interest only home loan the way it kicked up. My comcast bill once jumped from 150 to >300 after the promo, I took those cable boxes back to the cable store faster than you can say xfinit. I got Sling Blue after that and never looked back.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Yes. Way too many streaming services. Add on to it the kids streaming apps. My parents piggyback off my services - so there’s that too. I hate commercials - so I’m ad-free on all devices. I know my total streaming amount has to be at least $150 - $175 for the month, probably the same price as my old cable bill and I cut the cord a long time ago.

I have no self control when it comes to various offers and free streaming tv trials.
    - Amazon Prime
    -Hulu +
    -Peacock TV
    -Apple Tv
    -AMC +
    - Paramount Tv formerly cbs access - I call this the old people channel (I’m basically paying for my parents to stream Blue Blood and CSI-Navy (or whatever that show is with LL Cool J being a naval investigator) in a continuous loop
    -Netflix
    -HBO Max
    -Starz
    - free 30 day trial of showtime
    - Spotify
    - Shudder TV app (gotta have my horror movie content)
    - Disney +
    - Tubi (free.. yaeeee!!)
    -Pluto TV ( free)
    - Starz
    -Epix

I need to join a Streamers Anonymous Recovery program
    jgguilty

Also, whatever random $1.99- $9.99 apple payments show up on my credit card from my daughters IP apps and my son’s music apps .

Pre-Covid we were never home so this wasn’t as much as an issue. But during quarantine is when I became a streaming fiend. Every few months I get frustrated at money auto debits on my card and start canceling app services only to see a movie or series that I like and resubscribe. The enticing offers to come back resist all logical reason.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I am not condoning it by any means and I do pay a cable bill so I have no guilt... But there are "free" options. Especially now with VPNs, you don't have to pay for jack spit these days. Get one or two streaming sites you know you will use on the regular and you want to support with your money and then find what they don't offer... "elsewhere". lol
    Where I’m at in nowheresville, suburb USA - the buffering is too slow for the internet connection or it gets overloaded. Causing the stream to freeze. Everytime it rained or bad weather- same deal. They recently upgraded to Fios though so that issue isn’t as prevalent; But I’m remoting in for work, couldn’t afford to take chances with the lag time. Was not worth the hassle.

Also with the Kodi Install - Exodus Redux, every time I went in- the titles weren’t available in any format. Kept getting the “No Results” message

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Yeah that’s a downside of the decentralization of TV. We went from an expensive cable bill to now having 10 subscription services that equal an expensive cable bill. The good thing is that we can pick and choose what we want. You don’t have to get ESPN if you don’t want, if you only like Disney you can get Disney+ and skip Netflix. We have more option now.

I think the ones with the greatest chance for success are the ones made by large content producers like netflix, Disney, hbo. Any smaller services will end up getting squeezed out the market.
    I think it depends on theniche as well. For example - mysteries, thriller, kids programming- the specialty apps like Shudder TV, AMCPlus, which would be sustainable bc it caters to a specific audience - there’s a huge demand off that market. Netflix is like the go-to place for foreign horror movies abd action films whereas 3-4 years ago wasn’t the case. Rarely do I watch the regular Big 4 network branded shows - because the independent tv productions distributed through them are superior in content quality. They take more risks and don’t have all the agendas or corporate incentives

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    need to join a Streamers Anonymous Recovery program
    mjlol
    I think it depends on theniche as well. For example - mysteries, thriller, kids programming- the specialty apps like Shudder TV, AMCPlus, which would be sustainable bc it caters to a specific audience - there’s a huge demand off that market. Netflix is like the go-to place for foreign horror movies abd action films whereas 3-4 years ago wasn’t the case. Rarely do I watch the regular Big 4 network branded shows - because the independent tv productions distributed through them are superior in content quality. They take more risks and don’t have all the agendas or corporate incentives
    Yeah that’s a really good point.If you ain’t in a niche youre Swiss cheese when it comes to going against a juggernaut like Netflix. I never knew Netflix had foreign horror flicks sewed up…I thought that would be a space a niche provider would play in.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Where I’m at in nowheresville, suburb USA - the buffering is too slow for the internet connection or it gets overloaded. Causing the stream to freeze. Everytime it rained or bad weather- same deal. They recently upgraded to Fios though so that issue isn’t as prevalent; But I’m remoting in for work, couldn’t afford to take chances with the lag time. Was not worth the hassle.

