The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Do you 'move in silence?'

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
By moving in silence I mean keep your goals and moves to yourself until they're done or set in stone. I was reading something that said it was important for women to do this because announcing your goals can sometimes put a target on your back and you'll have people trying to tear you down. I think this applies to any POC though, you never know who's waiting for you to slip up so they can knock you down. So do you keep your goals to yourself or do you announce them?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You always have to move in silence especially when you’re around go-getters because they could hear your idea and move on it faster than you do. In addition, it’s better to have a vocabulary of “I did”, “I’m doing” instead of “I’m going to” and “I’m finsta”. When you use a future based statement like “I’m going to” as It leaves the door open for folks to criticize you when what you actually did is not exactly what you said it was going to be in the beginning.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Oh absolutely. I have had friends who found out my dreams and goals and would actually try and get in my way just so I wasn't more successful than they were. Women can be really catty and pathetic. If you have the added thrill of being a black woman, then you really have to watch who you share stuff with. Roadblocks and walls are always being pushed in front of us. I had an ex try to talk me out of going to community college. His reason? He didn't want to feel inferior to me holding a degree over him. I dumped him real quick.

Finesse

Sixer
    zBucks
    I'm very paranoid about revealing my ideas and thoughts. I like to keep most of that stuff private and away from anyone who could take it. So I rarely speak out loud about what ideas I have and what I am trying to do. I had a girlfriend in the past who told people everything I told her, so my trust has kinda gotten worse over the years because of that.

Ever since, I wait to tell anyone I even trust. It's that bad.

Jball

Registered
    zBucks
    Definitely, I am not in the habit of showing of everything and I deeply believe moving in silence protects us from evils eye and outside’s negativity. People don’t want you to flourish and will certainly try to block your way. That’s the reason, I keep my plans private and announce my victory.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    You know, one of the reasons I left social media platforms was down to this very reason. Seldom can I find a group of people who can support you in your goals, ideas, or aspirations. Like my family and close friends support me but passive friends or online friends, they will almost certainly stab you in the back if it favors them. Can't feel comfortable or safe talking about a lot of the topics you can on here over on Twitter. Someone is bound to get offended and look to ruin you even over a misunderstanding or worse, use you to get a leg up.

E

educatedman23

By moving in silence I mean keep your goals and moves to yourself until they're done or set in stone. I was reading something that said it was important for women to do this because announcing your goals can sometimes put a target on your back and you'll have people trying to tear you down. I think this applies to any POC though, you never know who's waiting for you to slip up so they can knock you down. So do you keep your goals to yourself or do you announce them?
    I try to move in silence so NOBODY can sabotage my plans. Also, I know I have had some jealous folks around me. "How did you get all that money?" This is a question I was asked often. I don't owe them an explanation. I've learned to move in silence because people cannot attack what they do not know exists.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    A major pass time of a lot of our people is looking for new and creative ways to tear each other down when one of us tries to elevate and climb out the bucket. I keep many of my goals, dreams, and aspirations under wraps. You put your goals on front street and instead of questioning you to encourage you and hold you to them, a lot of black folk will try you and try to discourage you. Long story short, better to do than to say.

Samuelrejoyce

Registered
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    There are two sides to this, when you announce your plans sometimes, it makes you feel that you have achieved it and so makes you feel relaxed. Science pins a hormone to this however, you can announce your goals as a way of getting accountability. I remember the time i wrote my first Ebook, I went online to announce the release date to my community . As at the morning of that day, I hadnt finished writing it but because i knew that a lot of people will order, I got to work and finished before the set time.

E

educatedman23

A major pass time of a lot of our people is looking for new and creative ways to tear each other down when one of us tries to elevate and climb out the bucket. I keep many of my goals, dreams, and aspirations under wraps. You put your goals on front street and instead of questioning you to encourage you and hold you to them, a lot of black folk will try you and try to discourage you. Long story short, better to do than to say.
    These White folks are not gonna let you do that. Lol.