The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Growing food in Apartment

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Has anyone here been successful with growing plants for consumption in their apartments? I want to make attempts soon. Last year, I germinated seeds but I had issues managing. I actually grew from a germinated avocado pit, but I had to get rid of it as it was hanging over. I need to get serious about this. I have grow kits in storage, but I’d rather save my seeds and use those when they germinate. I learned from someone how to do it. I just need to get serious and learn from my mistakes last year.

Some things I want to grow for now are grapes, lemon, lime (questionable), bell peppers, romaine lettuce.

To continue, I learned how to regrow from lettuce. I would chop it and leave the lettuce base to place in natural spring water. Depending on its stability, I would add some wooden tooth picks to hold it up straight. When the lettuce sucked up the water, I would add fresh water like a day or two later. When I noticed a certain growth, I added it to a potted soil. Also, I used a grow light my grandmother bought me. The apartment I live in doesn’t receive direct sun light, so I have to depend on artificial lighting. 🤷🏾‍♀️ It’ll do until I move into a house.

Furthermore, my mother purchased a bunch of heirloom seeds months ago from Dollar Tree. I haven’t used any of them yet. Once I get established with my gardening, I will incorporate some of them. I just need to set up a space where I can manage them easily and they aren’t accessible to my family’s cat.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    When I first started I was trying to grow indoors. I was able to start green onions (from cuttings), a mango tree, moringa, peppers, tomatoes, lentils, various herbs and lemongrass.

1670480901842.png

It certainly is possible, but you have to maintain proper temps and a suitable atmosphere for them. I wasn't able to do that effectively, so I lost a lot of seedlings. I would also suggest learning how to treat your soil to prevent a fungus gnat infestation. Are you able to purchase a grow tent, or something similar?

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    When I first started I was trying to grow indoors. I was able to start green onions (from cuttings), a mango tree, moringa, peppers, tomatoes, lentils, various herbs and lemongrass.

View attachment 5647

It certainly is possible, but you have to maintain proper temps and a suitable atmosphere for them. I wasn't able to do that effectively, so I lost a lot of seedlings. I would also suggest learning how to treat your soil to prevent a fungus gnat infestation. Are you able to purchase a grow tent, or something similar?
    Thank you for your response JerriBun. Your plants look nice. I cannot fit a grow tent in my apartment. I don’t have the space. I will show you pictures of what I did last year. Also, how do I prevent a fungus gnat infection? I have never heard of that.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I cannot fit a grow tent in my apartment. I don’t have the space. I will show you pictures of what I did last year.
    Okay, no worries. Grow lights keep areas pretty warm. It will take a bit of work, but as long as you monitor the temperature, moisture and humidity for the plants you should have some success.

Also, how do I prevent a fungus gnat infection? I have never heard of that.
    There are a number of different ways. Some people use boiling hot water to "bake" the soil and kill fungus gnat eggs before they use the soil, some use neem oil, others bottom water and some use potato traps. There are a number of things you can do. Depends on what you have room for and what you are comfortable doing. A quick internet search will provide a lot of methods. I couldn't do any of the methods I found, so the fungus gnat larvae feasted on a lot of my stuff. All I could do was use sticky traps to catch the adults and I made sure not to over-water.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Unfortunately I don’t have the pictures of my plants and their growth. I shared them in a group chat that I left. I have some but not what I want. Here’s some plants that my grandmother gave me and I couldn’t manage those. I attempted some lettuce. I used indoor potting soil and peat moss for the plants I started, which aren’t shown. I used dental cups and poked small holes in the bottom. So basically I used the bottom watering method by filling the saucers. I filled the cups up enough and inserted the seeds in a shallow hole. Covered with dirty and let the plant light shine. I used green, yellow, red, and orange sprouted seeds. I germinated by damping a paper towel, spacing seeds out, and then folding, placing in sand which bag, letting them sit. I have that pretty much down. I did the same with lemon seeds and avocado pits. I actually removed the seeds from the fruit and veggies. I have some peppers in the fruit I am cooking tomorrow and will save the seeds and start the process.

7AAADA8B-AFC1-49B2-9304-E720E68AD81B.jpeg

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Okay, no worries. Grow lights keep areas pretty warm. It will take a bit of work, but as long as you monitor the temperature, moisture and humidity for the plants you should have some success.

