The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

I'm prepping for a spring garden

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
So I decided I may as well start now so I can be prepped and ready for spring. Looking into buying seed and supplies. Have a mini garden going so I can have a nice harvest throughout the summer. For anyone with experience with gardening, what supplies/tools are good to get now prior to starting the process. Seeds are obvious, starter pots, soil, etc. but what else is good to have ready? Any tips from people with experience? I just want a quick list to go down and buy as I can so I have everything good to go.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Something you need to prepare for us fertilizer cause we are going to hit a hell of a shortage cutting Russia out the mix.

Start making a compost pile now. You can use one of those 18 gal totes from Walmart. They are like $7. Put some rocks in the bottom, then a layer of sticks/twigs, then some paper, then some native soil, then add in some kitchen scraps like fruit feels, old produce, eggshells, etc.

Top this off with some good bagged potting soil and the process with happen. You can plant in it right away or you can wait. Where people go wrong with growing their own food is being able to feed the plants properly. Do this via compost and you will save time, money, and have amazing yields.

Jay_Judah202

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    So I decided I may as well start now so I can be prepped and ready for spring. Looking into buying seed and supplies. Have a mini garden going so I can have a nice harvest throughout the summer. For anyone with experience with gardening, what supplies/tools are good to get now prior to starting the process. Seeds are obvious, starter pots, soil, etc. but what else is good to have ready? Any tips from people with experience? I just want a quick list to go down and buy as I can so I have everything good to go.
    You should probably get something to trap rain water because tap water can kill your plants.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Miracle Grow & distilled water is also what I've been using, but this time, I'm gonna try Spring Water & Alkaline water, just to see if there's any difference in growth & taste.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I got my totes ready. Was going to move everything this weekend but we are getting one more hit of snow so I guess I will just wait until Easter weekend. I have a decent amount of things sprouting up. Excited to see what I can grow.
    Same, we've got thunderstorms hitting GA right now. But as soon as Spring is officially here, I'm ALL in, just gotta go out back, out front & get to work. I've got ALL I need. Gotta have my produce & floral businesses top notch by summer.

Dollene

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    The first thing you do is test your soil. See what you have to work with. Find out what grow zone your in. I always start planting around Good Friday ( full of new moon).

Dollene

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    One other thing. Be careful where you plant things. For example, onions don’t grow well next to beans or peas, but are fine next to tomatoes. Herbs grow well with fruit trees. Be careful with walnut trees because they are very poisonous to some plants. Figure out what you want to grow and place them in your garden where they’ll be happiest. Ex. Peas like full Sun but tomatoes appreciate a little shade. I grew up on a farm and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Tati 304

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    One other thing. Be careful where you plant things. For example, onions don’t grow well next to beans or peas, but are fine next to tomatoes. Herbs grow well with fruit trees. Be careful with walnut trees because they are very poisonous to some plants. Figure out what you want to grow and place them in your garden where they’ll be happiest. Ex. Peas like full Sun but tomatoes appreciate a little shade. I grew up on a farm and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
    Taking notes thanks sis

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Same, we've got thunderstorms hitting GA right now. But as soon as Spring is officially here, I'm ALL in, just gotta go out back, out front & get to work. I've got ALL I need. Gotta have my produce & floral businesses top notch by summer.
    What kind of flowers do you grow? I am trying to grow some lavender but the seeds don't seem to be sprouting! I am wondering if you work with that and have any tips?

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    What kind of flowers do you grow? I am trying to grow some lavender but the seeds don't seem to be sprouting! I am wondering if you work with that and have any tips?
    Lavender, Lilly, Rose, Thistle, Gardenia, etc. Basically, everything fragrant.

Dollene

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    You can grow from seed but it’s much easier to do it from sprigs. Lavender thrives on neglect and loves Sandy soil. It hates wet feet. DO NOT OVER WATER!
    Adding Cherry Blossoms as well.
    Weird enough my dad just planted some cherry blossoms as a gift to my mother. I love the Lillys too because they attract hummingbirds, which I adore.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    You can grow from seed but it’s much easier to do it from sprigs. Lavender thrives on neglect and loves Sandy soil. It hates wet feet. DO NOT OVER WATER!
    There is my issue then. I think I have been giving them too much water. Lesson learned. Should I redo new seeds or let them be? Not sure what to do at this point.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    There is my issue then. I think I have been giving them too much water. Lesson learned. Should I redo new seeds or let them be? Not sure what to do at this point.
    I'd allow them to dry out a bit. If you see no change in 3-5 days, do over. Good luck, green thumb. 👍🏽

Dollene

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Personally I’d just buy the plants. The Bonnie brand sells organic lavender. Dave yourself the headache. Growing lavender from seed is such a slow process. However if your dead set on it try putting the seeds in the fridge for a month or so. Once they’ve gone through your wintering process place the seeds in a moist paper towel. Place the paper towel in a zip lock bag. Next put the paper towel in a dry spot (sunlight not required). Once you see some roots growing gently place them in some well draining soil inside where there’s good sunlight. Only water when it’s completely dry. Treat it like a cactus

Dollene

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I’d start over. Don’t add anything to the soil. Remember this plant thrives on neglect.

Victorystatus

Smell my cologne...
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I've performed indoor (on a smaller scale) and outdoor, I'll tell you that making sure you have proper irrigation, sunlight, and can fend off wildlife are key in a successful harvest. If you're growing outside you should water at night or very early in the morning, buying soil that helps growth is always a plus and also finding a black farmer near you can help you with pointers, a cheat code for me was putting a small garden near a gutter drain. Growing inside is mainly for winter (based on where you are) and it can be very cost efficient if you shop carefully. Hope this was helpful

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I’d start over. Don’t add anything to the soil. Remember this plant thrives on neglect.
    Thanks, I am going to do this. I will take the soil out and just let it dry out and then replant. I never knew this, glad I mentioned it hear. Learn something new every day!