The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Does anyone here have their own YouTube? Is it worth creating content there?

Real One

Sixer
zBucks
I've wanted to try my hands at becoming a YouTuber, but it sees YouTube is dying out as of late. Does anyone here do YouTube? How is it? If you're getting the views, are you making good money as well? Back in the day I heard YouTube was great for making money, but these days it seems like it's not as useful anymore, and it's also tougher to get into.

Do you think it's even worth it to jump into YouTube now with all the changed they've made over the years?

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I've been debating getting on YouTube for awhile. I even started one a couple times but never stuck with it. I know it's a lot of hard work to constantly create content so you're posting on a set schedule though. I think you can still make good money with it, you just have to grind it out in the beginning until you hit on something people want to see.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I tried to get one started a few years back. I wanted to do one about self-love and care for skin, hair, and self. It seems like it is so overly saturated on there with content at this point, you'd have to be lucky to get a decent following. Good cameras, editing, and being an entertaining person don't cut it anymore. I have a friend who does a YouTube channel... Well, I should say "did" one. She was making enough to work part-time but then her revenue tanked and she had to go back to full-time and didn't have enough time to actually record and edit videos so she gave up on it.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've been debating getting on YouTube for awhile. I even started one a couple times but never stuck with it. I know it's a lot of hard work to constantly create content so you're posting on a set schedule though. I think you can still make good money with it, you just have to grind it out in the beginning until you hit on something people want to see.

I tried to get one started a few years back. I wanted to do one about self-love and care for skin, hair, and self. It seems like it is so overly saturated on there with content at this point, you'd have to be lucky to get a decent following. Good cameras, editing, and being an entertaining person don't cut it anymore. I have a friend who does a YouTube channel... Well, I should say "did" one. She was making enough to work part-time but then her revenue tanked and she had to go back to full-time and didn't have enough time to actually record and edit videos so she gave up on it.

Both are straight facts. @Real One it can work out but at the end of the day you’ll be a slave to an algorithm made by Googl that you’ll never fully understand that can change at any moment and take your earnings from HERO to ZERO overnight.

My advice is that if you want to use youtube as a means of generating income, look at yourself like a fisherman. You’re the fisherman, your Boat is your Website, Youtube is the Ocean, their viewers are the Fish, and your content is the Worm and Hook.

What you wanna do is bait the fish in the youtube ocean and once you hook them, get them on the boat so that you own and control the relationship. You need to have content, merch, and etc on your own site and lead the viewers on youtube to it so you can generate income there and not have to rely on superchats and ads (Things Google can take from you).

When I had a sports memorabilia business, 90% of our income came from selling on eBay…you know what my #1 concern was? Getting them to buy from my site directly, so I put coupon cards in every box that went out to an eBay user.

When you’re on a marketplace like eBay, Amazon, Youtube, etc…they can shut you down at any time for any reason and if it’s your sole source of income, you can be screwed overnight.

This is why there are labor laws to stop companies from doing that when you’re employed. But when you’re in an independent contractor type relationship with one of these dystopian future tech companies you are fully at their mercy and the second they have no use for you they will destroy you.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Both are straight facts. @Real One it can work out but at the end of the day you’ll be a slave to an algorithm made by Googl that you’ll never fully understand that can change at any moment and take your earnings from HERO to ZERO overnight.

My advice is that if you want to use youtube as a means of generating income, look at yourself like a fisherman. You’re the fisherman, your Boat is your Website, Youtube is the Ocean, their viewers are the Fish, and your content is the Worm and Hook.

What you wanna do is bait the fish in the youtube ocean and once you hook them, get them on the boat so that you own and control the relationship. You need to have content, merch, and etc on your own site and lead the viewers on youtube to it so you can generate income there and not have to rely on superchats and ads (Things Google can take from you).

When I had a sports memorabilia business, 90% of our income came from selling on eBay…you know what my #1 concern was? Getting them to buy from my site directly, so I put coupon cards in every box that went out to an eBay user.

When you’re on a marketplace like eBay, Amazon, Youtube, etc…they can shut you down at any time for any reason and if it’s your sole source of income, you can be screwed overnight.

This is why there are labor laws to stop companies from doing that when you’re employed. But when you’re in an independent contractor type relationship with one of these dystopian future tech companies you are fully at their mercy and the second they have no use for you they will destroy you.
    This is why you build contacts everywhere you go. If you have something someone else wants, needs, or enjoys... You make damn sure they know where to find you. I think it is fantastic that anyone can be a business owner online these days but you have to make sure you protect yourself.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I’ve been contemplating doing it for a while. I want to interview musicians, photographers and other creatives and make a podcast out of it. Maybe next year...

My old channel already has 950 subscribers, so that’ll help me get monetized faster. I think you need 1000 and a certain amount of watch hours
    Man you better do it, I'll support it any way I can!

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I’ve been contemplating doing it for a while. I want to interview musicians, photographers and other creatives and make a podcast out of it. Maybe next year...

My old channel already has 950 subscribers, so that’ll help me get monetized faster. I think you need 1000 and a certain amount of watch hours
    You also need engagement with your audience in order to get monetized now.
    If you already have 950 subscribers, then you should keep going. You're too close to quit!

DaBeast

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Forget YouTube, stream instead. YouTube is dying when it comes to making content. But streaming has gotten bigger and bigger. I watch some streamers that just talk and that draws many viewers in. I recommend just jumping on Twitch and some other streaming sites. If you want to stick with YouTube, stream on there too.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    how the hell they measure that?
    They keep track of if and how many people like, unlike, share, & comment on your videos.
    Btw, you get the same credit for likes & dislikes.
    Also, they track how many subscribers you have vs how many of them actually watch & interact with your content.