Also with the Kodi Install - Exodus Redux, every time I went in- the titles weren’t available in any format. Kept getting the “No Results” message
    Some spots in the US are horrible for internet connection, I know that. I struggled to find a good provider myself and I have the best option right now and still run into downtime but the connection is solid when it works. You can always find sites that allow you to DL the shows/movies and do it overnight while you sleep. I used to do this when my internet was crap.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    mjlol

Yeah that’s a really good point.If you ain’t in a niche youre Swiss cheese when it comes to going against a juggernaut like Netflix. I never knew Netflix had foreign horror flicks sewed up…I thought that would be a space a niche provider would play in.
    They have foreign action movies on lock IMO- especially French, Italian and Brazilian . Netflix has the Gangland series, Perdida, 7 prisoners, Gomorrah, Suburra,

I’ll create a thread about Netflix : Foreign with more details.

Because I’m sick
    Of the white american male hero trope with Liam Neeson and The Rock in every thing. And that Wonder Woman chick who can’t act for shyt. Once you start watching foreign action flicks - it’s night and day. Over here , every movie is corporatized or agenda-ed up. I think The Departed and Heat are the last movies I liked that had depth to it but those are old. New to me bc I watched them over the quarantine.

And right now, Koreans have the horror game on Netflix. But nothing is matching horror movies like Blumhouse productions over here in the states. Malignant on hbo Max was fire.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Some spots in the US are horrible for internet connection, I know that. I struggled to find a good provider myself and I have the best option right now and still run into downtime but the connection is solid when it works. You can always find sites that allow you to DL the shows/movies and do it overnight while you sleep. I used to do this when my internet was crap.
    Thanks! Download is a good suggestion.

I’ve been wilding with the streaming bc you’re right when you say there’s more cost effective methods other than paying for sites. Especially now that we’re moving back to “normalcy” - return to work which means- gas, tolls, work clothes, lunch, and all of the stuff that I didn’t have to spend on over the past couple of years are now becoming a factor again. That surplus streaming $$ and expendable income adds up quick. My brother is still paying $225 for cable - he’s bugging. Because the same content comes to streaming and vpn if he just waits a few weeks. But he watches a lot of sports so I guess he needs to watch live. I have no desire for it.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Of the white american male hero trope with Liam Neeson and The Rock in every thing.
    Yooooo Reacher is the epitome of this stupid bullshit. One white dude beating up half the town and saving the day is so tired. I see superhero movies as an extension of this but it’s the white american male hero in tights with super powers instead of a tight crewneck. It’s so good to see someone else tired of that nonsense.

Stan Zero

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Yes. Way too many streaming services. Add on to it the kids streaming apps. My parents piggyback off my services - so there’s that too. I hate commercials - so I’m ad-free on all devices. I know my total streaming amount has to be at least $150 - $175 for the month, probably the same price as my old cable bill and I cut the cord a long time ago.

I have no self control when it comes to various offers and free streaming tv trials.
    - Amazon Prime
    -Hulu +
    -Peacock TV
    -Apple Tv
    -AMC +
    - Paramount Tv formerly cbs access - I call this the old people channel (I’m basically paying for my parents to stream Blue Blood and CSI-Navy (or whatever that show is with LL Cool J being a naval investigator) in a continuous loop
    -Netflix
    -HBO Max
    -Starz
    - free 30 day trial of showtime
    - Spotify
    - Shudder TV app (gotta have my horror movie content)
    - Disney +
    - Tubi (free.. yaeeee!!)
    -Pluto TV ( free)
    - Starz
    -Epix

I need to join a Streamers Anonymous Recovery program
    jgguilty

Also, whatever random $1.99- $9.99 apple payments show up on my credit card from my daughters IP apps and my son’s music apps .