There are a number of different ways. Some people use boiling hot water to "bake" the soil and kill fungus gnat eggs before they use the soil, some use neem oil, others bottom water and some use potato traps. There are a number of things you can do. Depends on what you have room for and what you are comfortable doing. A quick internet search will provide a lot of methods. I couldn't do any of the methods I found, so the fungus gnat larvae feasted on a lot of my stuff. All I could do was use sticky traps to catch the adults and I made sure not to over-water.
    Wow I have to look into that. I bottom watered to start the beginning stages of growth. Hopefully I don’t go through any issues.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Unfortunately I don’t have the pictures of my plants and their growth. I shared them in a group chat that I left. I have some but not what I want. Here’s some plants that my grandmother gave me and I couldn’t manage those. I attempted some lettuce. I used indoor potting soil and peat moss for the plants I started, which aren’t shown. I used dental cups and poked small holes in the bottom. So basically I used the bottom watering method by filling the saucers. I filled the cups up enough and inserted the seeds in a shallow hole. Covered with dirty and let the plant light shine. I used green, yellow, red, and orange sprouted seeds. I germinated by damping a paper towel, spacing seeds out, and then folding, placing in sand which bag, letting them sit. I have that pretty much down. I did the same with lemon seeds and avocado pits. I actually removed the seeds from the fruit and veggies. I have some peppers in the fruit I am cooking tomorrow and will save the seeds and start the process.
    Yes, this is exactly how I started and I kept expanding. I eventually set up a table in the corner of a room and that was the plant area. I'm able to plant outside now, but I learned a lot just diving in and starting indoors. Would also suggest to look for videos that talk about container gardening and small space gardening. A lot of things translate easily to indoor gardening.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don't live in an apartment, but I still garden indoors sometimes.
    If you don't want to wait for seeds to sprout, you can grow food from grocery scraps. Romaine lettuc & celery can be grown regrown indoors without a lot of space.
    If you have a terrace and some plastic 5 gallon buckets, you can easily grow tomatoes & okra. Sweet potatoes are also easy to grow from leftovers, but you'll want to put those in a big plastic tub because they usually yield a lot.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    ☺️💕🌱👑🌺💚. .... I am NOT good at grown indoors 😭 .... But over joyed with this post... This was me, trying to protect one of my babies from hurricane Nicole.

View attachment 5649
    Oh wow, thanks for sharing! I have never grown food outside. When I move into a house, I will have a garden. I definitely will have a greenhouse in my backyard.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don't live in an apartment, but I still garden indoors sometimes.
    If you don't want to wait for seeds to sprout, you can grow food from grocery scraps. Romaine lettuc & celery can be grown regrown indoors without a lot of space.
    If you have a terrace and some plastic 5 gallon buckets, you can easily grow tomatoes & okra. Sweet potatoes are also easy to grow from leftovers, but you'll want to put those in a big plastic tub because they usually yield a lot.

Yeah I’ve tried this with romain lettuce and a bunch of green onions from the market. This is green onions that grew just in the water. I cut most of it to eat and left the roots.

B746A9B9-63E3-4FAB-B956-53D7B90D87C0.jpeg

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

ladytlw67

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Everyone on this thread is a lot further along than I am. I am saving my money to get a survival seed vault. We all need to have a stockpile of seeds as well.

Banks

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have not really tried to grow anything in my home. I should start, especially with how inflation is going, and causing the price of food to raise up a ton as of late. I had a plant here and there, but nothing to where I was growing food, herbs, etc.

With the state of the world today, maybe it'd be a good idea to start growing food just in case.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Once I am verified I would enjoy sharing seed with anyone. I can 💌📬 for free.
    View attachment 5653
    Oh wow, thanks for sharing! I have never grown food outside. When I move into a house, I will have a garden. I definitely will have a greenhouse in my backyard.
    I would love to share seeds if anyone's interested. PO box to PO box and I can pay the postage by Media Mail I get the seeds from the local library seed bank they probably have it in everyone's community, sometimes they try to limit how many you can get though. I have hundreds just DM me .

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Once I am verified I would enjoy sharing seed with anyone. I can 💌📬 for free.
    View attachment 5653

