The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Hidden History Museum Or Nightclub

Hell Johnson

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm not surprised that this ended up being a bait n switch, (or at least appears to be on its face) but I am surprised he would mess up his reputation like this. I'm not ready to say we definitely got hustled (I donated 50 bucks during the first wave of donations), but I will say the optics alone look pretty janky. This is definitely the last Tariq funded project I'm throwing in on. I've passed on the last coupla movies, and I barely even check in on his broadcasts anymore. I won't call the man a grifter (YET), but his paperwork does need to be reexamined.
    What happened to the wall of names for everyone who donated? People were promised a place in history with his pitch & we got nothing. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus but I'm not ready to donate to a new project either. He's hinting at a Hip-Hop history doc being produced this year. I'm sitting this out because I've invested too much money in another man's dream to not get a return on that investment.

Bmick#8
    Bmick#8
    Ain't heard a peep about that perk since the building was "purchased"

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I remember right after that million got raised, mans was riding around in a drop top wit Silly D, and I was thinking, "even if this is legit, this ain't a good look." I just think he would be more sensitive about optics after raising so much money
    Why should he care his fans make excuses for him.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The only way to add on to the existing structure is to build vertically but is the building strong enough to support such a thing. I don't think so. It's part of his real-estate portfolio and there's no telling what he's going to do with it. He'll hold it for as long as people are playing to show up then after that he'll most likely sell it.
    He’ll have people coming for 6 months but after that it’ll slow down and he’ll sell so that he doesn’t take a loss.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    This is likely going to be depicted as 'making excuses' for Tariq but I'll say it anyway, because it doesn't matter. lol

It can be argued, Tariq sometimes starts a project based more on emotion than considerate planning. Most museums has a committee that plans it all out in phases and these phases can be weeks and months. There are a few things I see he jumps in without the requisite due diligence perhaps. It's emotion out of love for his people. Hey, we need a museum! I'll start one, I know a spot in the Crenshaw district that would be perfect. Callers call in, ideas are bandied about, a crowd funding soon follows.

There are a whole lot of things he wants to see done. A whole of things we all want to see done. We want it now rather than later. If its rushed, you realize the size and scope and unforeseen things you didn't consider or didn't take the time to consider. That may be what he's really guilty of. And to some it may be seen as scamming the people. Just one perspective or possibility.

The community of B1 people have a building, a viable ongoing concern. These things are unprecedented. It won't be up to standards for some and that's okay, we all have our own individual standards, etc.

Lastly, the one thing I want for the major influencers in B1 is to be as independently wealthy (not rich, wealth is better) as possible. I want Tariq, Jay, TBA, PBT, Dr. Umar, Dr. Anderson....all the way down the line to be at a bare minimum multi-millionaires. The less they have to rely on the larger society and less to even rely on the grassroots, the better. I mean rely on financially. If they are off code, their projects won't be accepted by the grassroots. Koch, Robert Mercer, etc, don't go to the grassroots for funding, they have the money. If their projects aren't addressing white supremacy, they are no longer listened to or relevant.

If the aforementioned had Oprah's or Byron Allen's money, imagine what they could do for Black folks? White supremacy has a lot of exceedingly wealthy people who have billions. They use a lot of that money to keep white supremacy going. I am hoping Tariq gets filthy rich off his movies and projects. If he's not saying the right things or doing the right things the people will stop supporting him. That's in all movements good or bad. It's a shared commonality.

The museum, whether you agree with the events is still being a black space that emphasizes the grassroots, blacks relying on blacks, black spaces to get together uncompromisingly. You can openly call out white supremacy there and not have to worry about upsetting white folks. The museum we have at the Smithsonian is on government property. At the end of the day, they can change the rules. Tyler Perry, Jay Z, Byron Allen, can't say what Tariq says if they wanted to.

The Haze Of Our Lives

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA