The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

How do you think people should present themselves in public?

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
In terms of clothing, how do you think both men and women should dress when in public?

I always felt like you could have different options according to where you are or what you are doing but you never want to dress in a way that you would feel uncomfortable walking into a church (or making others uncomfortable). Does that make sense? Some people will say you should dress for success 24/7. I don't think you need to walk around in a suit all the time as a man or in a conservative dress as a woman, but you should be tasteful in public.

Thoughts on this?

Nesut

zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
In terms of clothing, how do you think both men and women should dress when in public?

I always felt like you could have different options according to where you are or what you are doing but you never want to dress in a way that you would feel uncomfortable walking into a church (or making others uncomfortable). Does that make sense? Some people will say you should dress for success 24/7. I don't think you need to walk around in a suit all the time as a man or in a conservative dress as a woman, but you should be tasteful in public.

Thoughts on this?

I feel that there is a defacto American sensibility and you need to dress within those standard sensibilities to avoid disturbing the social fabric. For instance, you don’t wear suits to the beach and typically don’t wear tall clear high heel pumps to anywhere other than in a strip club.

There’s a lot of latitude in this so it gives people the ability to express themselves while maintaining order.

Finesse

Sixer
zBucks
I work online majority of the time these days, so I can dress however I want. When I go out, I just wear a plain graphic tee, some jeans, socks, and a hat and I'm good to go. I don't need to dress up fancy unless I'm going to a wedding or something.

As for others, as long as you're not naked or near naked, I'm good. I just don't like when you see those horror stories of weird people at Wal-mart with clothes that don't cover enough.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Thoughts on this?
    I kind of align with @Nesut on this one…you need to dress appropriate for the occasion and culture plays a part in what is and is not appropriate. Obviously we can shift the culture but we don‘t always have to. Just because thots want to thot in public doesn’t mean we need to bend to their will. I feel like there are times where encroaching on people’s rights is beneficial for us all because stopping you from twerking may limit your freedoms but it protects kids and other people who shouldn’t be subject to such crudeness.

Jball

Registered
    zBucks
    IDC

You control your presentation
    You don’t control other’s perception
    Well said man! The clothes we wear and the way we groom and carry ourselves is our personal consent. Also it’s psychologically beneficial how we feel about our personalities inside out because it for sure increases our confidence and ability to build self credibility.

DaBeast

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I dress up pretty decent when I go out. Especially at night to the bar or out with friends. I dress professional during my work hours and I dress down a bit when home. I just wear a plain tshirt, usually white or black, and a pair of shorts. If I'm going to the store or on errands and all that fun stuff, I tend to wear what I do when I am chilling at home.

I feel I dress up good enough.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    They should dress however they want, as long as they realize how the way they present themselves can have a positive or negative effect on their interactions with people and even their lives.

Dressing well can literally change your life
    Yes. I hate this reality but going to the bank on with a suit vs gym clothes is night and day.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yes. I hate this reality but going to the bank on with a suit vs gym clothes is night and day.

I won’t even go into a new branch of my bank without being dressed proper. It seems there’s always some crap going on, they need a new signature card, I didn’t sign some paper…always some garbage. I need to go to the bank today, a different branch than the one I usually go and I gotta put on a good outfit or else they gon’ be looking at me like I’m up to some shit.

I remember one time one of my white friends wrote me a check and you know they wouldnt deposit that shit until they got him on the phone directly to confirm he wrote it. He said he’s never had that happen beforE.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I won’t even go into a new branch of my bank without being dressed proper. It seems there’s always some crap going on, they need a new signature card, I didn’t sign some paper…always some garbage. I need to go to the bank today, a different branch than the one I usually go and I gotta put on a good outfit or else they gon’ be looking at me like I’m up to some shit.

I remember one time one of my white friends wrote me a check and you know they wouldnt deposit that shit until they got him on the phone directly to confirm he wrote it. He said he’s never had that happen beforE.

Sounds like you banked at racist ass BOA.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I think people should present themselves decently in public. The reason is how a person carries himself or herself is very important. A person does not have to be dressed up, but a person should not appear raggedy.
    Great way to put it. I think you can look well put together without having to have a darn suit on. I’ve seen jeans and Jordan’s look really clean and mature because the clothes were clean and fitted.

E

educatedman23

Great way to put it. I think you can look well put together without having to have a darn suit on. I’ve seen jeans and Jordan’s look really clean and mature because the clothes were clean and fitted.
    Yep. A suit is not convenient nor comfortable for every day wear for many people. I agree with you about regular clothes as long as they do not look raggedy.