I would love to share seeds if anyone's interested. PO box to PO box and I can pay the postage by Media Mail I get the seeds from the local library seed bank they probably have it in everyone's community, sometimes they try to limit how many you can get though. I have hundreds just DM me .
    That’s so nice of you to do thank you. Unfortunately I don’t have a PO Box. I have to get one and should have a year ago. Also, what seeds you you have? I have seeds, but they are more equipped for outdoors. I am saving right now. The heirloom seeds were purchased from Dollar tree.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That’s so nice of you to do thank you. Unfortunately I don’t have a PO Box. I have to get one and should have a year ago. Also, what seeds you you have? I have seeds, but they are more equipped for outdoors. I am saving right now. The heirloom seeds were purchased from Dollar tree.
    I have right now turnips with purple top, I have cauliflower I have carrots ....Zone 8/tropical climate so easy growers
    I have okra, chives, spinach, climbing butter beans and jua mya sunflowers ... They all have labels on the envelope and tell you when is the best time to start working with them most recommend starting indoor in like a little closet then taking them outdoor after 6 weeks. But lately a lot of foods you buy in your local grocery store can take root very quickly. For a easy science project I love to do with the kids over school holidays try the beef steak tomatoes and some good potting soil (all over YouTube). If you're in a very cold weather climate just keep it indoors with the family, by springtime you should have some beefsteak tomatoes. Everyone's in Florida are growing the avocado pits, although it takes a LONG time to produce an avocado the plant springs up very easily and builds Green thumb confidence. Look very nice around the house and in the yard.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was actually born in Boston, Dorchester to be exact, also have family off of Only Street and I remember we would walk up and down and eat something called "crab apples"?... And a few other free grown berries. A lot of people call the north a concrete jungle but I called it the concrete garden, eating all the way to our stoop. Those were the days 1988? when we'd drink out the water hose and eat berries all day never had to go inside the apartment. 😏😅

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have right now turnips with purple top, I have cauliflower I have carrots ....Zone 8/tropical climate so easy growers
    I have okra, chives, spinach, climbing butter beans and jua mya sunflowers ... They all have labels on the envelope and tell you when is the best time to start working with them most recommend starting indoor in like a little closet then taking them outdoor after 6 weeks. But lately a lot of foods you buy in your local grocery store can take root very quickly. For a easy science project I love to do with the kids over school holidays try the beef steak tomatoes and some good potting soil (all over YouTube). If you're in a very cold weather climate just keep it indoors with the family, by springtime you should have some beefsteak tomatoes. Everyone's in Florida are growing the avocado pits, although it takes a LONG time to produce an avocado the plant springs up very easily and builds Green thumb confidence. Look very nice around the house and in the yard.
    How cool and fun. I have some grow kits that I need to use. I use to eat beefsteak tomatoes and have never thought of growing from them. I attempted to collect seeds from plum tomatoes, which is very difficult. I want to try again because if something happens I want to have that growing. Those are pretty much the only tomatoes I eat and cherry. I have a cherry tomato grow kit. Youtube has tons of videos and I usually go there to gain info. I was reading from sources for growing at home. I mentioned in the thread that I grew from kitchen scraps. I wish I was into growing food when I was a teenager. Also, I actually grew from an avocado pit. I thought I had pictures in my photos. It grew tall and formed some small leaves. I want to start over again this month. I had to cut it down because I didn't move it into a wider pot. I think I will be successful next time because I learned from my mistakes.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    In the community center called SWAG we are trying to get the children involved in a community garden called edible landscaping.
    That's wonderful for the kids and community. I think we should all have community gardens. It would be awesome to eat locally grown produce.

ArYkathaGOAT

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    How cool and fun. I have some grow kits that I need to use. I use to eat beefsteak tomatoes and have never thought of growing from them. I attempted to collect seeds from plum tomatoes, which is very difficult. I want to try again because if something happens I want to have that growing. Those are pretty much the only tomatoes I eat and cherry. I have a cherry tomato grow kit. Youtube has tons of videos and I usually go there to gain info. I was reading from sources for growing at home. I mentioned in the thread that I grew from kitchen scraps. I wish I was into growing food when I was a teenager. Also, I actually grew from an avocado pit. I thought I had pictures in my photos. It grew tall and formed some small leaves. I want to start over again this month. I had to cut it down because I didn't move it into a wider pot. I think I will be successful next time because I learned from my mistakes.
    You just let them keep their meat around it you slice it like you're going to put it on a sandwich and lay it in the pot... And if it gets big enough to need to be outside you can use a dollar store like trash can the 13 Oz to protect it from cold weather you can use a warm knife to put a few slits the see-through storage bins are better tho. It was trending on YouTube years ago so there are a lot of videos once you get started it's a bit addicting.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was actually born in Boston, Dorchester to be exact, also have family off of Only Street and I remember we would walk up and down and eat something called "crab apples"?... And a few other free grown berries. A lot of people call the north a concrete jungle but I called it the concrete garden, eating all the way to our stoop. Those were the days 1988? when we'd drink out the water hose and eat berries all day never had to go inside the apartment. 😏😅
    You know when you live in certain areas you can find edible plants growing. I follow an elderly brotha from NOLA and he would always be telling us about picking wild bananas from a tree. My uncle recently said that there is a garden in Baltimore where edible fruit grows. I would love to come across such in the county. I won't eat anything though because it could be poisonous. I do want to learn about foraging.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thank you Rollie. I need to grow pineapple soon and get back to watching his videos regularly. My household barely eat pineapple, but I’m looking forward to doing this project. I admit that pineapple juice is the bomb. I want to buy a juicer soon. I’d actually rather grow a pineapple than an avocado because the avocado takes like over two decades to yield.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Grow lights make a world of difference. I got two clementine trees growing. One is just over a foot tall at this point. I haven't even put that one outside yet. I am debating on getting a full set up to grow indoors year-round. If I can manage it, might get a solar panel or two to cover the cost of the lighting for the plants as well.

