The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

How do you handle not having the same taste?

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
Community Host
Tither
App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've been married for a long time and over the years you learn more and more about your wife/husband and sometimes you'll clash on certain things like décor. I have a modern/mid century taste. Mostly because of the era I grew up in and because I think it looks good. My wife on the other hand has a more Craftsman's/colonial taste. I don't mind some of it but a lot of it is ugly to me and I can't stand it.
    We pretty much clash on everything when it comes to furnishing a room, I buy new furniture every 5-7 years and it's a headache trying to find something we both agree on. Like I love leather couches, had them when I was single, but she hates leather furniture...
    Am I the only one with this issue?

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've been married for a long time and over the years you learn more and more about your wife/husband and sometimes you'll clash on certain things like décor. I have a modern/mid century taste. Mostly because of the era I grew up in and because I think it looks good. My wife on the other hand has a more Craftsman's/colonial taste. I don't mind some of it but a lot of it is ugly to me and I can't stand it.
    We pretty much clash on everything when it comes to furnishing a room, I buy new furniture every 5-7 years and it's a headache trying to find something we both agree on. Like I love leather couches, had them when I was single, but she hates leather furniture...
    I think in this case its best to just surrender some rooms altogether. If the kitchen is going to look like walking into Massah's pantry then just surrender the kitchen and then stake your claim in another room.

mjlol

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think in this case its best to just surrender some rooms altogether. If the kitchen is going to look like walking into Massah's pantry then just surrender the kitchen and then stake your claim in another room.

mjlol
    I kinda already do that, my office and music room is off limit's to any suggestion. but common areas are struggle for me, living room breakfast room den ect...

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I kinda already do that, my office and music room is off limit's to any suggestion. but common areas are struggle for me, living room breakfast room den ect...
    You just gotta suck it up when you walk by the ugly ass dark brown armoire with the glass doors in the dining room with the china set oh it that yall never use. In 15 years she is going to put life-like dolls in it just letting you know.

The Office Lol GIF

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    What I have done when co-habitating is go room by room and discuss how we will late it out, which furniture will be where, and if we're going to bring something from the past or by something new. It makes it easy to give and take and have an input in each room so that it doesn't get out of hand.

I'll surrender a bathroom or dining but never the kitchen or living room.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What I have done when co-habitating is go room by room and discuss how we will late it out, which furniture will be where, and if we're going to bring something from the past or by something new. It makes it easy to give and take and have an input in each room so that it doesn't get out of hand.

I'll surrender a bathroom or dining but never the kitchen or living room.
    Slick. My girl and I are moving in with each other this year and I think I’m going to apply this methodology. She has a bunch of stuff she wants to bring and I don’t want our spot turning into her spot 2.0.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have a particular taste and in most cases, it doesn't clash with a man's so I never really had an issue here. I am more concerned about color matching. For me, if things don't match it is an eyesore. I like the idea of just allowing each person to have their own rooms. Make a compromise if you can't agree. Have a room or two that blends both styles together.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    My husband & I've been together a long, long time. When we first met, we asked questions. Likes, dislikes, pros, cons, do's, don't, tolerable & intolerable.
    After ALL our cards were on the table, we discovered we have lots in common. Then, my then possible love connection asked me a question nobody ever asked. "Do you wanna date or be exclusive"? I'm 8 years older than he, so my answer was, "We're not teenagers anymore, the latter". Been together ever since.
    We don’t disagree on furniture, food, TV or anything like that.
    When we do, we can agree to disagree & keep it moving. Fact is, we both have valid points, so there's no right or wrong, just different opinions.

Goodness

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Will Not Disclose
    Origin
    Refuse to Disclose
    I and my spouse have different tatstes
    He likes his food cold, I can't eat any food if its not hot

I love to sleep naked, he likes to wear his pajamas.
    I love my Ac on, he cant stand the cold from the AC

But we have managed this for 12 years and still counting.
    It all boils down to UNDERSTANDING

Ravenfreak

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Honestly my wife and I are both nerds and have almost the exact taste when it comes to pop culture. We don't have much in the way of decorations, just mainly nerd things. xD I'm a huge Sonic nerd and she loves Kingdom Hearts, so we have wall scrolls, and posters. Our taste in music is slightly different however, we usually just listen to music in headphones so we don't bother the other person.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Depending on what room we are talking, I can have some pretty frilly and girly taste which no man (unless he was gay) would appreciate! I have learned to tone it down a bit when I share space with a man but it is not easy, not at first. I guess if I was in it for the long haul, I would make my own space and probably call it "the pink room". Decorate it how I want and keep all my stuff that would otherwise look out of place in there. I can compromise if I know the relationship has a future.

Maxwell

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    My thoughts is that the woman owns the home. You can be the man all you want but she gets to decide how she wants her home to look like. They do all the taking care of home thing, so they get to decide how they want it to look like. My father never argues with mother on this one. What he did was get his own space and put it exactly how he wants it and it was his work office at home. My mother never get anywhere near that part of the house 😂.

Danny

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Woman gets a bigger say in how they like their home to look. Trying to drag that out with them would only make it more difficult for you because in the end of everything, you will end letting her have her. Just get your own personal space that's going to your sanctuary.

MR-D-ROB

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Me and my wife have different tastes in literally everything. Cars, food, music, movies, television, sex positions. I mean the list just goes on.

The way we have gotten around that is we both try new stuff.

We negotiate and compromise. Like we take turns picking cars.

Like when we got our house we compromised that I'd get certain things that I wanted and she would get certain things.

The most important thing to me was location. She cared more about looks and aesthetics. So in the end we found something we were all happy with.

As far as sex well, happy wife happy life. I just go with what she likes. If she is happy and satisfied then so am I!

Harbinger

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Me and my wife have different tastes in literally everything. Cars, food, music, movies, television, sex positions. I mean the list just goes on.

The way we have gotten around that is we both try new stuff.

We negotiate and compromise. Like we take turns picking cars.

Like when we got our house we compromised that I'd get certain things that I wanted and she would get certain things.

The most important thing to me was location. She cared more about looks and aesthetics. So in the end we found something we were all happy with.

As far as sex well, happy wife happy life. I just go with what she likes. If she is happy and satisfied then so am I!
    Do you ever assert yourself? If you‘re not asserting yourself during sex and getting what you need I’m sure that’s manifesting in everything else.