Pre-Covid we were never home so this wasn’t as much as an issue. But during quarantine is when I became a streaming fiend. Every few months I get frustrated at money auto debits on my card and start canceling app services only to see a movie or series that I like and resubscribe. The enticing offers to come back resist all logical reason.
    There's just so many. I remember when it was just Netflix, Hulu and a couple others, now there is one for every damn network out there.

Yooooo Reacher is the epitome of this stupid bullshit. One white dude beating up half the town and saving the day is so tired. I see superhero movies as an extension of this but it’s the white american male hero in tights with super powers instead of a tight crewneck. It’s so good to see someone else tired of that nonsense.
    Yeah that Reacher show looks laughable to me. The whole white dude secret agent or tough ex military dude saving the day, is played out. You know what's going to happen, how it'll happen and it'll be all in the name of America! Blah blah. Same BS different day essentially.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah that Reacher show looks laughable to me. The whole white dude secret agent or tough ex military dude saving the day, is played out. You know what's going to happen, how it'll happen and it'll be all in the name of America! Blah blah. Same BS different day essentially.
    He beats everyone's ass, comes through some adversity, Mega Villain has Mega Weapon...we don't think Reacher can beat him, he screws the main chick, he finds the Mega Weapon deactivator, beats the bag guy, and wins the day.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    If you ever see one foreign action film in your life- you HAVE to watch this! Oh my gawdddd!!! It’s a French action film in line with The Departed by 10x more intensity. This French movie - ROGUE CITY. (And please do not watch it in American dubbed version lol) just block out 2 hours of whatever day, use the subtitles and watch straight through. Trust me - you will not be disappointed. This movie stunts on any made in the white USA manmade for white men action movie. I also like this movie because it’s the anti-hero movie - nonstop tension from start to finish. And the ending. there’s so many twists eddiemurphyfearmy exact reaction was : jamesearljones
    View: https://youtu.be/w1Ww62eIwOI

View: https://youtu.be/MmSfjADi_e8

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If you ever see one foreign action film in your life- you HAVE to watch this! Oh my gawdddd!!! It’s a French action film in line with The Departed by 10x more intensity. This French movie - ROGUE CITY. (And please do not watch it in American dubbed version lol) just block out 2 hours of whatever day, use the subtitles and watch straight through. Trust me - you will not be disappointed. This movie stunts on any made in the white USA manmade for white men action movie. I also like this movie because it’s the anti-hero movie - nonstop tension from start to finish. And the ending. there’s so many twists eddiemurphyfearmy exact reaction was : jamesearljones
    View: https://youtu.be/w1Ww62eIwOI

View: https://youtu.be/MmSfjADi_e8
    I'll watch it just for you.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I'll watch it just for you.
    nialonglaugh
    Cool.

People sleep on foreign movies bc of the language barrier but there are really good ones out there once you know what to look for. Like I said, I’ll make that thread so people can get an idea - tired of all the white boying with these so called mega blockbuster productions - what pushed me over the edge was that damn Godzilla v Kong, and Wonder Woman84. Which is basically Anything from HBOMax released this year and last. If it wasn’t for “Malignant” and “The wayans Bros” sitcom - I would have cancelled HBNo Go a long time ago.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thanks! Download is a good suggestion.

I’ve been wilding with the streaming bc you’re right when you say there’s more cost effective methods other than paying for sites. Especially now that we’re moving back to “normalcy” - return to work which means- gas, tolls, work clothes, lunch, and all of the stuff that I didn’t have to spend on over the past couple of years are now becoming a factor again. That surplus streaming $$ and expendable income adds up quick. My brother is still paying $225 for cable - he’s bugging. Because the same content comes to streaming and vpn if he just waits a few weeks. But he watches a lot of sports so I guess he needs to watch live. I have no desire for it.
    There are streaming options though for live sports. If quality isn't important, some of those options are free as well. I have helped my brothers get games going on their phones or laptops when they weren't being shown through cable. There is a work-around for most things these days.