The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

I want More Black American Movies!!!!

DaBeast

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Same here, and it looks like that's what's happening. More studios are giving black directors more freedom to do movies their way and hire who they want on the project. No more of these movies directed by white people who try to tell our stories. We should be directing those stories.

Expect to see more movies made by black creators going forward.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
Music and Movies are the easiest industries for us to do ourselves. The problem is the blacks in that industry who can make it happen: 1. Need white validation. 2. Don't want to work together 3. Egos are too big which is part of numbers 1 and 2.

Tyler Perry (before going to Hollywood), Tariq and Jason Black all made successful movies that made millions just within the black community.

Nigeria has the 4th largest movie industry in the world, nicknamed Nollywood, all black produced and cast.

Just to give you an example of white validation, Danny Glover has literally been begging Hollywood for over 20 years to make a movie about the Haitian Revolution. Tariq does it on a shoestring compared to what Hollywood was capable of and it was a huge success and number one on Amazon for dvds even though they shadow banned their own product.

Kanye making that famous appearance on The Breakfast Club having a tantrum about Nike not working with him and refusing to do it himself speaks for itself.

But I digress. The last thing we should be doing is complaining to Hollywood. Doing that tells them that we need them for our self esteem and validation. Do it yourself and it takes off makes them shook. Just like how we were making our own movies early 70s, Hollywood got shook and starting making 'Blaxploitation' movies.

ART

Royal Sixer
Community Host
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I want more movies from with Black American actors directed by Black American Directors written by Black American writers and produced by Black American companies.
In before somebody recommends Tyler Perry and his mostly mediocre films and TV shows. 😒

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Well we know what we have to do. We have to make them ourselves because Hollywood is done with us.
You're right, Hollywood has turned into Bollywood, mostly Nigerian movies. Some of them are good, but I want to see more Black American produced movies. The current two that I've seen are Irv Gotti, TALES & Tasha Smith, BMF. Below are some of the others.
20 Black movie directors who changed Hollywood in the last century - CNBC 20 Black filmmakers who have changed Hollywood in the last century

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Music and Movies are the easiest industries for us to do ourselves. The problem is the blacks in that industry who can make it happen: 1. Need white validation. 2. Don't want to work together 3. Egos are too big which is part of numbers 1 and 2.

Tyler Perry (before going to Hollywood), Tariq and Jason Black all made successful movies that made millions just within the black community.

Nigeria has the 4th largest movie industry in the world, nicknamed Nollywood, all black produced and cast.

Just to give you an example of white validation, Danny Glover has literally been begging Hollywood for over 20 years to make a movie about the Haitian Revolution. Tariq does it on a shoestring compared to what Hollywood was capable of and it was a huge success and number one on Amazon for dvds even though they shadow banned their own product.

Kanye making that famous appearance on The Breakfast Club having a tantrum about Nike not working with him and refusing to do it himself speaks for itself.

But I digress. The last thing we should be doing is complaining to Hollywood. Doing that tells them that we need them for our self esteem and validation. Do it yourself and it takes off makes them shook. Just like how we were making our own movies early 70s, Hollywood got shook and starting making 'Blaxploitation' movies.
    It’s a mindstate shift.
    You're right, Hollywood has turned into Bollywood, mostly Nigerian movies. Some of them are good, but I want to see more Black American produced movies. The current two that I've seen are Irv Gotti, TALES & Tasha Smith, BMF. Below are some of the others.
    20 Black movie directors who changed Hollywood in the last century - CNBC 20 Black filmmakers who have changed Hollywood in the last century
    The problem that I feel a lot of Black Americans aren’t accepting is that Hollywood is White people’s industry. A lot of popular Black movies are really White movies with Black American casts. All that is changing is that the White people are bringing in other types of Black people to give the appearance of Black representation while they slowly choke Black Americans to death.

Some Black people just want it to go back to the good ol’ days when we were the “minority of choice” for the White man. Those days are gone, they have replaced us with Hispanics, Asians, and Blacks from the Caribbean and Africa. If we don’t develop a mentality of self-sufficiency we are done.

Iris the Queen of Nails

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It’s a mindstate shift.

The problem that I feel a lot of Black Americans aren’t accepting is that Hollywood is White people’s industry. A lot of popular Black movies are really White movies with Black American casts. All that is changing is that the White people are bringing in other types of Black people to give the appearance of Black representation while they slowly choke Black Americans to death.

Some Black people just want it to go back to the good ol’ days when we were the “minority of choice” for the White man. Those days are gone, they have replaced us with Hispanics, Asians, and Blacks from the Caribbean and Africa. If we don’t develop a mentality of self-sufficiency we are done.
    Facts, Jay!!!! Most of Hollywood movies are just stories in black-face whose profit goes to non-black people and companies. I don’t even care about the budget anymore. I care about the artist and their creations.

On that note, I need to figure out how to watch Corsicana (the movie directed and produced by Isaiah Washington)

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    It’s a mindstate shift.

What I don't understand is why haven't Black producers linked up & purchase THEIR OWN MOVIE STUDIO, COLLECTIVELY OR INDEPENDENT? It'll still be BLACK OWNED & BLACK OPERATED, instead of allowing whites to run the studio & you!

D

Deleted member 1946

What I don't understand is why haven't Black producers linked up & purchase THEIR OWN MOVIE STUDIO, COLLECTIVELY OR INDEPENDENT? It'll still be BLACK OWNED & BLACK OPERATED, instead of allowing whites to run the studio & you!
    Agree. We don't understand power. And we cannot accept money from these outsiders nor from any sellout Blacks either because they will be sent in to oversee what we are doing. No thanks. We need something that we control from start to finish with good, creative Black folks who want to tell our story with no fear.

D

Deleted member 1946

Facts, Jay!!!! Most of Hollywood movies are just stories in black-face whose profit goes to non-black people and companies. I don’t even care about the budget anymore. I care about the artist and their creations.

On that note, I need to figure out how to watch Corsicana (the movie directed and produced by Isaiah Washington)

Yep. They gatekeep their movies as well. If you don't want to do what they want, then you get no money.

D

Deleted member 1946

It’s a mindstate shift.

Yep. And we must protect the money source(s) for our movies as well as the best creatives (writers, editors, directors, cinematographers, etc). Self-sufficiency or bust.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Agree. We don't understand power. And we cannot accept money from these outsiders nor from any sellout Blacks either because they will be sent in to oversee what we are doing. No thanks. We need something that we control from start to finish with good, creative Black folks who want to tell our story with no fear.
    I remember when I was growing up, ALL the BOBO businesses had one sign on their buildings that stood out. NO GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE! That meant the world to me then & still holds true today. We've ALWAYS been self sufficient & we need to get back to IT TAKES A VILLAGE, OUR VILLAGE!
    We need to keep all we have, land property, businesses, etc & expand together.
    Whether we agree or not, WE'RE ALL WE'VE GOT & WE ARE FAMILY, whether we want to be or not! Put foolish pride aside & let's get to work, WE'RE OUT OF TIME!