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    They keep track of if and how many people like, unlike, share, & comment on your videos.
    Also, they track how many subscribers you have vs how many of them actually watch & interact with your content.
    Exactly this! That's why it's so hard to make it on YouTube (or any platform) without a lot of work. You have to constantly keep your audience entertained and engaged.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Exactly this! That's why it's so hard to make it on YouTube (or any platform) without a lot of work. You have to constantly keep your audience entertained and engaged.
    …and then YouTube can take it at any time. They can boost you and make you world famous or bury you in the dirt.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    oh no cooking GIF by Hell's Kitchen
    Going to college don’t look so bad anymore with all that shit.

D

Deleted member 1946

I think it is only worth it if you have something to say in a way that will captivate an audience. Otherwise, folks either won't find you. Or if they do find you, they will watch less than a minute and click off either because the person is boring or your channel is not something that is for them.

Totvi_Podcast

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    I've wanted to try my hands at becoming a YouTuber, but it sees YouTube is dying out as of late. Does anyone here do YouTube? How is it? If you're getting the views, are you making good money as well? Back in the day I heard YouTube was great for making money, but these days it seems like it's not as useful anymore, and it's also tougher to get into.

Do you think it's even worth it to jump into YouTube now with all the changed they've made over the years?
    I have a channel on you tube. I am just starting to use it to promote my podcast. I just place my drops up there , just to see how much traction I get. But I know YouTube do give certain Black content creators as hard time to have their content reach viewers.

D

Deleted member 1946

Youtube shorts are the way to go Tik Tok is getting ready to get banned as this war ramps up......just be aware short videos first and continue to build from there I have a channel but I haven't broadcast from it as of yet. Good luck to you and most of all go for it! ✊🏿💯
    I love shorts, but I don't watch them as I often as I want to since I realize that shorts help reduce a person's attention span.

ZxBro
    ZxBro
    People already have a short attention span especially when scrolling the internet the only way to get people to invest 1 or more hours in what you're saying is to be interactive in my opinion other than that jump in their attention span and jump out have interesting content and they'll keep coming back that's why Twitter spaces and some blogtalks can go on for hours because they are interactive.....just my opinion from observation what's working for people.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yep. They do this all the time. They push the sellouts and folks talking about non-threatening to the power structure topics and bury people who really want us to come together.
    As they should. I wouldn’t let anyone talk about overthrowing me on my platform.

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by Martin

Bahni.Klyde.Reacts

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

it has its ups and downs. The algorithm + Popular content will dictate a lot of view time. We have a bunch of ninja watchers on some of our content. Conversion of those watchers is the hard part.

We made our channel based on science and social culture. I say that because you should have a niche/priority first then branch.

-Klyde

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    That's not my calling. No way I would do it. Just not me. I've been asked a couple times but have always declined. I'm a behind the scenes guy. I would say this though, if you feel you have a unique voice that you want heard, start a channel as an outlet for your passion/feelings and not to make money. People love and support authenticity. If it makes money great, but if not, it's okay.

My only worry about someone who is on Youtube to make money is, if your subs are slow and views get lower, you might be persuaded to compromise your values. We've all seen people compromise who they are for more views, more subs. And there are some spaces where that can't happen and that is black empowerment.

I also think there are a few niches out there that don't have enough or possibly any voices. One of them would be a non FBA person or persons who are B1 and support Tariq, etc and has a program aimed at non FBAs who are off code or want questions explained but all parties agree to stay away from the roasting, etc and talk honestly. Especially a person of African ancestry but another of Caribbean as well, maybe 2 or 3 of them with a woman's voice in there as well. It would also cover the issues in cultures in black culture. A black British voice would also be a good addition. DIscuss pan Africanism, reparations in America as well as the diaspora as well.

I think there is a niche for a program with black folks who are B1, conservative and Democrat party, but only if they are all intellectually honest. Have a live fact checker like what Joe Rogan or Patrick Bet David sometimes has.

D

Deleted member 1946

it has its ups and downs. The algorithm + Popular content will dictate a lot of view time. We have a bunch of ninja watchers on some of our content. Conversion of those watchers is the hard part.

We made our channel based on science and social culture. I say that because you should have a niche/priority first then branch.

-Klyde
    I wonder how much watch time is generated by AI bots.

D

Deleted member 1946

That's not my calling. No way I would do it. Just not me. I've been asked a couple times but have always declined. I'm a behind the scenes guy. I would say this though, if you feel you have a unique voice that you want heard, start a channel as an outlet for your passion/feelings and not to make money. People love and support authenticity. If it makes money great, but if not, it's okay.

My only worry about someone who is on Youtube to make money is, if your subs are slow and views get lower, you might be persuaded to compromise your values. We've all seen people compromise who they are for more views, more subs. And there are some spaces where that can't happen and that is black empowerment.

I also think there are a few niches out there that don't have enough or possibly any voices. One of them would be a non FBA person or persons who are B1 and support Tariq, etc and has a program aimed at non FBAs who are off code or want questions explained but all parties agree to stay away from the roasting, etc and talk honestly. Especially a person of African ancestry but another of Caribbean as well, maybe 2 or 3 of them with a woman's voice in there as well. It would also cover the issues in cultures in black culture. A black British voice would also be a good addition. DIscuss pan Africanism, reparations in America as well as the diaspora as well.

I think there is a niche for a program with black folks who are B1, conservative and Democrat party, but only if they are all intellectually honest. Have a live fact checker like what Joe Rogan or Patrick Bet David sometimes has.
    I'm definitely a behind the scenes person. I like to move in silence. I don't like to be seen. I like your ideas you presented in the 3rd paragraph. How many of them see things that way? That's the big question.