The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Do you think schools need to do more to teach about American history?

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
American history is full of racism and hate and I think often that stuff gets overlooked today. I don't know how schools teach history these days, but I found out recently when I went into college, that I didn't even know about a lot of what happened in our history. There's so much of history that kids don't know, that if they did, they would see the US being even worse.

I remember learning about a lot of horrible things the US did when I was in elementary school, but I feel like kids these days, are taught about it differently. I blame it on how people want things to be safe for their children. So I have a feeling that a lot of schools don't teach about horrible things until someone is a teen. I feel like this stuff should be taught early on, to teach them that hate is bad, and that we need to learn from the past to be better. We have come far since then, but there is a ton of work that needs to be done even today.

I think it starts with schools. They need to teach our children and their children about not just the good, but all the horrible shit the US has done to its own citizens. idk, I just feel like it's being overlooked by schools these days to make schooling more safe for kids. That's how I'm seeing it anyway. What do you think?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It’s being removed from education and it’s because the USA markets itself as a global force for good but it can’t be true if it has a history of racism and abuse that it still hasn’t rectified. That’s why Critical Race Theory has become so visible because it allows them to demonize something that isn’t even clearly defined. They can say ”we are banning critical race theory” and then it allows them to remove slavery, Jim crow, etc from the curriculum.

Does America need to teach the true history? Yes. But it’s like if Nazis were still in power and we ask them will they teach the truth about what they did to the Jews…it would never happen. This country is ran by people who are not sorry for Slavery, Jim Crow, Mass Incarceration, The War on Drugs, etc. The USA is a White Supremacist nation, it’s just easier to accept that these things are true when looking externally like lets say looking at Russia or Nazi Germany.

Prankster

Sixer
    zBucks
    It’s being removed from education and it’s because the USA markets itself as a global force for good but it can’t be true if it has a history of racism and abuse that it still hasn’t rectified. That’s why Critical Race Theory has become so visible because it allows them to demonize something that isn’t even clearly defined. They can say ”we are banning critical race theory” and then it allows them to remove slavery, Jim crow, etc from the curriculum.

Does America need to teach the true history? Yes. But it’s like if Nazis were still in power and we ask them will they teach the truth about what they did to the Jews…it would never happen. This country is ran by people who are not sorry for Slavery, Jim Crow, Mass Incarceration, The War on Drugs, etc. The USA is a White Supremacist nation, it’s just easier to accept that these things are true when looking externally like lets say looking at Russia or Nazi Germany.
    Yeah that's true. Why would they allow schools to teach any of those subjects when they're still trying to impose most of it. Critical race theory was banned in the schools here. It's that kind of thing that shows you nothing has really changed.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah that's true. Why would they allow schools to teach any of those subjects when they're still trying to impose most of it. Critical race theory was banned in the schools here. It's that kind of thing that shows you nothing has really changed.
    Yup. They are unrepentant…they ant to remove every mention of Blackness is removed out of the history books.

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You know damn well the schools arent doing this to protect kids until theyre teens because those same schools will teach about the holocaust multiple times a year. I remember doing a holocaust unit three times in elementary and twice in high school.
    This is such a great point, I never thought of it like that. If teaching history of Black people in the USA is so damaging to their psyche why are they teaching them about the plight of Jews in Nazi Germany?

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    They want to rewrite history. In typical Marxist fashion, they have to destroy a lot of it first. They do it with the face of "fighting for diversity" and "standing up for minorities". Nothing they are doing in the schools benefits the children or the future at this point. It only ensures the black people stay at the bottom and everyone else gets pushed down there too.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They want to rewrite history. In typical Marxist fashion, they have to destroy a lot of it first. They do it with the face of "fighting for diversity" and "standing up for minorities". Nothing they are doing in the schools benefits the children or the future at this point. It only ensures the black people stay at the bottom and everyone else gets pushed down there too.
    Amen, preach. They want all their buffer classes to learn that America is this benevolent country and they will help reinforce the hierarchy.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You know damn well the schools arent doing this to protect kids until theyre teens because those same schools will teach about the holocaust multiple times a year. I remember doing a holocaust unit three times in elementary and twice in high school.
    Yea

I heard about the holocaust non-stop in modern world history in both high school and in college.

