The Thunderdome

Everything about your favorite sports and teams.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Ed Reed to coach at Bethune Cookman

ProMoatBlack

Sixer First Class+
Community Host
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

cjg

Senior Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

ProMoatBlack

Sixer First Class+
Community Host
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I was just about to post this. Props to Ed Reed for taking the job. This should be a good move for the school, Coach Reed, and the team.
I agree. Happy to see him take up the mantel. Hopefully a couple more hall of famers can take over some more programs. Have a hall of fame black coach college football League.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
I would like to see the Black community make a concerted effort to support the HBCUs. It's a marathon. We have to get back to how great we once were.

A large percentage of the NFL were HBCU grads from the '60s up into the early to mid 70s. The remarkable thing is the HBCUs at that at time we didn't play PWIs, we weren't in any of the Bowl games. We were essentially our own league.

From 1967, when Lanier was drafted, to 1972, my draft year (I wasn’t drafted), 365 players from HBCUs were drafted.

The three common drafts conducted between 1967-1969 resulted in a total of 156 draft picks from the selected HBCUs. In total, the 1960-70 period produced 31 percent of the total draft picks for the 80-year period. In following decades, draft picks from these HBCUs would gradually decrease, with 318 (31 percent) being recorded between 1970-80 and a historical low of 26 picks recorded between 2010 and 2019.

Integration killed the HBCUs. Had we kept our best football players, Grambling, Jackson State and a couple others would be dominating Division II and III championships to this day and beating PWIs in football regularly.

Even moreso in basketball. I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that if HBCUs kept the best b-ball players we'd have won a few national titles. Far fetched? We already had a predominantly black school, win in the '60s.

My dream future for HBCUs? Dominate men and women's basketball, track and volleyball. Men's football to be highly competitive. On the academic side get back to hiring the best black minds. Have a business school that is taught by blacks that have run companies or been in top positions on Wall Street. As well as business incubator programs. We should already be producing top people in the arts. That's a no brainer.

Stan Zero

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Makes me happy seeing all of these retired NFL stars go back to coach college ball. I can see Ed Reed being a great coach, as he seemed like someone who was very smart when it came to the game. And I can see him taking that to talent to coaching.

Congrats go out to him. Should be fun for those kids to play for him.