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Grow lights make a world of difference. I got two clementine trees growing. One is just over a foot tall at this point. I haven't even put that one outside yet. I am debating on getting a full set up to grow indoors year-round. If I can manage it, might get a solar panel or two to cover the cost of the lighting for the plants as well.
    That’s cool. I would grow a fruit tree if I had a house. When I do move into one, I want some fruit trees. Cherry, apple, lemon would be my top three. Managing plants is the hardest part and messed me up. I want to start regrowing this week. I’m going to be more organized this time though. Also, plant lights are very helpful because my apartment does not get any sunlight. Where I used to reside, the patio would get direct sunlight, especially in the warm months. But once my family moved to our new apartment, I noticed a big change. So I did have to utilize a grow light. The only thing is they have a limited time of usuage. I think I can use mine for at least three more months, hopefully. I haven’t been using at all but I’ll buy a new one next month. My grandmother bought me a huge bulb that I used most often. I remember looking for the plant light with multiple bulbs. I was scared to buy one because I don’t want to waste my money on a product that will malfunction.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    That’s cool. I would grow a fruit tree if I had a house. When I do move into one, I want some fruit trees. Cherry, apple, lemon would be my top three. Managing plants is the hardest part and messed me up. I want to start regrowing this week. I’m going to be more organized this time though. Also, plant lights are very helpful because my apartment does not get any sunlight. Where I used to reside, the patio would get direct sunlight, especially in the warm months. But once my family moved to our new apartment, I noticed a big change. So I did have to utilize a grow light. The only thing is they have a limited time of usuage. I think I can use mine for at least three more months, hopefully. I haven’t been using at all but I’ll buy a new one next month. My grandmother bought me a huge bulb that I used most often. I remember looking for the plant light with multiple bulbs. I was scared to buy one because I don’t want to waste my money on a product that will malfunction.
    I don't own yet either, still renting. Start now. Trees grow very slow. You can also do miniatures or go with fruit trees that stay small unless you give them more room. These clementine trees will stay small (likely reaching a max of 5 or 6 feet) and produce fruit in 4 or so years.

Something that I said should be standard in all homes and apartments are grow lights. Like have a small area with shelving built in with lights above them. It would encourage more people to grow their own food. And you don't need to worry about pests. Like if I ever own an apartment building, I am putting a small set up like this in every kitchen. The LEDs used these days don't use up too much electricity either.

Coach Bettis

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Has anyone here been successful with growing plants for consumption in their apartments? I want to make attempts soon. Last year, I germinated seeds but I had issues managing. I actually grew from a germinated avocado pit, but I had to get rid of it as it was hanging over. I need to get serious about this. I have grow kits in storage, but I’d rather save my seeds and use those when they germinate. I learned from someone how to do it. I just need to get serious and learn from my mistakes last year.

Some things I want to grow for now are grapes, lemon, lime (questionable), bell peppers, romaine lettuce.

To continue, I learned how to regrow from lettuce. I would chop it and leave the lettuce base to place in natural spring water. Depending on its stability, I would add some wooden tooth picks to hold it up straight. When the lettuce sucked up the water, I would add fresh water like a day or two later. When I noticed a certain growth, I added it to a potted soil. Also, I used a grow light my grandmother bought me. The apartment I live in doesn’t receive direct sun light, so I have to depend on artificial lighting. 🤷🏾‍♀️ It’ll do until I move into a house.

Furthermore, my mother purchased a bunch of heirloom seeds months ago from Dollar Tree. I haven’t used any of them yet. Once I get established with my gardening, I will incorporate some of them. I just need to set up a space where I can manage them easily and they aren’t accessible to my family’s cat.
    Micro greens and Kale are great strong greens in-house, window, or patio! great for beginners anything that needs pollination have to done manually with a Qtip imitating what bees do