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm a man rkellyfear

but yeah, can't expect them to do anything good for us
    well you are named after a female character on the wire so…it’s an honest mistake

Animated GIF

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Nothing coming from my fingers is some revelationary but like you all I don't see why anyone would expect our open enemy to advocate for our interests. We need to stop acting like the old niggas of yesterday and realize it is do or die. We are at breaking point where only the most ingenious of us will make it after 2030. The USA has their strategy in overdrive and they are replacing us and rapidly. If we don't tighten up, Black is gonna be Lil Nas X, Meg the Stallion and that's it.

Zack_puffs

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks

True true can't deny that.

Deluge

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean

Critical Race Theory at its core was pretty well defined and easy to understand. It was recent revisionism, mainly by white feminists, that made it vague and undermined it.
    Dr. Tommy J. Curry wrote a great paper warning about this in 2009.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Critical Race Theory at its core was pretty well defined and easy to understand. It was recent revisionism, mainly by white feminists, that made it vague and undermined it.
    I think they made a huge mistake with the vague ass title. With such a wide title like that it makes it easy to be co-opted and still apply. If it was like for example: The True Story of the USA’s Treatment of Black Americans, it would be hard to alter it and water it down. I’m going to read the article you posted I always wanted to know the deal with it.

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    nice post man gon check this out

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I think they made a huge mistake with the vague ass title. With such a wide title like that it makes it easy to be co-opted and still apply. If it was like for example: The True Story of the USA’s Treatment of Black Americans, it would be hard to alter it and water it down. I’m going to read the article you posted I always wanted to know the deal with it.
    I agree. Black people especially need this type of definition if only to understand that white supremacist do not want to tell the truth about us! No one cares about the Alamo (which I so believe include blacks, but no one knows that) or teaching about native history. They are okay teaching that. They don't want to tell the truth about black people.

Black people are arguing that CRT is for colleges and this and that when that's not the point. White supremacy is saying, that at no level, will you teach true history. That's the point. We need to get out of this silly liberal mindset. We're not fighting the right horse. We think this is about a misunderstanding about CRT when it's really about white people saying "nope, we ain't telling no one about your history here".

If we did what you said and called it what it is, it would be clear to more of our sheep that white supremacy don't want to mention our genocide to any degree. But we want to hide behind theories, Trojan horses 🐎, and strawmen.

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    American history is full of racism and hate and I think often that stuff gets overlooked today. I don't know how schools teach history these days, but I found out recently when I went into college, that I didn't even know about a lot of what happened in our history. There's so much of history that kids don't know, that if they did, they would see the US being even worse.

I remember learning about a lot of horrible things the US did when I was in elementary school, but I feel like kids these days, are taught about it differently. I blame it on how people want things to be safe for their children. So I have a feeling that a lot of schools don't teach about horrible things until someone is a teen. I feel like this stuff should be taught early on, to teach them that hate is bad, and that we need to learn from the past to be better. We have come far since then, but there is a ton of work that needs to be done even today.

I think it starts with schools. They need to teach our children and their children about not just the good, but all the horrible ish the US has done to its own citizens. idk, I just feel like it's being overlooked by schools these days to make schooling more safe for kids. That's how I'm seeing it anyway. What do you think?
    Thing is, we may not want them to teach our history, because they can't. Even the most willing white people are not honest with themselves. What our kids need to know, can't be taught in schools.

My father had me watching all types of stuff about our history at a very young age. I'd cry and cry. I remember asking my dad "why hasn't a black man hung a white man in a tree?" ( I'm not suggesting that a black man does this). But the look on my father's face when I asked that was a look of sadness, embarrassment, anger, and confusion all in one. I didn't ask again.

My grandmother told me growing up how attractive she was and how she used to go to clubs and dance all night and have fun. It was fun hearing about it, until I realized that she never spoke about white supremacy. So I asked her once, "what were white people like when you were growing up?". She says "oh I don't know" in an annoyed tone.

I then spent years telling myself that my grandmother was so traumatized that she couldn't deal with the memories. That she didn't want to hurt us. But now I understand that I gave her too much credit and empathy.

She didn't care. She accepted her place in society, and to her, it was her rightful place. She didn't see herself as anything worth more than what she was told she was, and that was okay with her. As long as she was cute and could dance at the club. Other details of her life proved this.

