The Streets

Leave your "boujeeness" at the door. Celeb gossip and other debauchery goes down here.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Drake Is Upset Because Nobody Thinks He's Black Enough

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
I don't think Drake is any worse about the Black community than damn near all the artists in his category. I am happy for him and his money, I like a few of his songs but I didn't listen to him that tough but the stuff I did hear I liked. I know I'm not supposed to say that as a black male...lol...but I do.

Also, Drake heard this not being black enough from the people around him. This wasn't some grass roots, type of thing. As I said previously above, I've never, ever heard regular black folks like you and me say he wasn't black or black enough. Ever.

OTR

Sixer
Community Host
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I don’t really listen to Drake’s music and I can’t discount what he’s saying but I think it’s cultural more than racial. I would guess that people see him as a Canadian nigga and so that rejection he is feeling is cats not accepting him as Black American. I may be wrong because I don’t listen to his music or follow him. But I never see him as yo that’s a Black man I just see him as Drake.
His light-skin appearance is what has propelled him to stardom too. He is widely accepted by the dominant society kinda like how Sean Paul is widely accepted in comparison to let's say Beenie Man or Buju Banton. Same thing with Bob Marley being widely accepted in comparison to Peter Tosh.

OTR

Sixer
Community Host
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I don’t really listen to Drake’s music and I can’t discount what he’s saying but I think it’s cultural more than racial. I would guess that people see him as a Canadian nigga and so that rejection he is feeling is cats not accepting him as Black American. I may be wrong because I don’t listen to his music or follow him. But I never see him as yo that’s a Black man I just see him as Drake.
His light-skin appearance is what has propelled him to stardom too. He is widely accepted by the dominant society kinda like how Sean Paul is widely accepted in comparison to let's say Beenie Man or Buju Banton. Same thing with Bob Marley being widely accepted in comparison to Peter Tosh.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Sean Paul is white though and Drake is accepted as an entertainer but is he accepted as White?

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

A few quotes from the clip:

"I've been told by people i look up to that i can't identify and i don't belong"

Drake can go sit down some damn where! When has he EVER spoken up and used his platform to help address Black American #Freedmen issues? Then, he had a child by a white woman, if he was so black identifying would he not want a child from a Black woman so his child could be as well? He actually chose to DILUTE his blackness.

"Sometimes some of my blackest friends can be just as cruel on the other end by making you feel excluded"

D

"I don't feel celebra

ted as a black artist . I dont feel like someone says wow a black artist is the artist of the decade... and i associate myself as a black man"

OTR

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Sean Paul is white though and Drake is accepted as an entertainer but is he accepted as White?

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
    Drake is half-jewish and aligned with the dominant society in the music industry. He is basically a white man with a tan so he can code switch to appeal to both whites and blacks. J.Cole is of mixed race but I consider him a black artist in comparison to Drake.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Drake is half-jewish and aligned with the dominant society in the music industry. He is basically a white man with a tan so he can code switch to appeal to both whites and blacks. J.Cole is of mixed race but I consider him a black artist in comparison to Drake.
    Still doesn’t answer my question though…is he accepted as “white’ by “white“ people.

Princess El-Bey

Senior Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I see Drake as a Jewish Canadian. His moms is Jewish ..https://www.kveller.com/drakes-jewish-mom-and-a-rabbi-make-cameos-in-his-new-video/

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    The real question is why does he care? When you try so hard to be excepted…not going to happen!! Except yourself first! Being a mixed child you go through this, and if you are not carful this will turn into a reoccurring mental hang up (trying to fit the sleeve of being black enough). For one you don’t represent all of your people, you represent yourself first. Don’t let the clowns try and put you in a category. Be the best you, uphold the best values from whatever culture 2,3 what have you. Life is to short most forget this what’s it all about really peanuts to an elephant🐘.I can understand the frustration somewhat, but the real is… No one’s opinion should matter more than Drakes own. Drake should love the Blackness that he is to the end. Who is going to tell you how to mix your gumbo🤲🏽patriceonealsaluteblackwoman
    Yell Bobby Portis GIF by Milwaukee Bucks

Voltronblack

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Not to get off topic, but you know how they say "ALL NIGGAZ LOOK ALIKE"?
    Well, back in the day Caspers thought my Dad was James Brown & he actually danced just like him. 😁
    They'd walk up to him, "Heyyyy, you're James Brown, aren't you"?
    He answer by saying, " You tell me" & would starting dancing, twirling & doing the splits. They'd start throwing all kinds of money at him.
    I was embarrassed & angry. He'd say, "Don't be mad". "They take our money, take it back"! 🤔
    Damn that wild but alsosaluteblackwoman

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Again, I've never, ever read or seen anyone outside of this thread question whether Drake is 'black' as we define it in the community.
    The only debate about him is style, music, etc, the same arguments we have about a few 100% black rappers and singers.

Women liked Drake, dudes didn't and hated. That was it. Nothing to do with blackness.
    Bob Marley is half white. Mariah Carey is half white. DJ Khaled is not even black and the street mentally see him as black. A lot of singers, rappers are not 100% black. Our community has always had mixed folks.

Sorry, but some of y'all calling stuff (Drake not being black) that is NOT reflected in the black community. He is seen as black by the community. End of story.

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Drake can go sit down some damn where! When has he EVER spoken up and used his platform to help address Black American #Freedmen issues? Then, he had a child by a white woman, if he was so black identifying would he not want a child from a Black woman so his child could be as well? He actually chose to DILUTE his blackness.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Completely agree. He should do more. He's not down for the community that got him famous and paid but some saying he's not regarded as black is a whole other separate thing that is not how he is viewed by the community at large.

That said, I think as this movement grows, the rappers and entertainers are come under a lot of pressure to do more.

OTR

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    well maybe if that nigga wasnt a cornball. ton of light skin mfs i easily accept as black - j cole, kapernick. drake dont be doing shit at all. he need to get off that 🌽 shit
    He's corny and that's why it works. He is not perceived as a threat or risky so the machine will promote him till the end of times. He has surpassed Nas, Jay-Z and Eminem in terms of popularity and marketability.