I'm not saying this to disrespect my grandmother, I'm saying this because it's true for a lot of our grandmother's. They are and were complacent, and we have to understand that. They weren't the one in the tree, so they didn't care. This carelessness and selfishness didn't begin with millennials, but let them tell it. They weren't these intelligent strong diligent people that wanted change. No most of them wanted sex, liquor and money. Same thing they say we want now.

We have to start from an honest place within ourselves before we can really understand our history. There was and will always only be a few of us that are real, ready, and able. There will never be even close to a majority.

Our own history, forget white people for a second, teaches us that we're bad, that we're misinformed, that we're entitled, lazy, and greedy. But no, we're not, we're the ones that are fighting for who we thought our parents and grandparents were. It's time for us to start fighting for ourselves and our kids, our futures. As far as I'm concerned, both black and white people have been lying about our history both to make themselves look better AT OUR EXPENSE. We got both sides calling our sons thugs and calling our daughters degrading names.

We need to revise history by looking at the fruit of it. These old people are not acting like they fought for anything, and that's because they didn't. The Civil Rights Movement was no different than the BLM movement. Both products of selfish blacks and whites that together, are willing to oppress our futures to improve the rest of their frivolous lives.

Look how they let MLK die (I'm not his biggest fan), but they didn't do anything but fry some bacon after that. Maybe it's because he's served his purpose to both sides. They knew he was coming for reparations and both whites and blacks thought that was too much. So they cut him loose. I'm done

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Thing is, we may not want them to teach our history, because they can't. Even the most willing white people are not honest with themselves. What our kids need to know, can't be taught in schools.

My father had me watching all types of stuff about our history at a very young age. I'd cry and cry. I remember asking my dad "why hasn't a black man hung a white man in a tree?" ( I'm not suggesting that a black man does this). But the look on my father's face when I asked that was a look of sadness, embarrassment, anger, and confusion all in one. I didn't ask again.

My grandmother told me growing up how attractive she was and how she used to go to clubs and dance all night and have fun. It was fun hearing about it, until I realized that she never spoke about white supremacy. So I asked her once, "what were white people like when you were growing up?". She says "oh I don't know" in an annoyed tone.

I then spent years telling myself that my grandmother was so traumatized that she couldn't deal with the memories. That she didn't want to hurt us. But now I understand that I gave her too much credit and empathy.

She didn't care. She accepted her place in society, and to her, it was her rightful place. She didn't see herself as anything worth more than what she was told she was, and that was okay with her. As long as she was cute and could dance at the club. Other details of her life proved this.

I'm not saying this to disrespect my grandmother, I'm saying this because it's true for a lot of our grandmother's. They are and were complacent, and we have to understand that. They weren't the one in the tree, so they didn't care. This carelessness and selfishness didn't begin with millennials, but let them tell it. They weren't these intelligent strong diligent people that wanted change. No most of them wanted sex, liquor and money. Same thing they say we want now.

We have to start from an honest place within ourselves before we can really understand our history. There was and will always only be a few of us that are real, ready, and able. There will never be even close to a majority.

Our own history, forget white people for a second, teaches us that we're bad, that we're misinformed, that we're entitled, lazy, and greedy. But no, we're not, we're the ones that are fighting for who we thought our parents and grandparents were. It's time for us to start fighting for ourselves and our kids, our futures. As far as I'm concerned, both black and white people have been lying about our history both to make themselves look better AT OUR EXPENSE. We got both sides calling our sons thugs and calling our daughters degrading names.

We need to revise history by looking at the fruit of it. These old people are not acting like they fought for anything, and that's because they didn't. The Civil Rights Movement was no different than the BLM movement. Both products of selfish blacks and whites that together, are willing to oppress our futures to improve the rest of their frivolous lives.

Look how they let MLK die (I'm not his biggest fan), but they didn't do anything but fry some bacon after that. Maybe it's because he's served his purpose to both sides. They knew he was coming for reparations and both whites and blacks thought that was too much. So they cut him loose. I'm done
    I have nothing to add you have been dropping absolute boulders on the site.

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    I'm so happy I can express myself here without looking crazy
    You are the type of individual I was seeking to connect with when I signed up here. It's great to see a lot of like minds, we need to preserve this as much as possible.