The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Is Fufu actually good?

Yuskii

Sixer
Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've honestly never tried African foods before, and don't really have any foreign restaurants or anything near me, so I've really never had the chance to anyways, but I wonder if Fufu is actually good, because to keep it a buck, it looks disgusting, but the taste could be way different from how it looks, so I wonder if it's good to any of you who've actually tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've honestly never tried tether cultural foods before, and don't really have any foreign restaurants or anything near me, so I've really never had the chance to anyways, but I wonder if Fufu is actually good, because to keep it a buck, it looks disgusting, but the taste could be way different from how it looks, so I wonder if it's good to any of you who've actually tried it.
    I don’t know what tether cultural food is. I believe you are misusing the word. I’ve never had any African dishes. I eat Jamaican food every now and then. My brother turned me on to it some years ago. I really like cocoa bread, jerk chicken, rice and beans. I use to eat ox tails and curry chicken. I haven’t had jerk chicken in a while because it was too damn spicy the last time I ate it. I patronize two Caribbean spots. I will go to the other when I want food. The best to get is the cocoa bread and soursop drink. Another dish I liked to eat was beef patties. I also love cabbage. Now for some reason I haven’t enjoyed the Mac and cheese and desserts from one of the spots. Everything else is good.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don’t know what tether cultural food is. I believe you are misusing the word.
    I'm not using the word for exactly what it's meant for, when I say it, it isn't an insult, but is a word referring to Caribbeans, and Africans that are not of ADOS/FBA/AA origins, that's it. It's pretty useful when you don't want to say "Caribbeans and Africans" and stuff like that; nothing offensive meant by the word when I say it.
    I don’t know what tether cultural food is. I believe you are misusing the word. I’ve never had any African dishes. I eat Jamaican food every now and then. My brother turned me on to it some years ago. I really like cocoa bread, jerk chicken, rice and beans. I use to eat ox tails and curry chicken. I haven’t had jerk chicken in a while because it was too damn spicy the last time I ate it. I patronize two Caribbean spots. I will go to the other when I want food. The best to get is the cocoa bread and soursop drink. Another dish I liked to eat was beef patties. I also love cabbage. Now for some reason I haven’t enjoyed the Mac and cheese and desserts from one of the spots. Everything else is good.
    interesting. For someone starting off, which dish do you think people should try first to get the best representation of Jamaican cuizine?

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm not using the word for exactly what it's meant for, when I say it, it isn't an insult, but is a word referring to Caribbeans, and Africans that are not of ADOS/FBA/AA origins, that's it. It's pretty useful when you don't want to say "Caribbeans and Africans" and stuff like that; nothing offensive meant by the word when I say it.
    To each it’s own, but the word is being misused right now. The word automatically makes me think of sell outs like Austin Chenge.

interesting. For someone starting off, which dish do you think people should try first to get the best representation of Jamaican cuizine?
    You should try rice and beans, cabbage, beef/chicken patty. Also, I forgot to mention another dish I love. Plantains! Get a side of those. And don’t forget cocoa bread. You need it for your meat patty.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The word automatically makes me think of sell outs like Austin Chenge.
    Honestly not too familier with Austin Chenge, and I don't know what you particularly consider as being a "sell out", but I assure you that I am not one; I am for my ethnicity and the well being of my ethnicity solely.

To each it’s own, but the word is being misused right now.
    That's true, I'm not denying that much, I even said it my self, but I just think words aren't stagnant, and definition can be added onto (of course if people use it enough). I've said this in another thread, but I think Tether could be used as a more useful term, rather than an automatically negative one, and plus it's just convenient for me at least.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It is similar to dumplings in the UK but not quite the same. It is hard to explain. I have had fufu with some stews and chili before. I mostly ear Italian and Jamaican given my parents ethnicities.
    Oh you're both Italian and Jamaican? Which Jamaican dishes would you recommend then for starters?

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Fufu is like a plain, rolled dough - a cooked mass of flour ... When I first had it, I ate it straight which was a no no ..

Its meant to be eaten with something, ie sopping a biscuit with x - where fufu is the biscuit. If you want to try some West African, jollof rice is a good choice ..

Plantains is a good starter, so is rice and peas - something we would be familiar with ...

Just depends on what you like .. Curry chicken, curry goat , jerk chicken ... I'm a vegetarian, but one tends to gravitate towards those dishes .. ✊🏿

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Oh you're both Italian and Jamaican? Which Jamaican dishes would you recommend then for starters?
    Yeah my father is Jamaican and my mom is Italian. Jamaican curry is really good and can be easy to make. Jerk chicken with rice and peas is one of my favorites cause it is so simple. I never liked plantains though, even sweet fried ones. I can't recommend those even though my dad loves them.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've honestly never tried tether cultural foods before, and don't really have any foreign restaurants or anything near me, so I've really never had the chance to anyways, but I wonder if Fufu is actually good, because to keep it a buck, it looks disgusting, but the taste could be way different from how it looks, so I wonder if it's good to any of you who've actually tried it.
    It’s tasteless but it absorbs the flavor of whatever you’re eating. I’ve eaten with some Nigerian soups and it was delicious. BTW I know you say you don’t mean anything when you say “tether” but don’t use it here unless you’re using it to describe a coon. We want all Black people of all ethnicities who are on code to feel comfortable here and they won’t if they are being called tethers.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    BTW I know you say you don’t mean anything when you say “tether” but don’t use it here unless you’re using it to describe a coon. We want all Black people of all ethnicities who are on code to feel comfortable here and they won’t if they are being called tethers.
    Okay, I just think freedom of speech and expression should be protected, even if it does offend others, I like to exercise those liberties, even if I'm offended by what someone else says I think they should still be able to say those things even though I don't like it, but It's your website, so I'll stop.

It’s tasteless but it absorbs the flavor of whatever you’re eating. I’ve eaten with some Nigerian soups and it was delicious
    Seems interesting, never had anything like it, may try it once I go to an African restaurant.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Okay, I just think freedom of speech and expression should be protected, even if it does offend others, I like to exercise those liberties, even if I'm offended by what someone else says I think they should still be able to say those things even though I don't like it, but It's your website, so I'll stop.
    I hear you but where does it stop? Do we allow White people to come on here and call us n1gg3r, tar baby, [censored]?

Or do we allow Non-American Blacks to come on here and call us lazy people that don’t work hard and don’t appreciate what we got?

Allowing all of that conversation is preserving free speech but what does it yield? It yields dysfunction and people end up arguing over akata vs tether and who works hard and who doesn’t rather than focusing on us actually have productive dialogue and moving our communities forward.
    Seems interesting, never had anything like it, may try it once I go to an African restaurant.
    I believe it’s made out of corn starch, it’s like a dough corn starch ball that you dip into the soup. It’s actually a cool way to eat foos and I love the texture of it. I just need to find a west African restaurant in my area that has good customer service.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Allowing all of that conversation is preserving free speech but what does it yield? It yields dysfunction and people end up arguing over akata vs tether and who works hard and who doesn’t rather than focusing on us actually have productive dialogue and moving our communities forward.
    I personally think all these should be able to be discussed, maybe not to you though, but I think as long as you aren't threatening anybody, saying you're going to kill them, or anything violent, then I think It should be able to be said, by anyone. If people don't like it they could respond with a comment explaining their grievances with their choice of words, like you guys have here, but I don't think there should be a ban on language use all together, but that doesn't mean you can't police chaos, shutting down derailed threads could stop the bickering.
    I just need to find a west African restaurant in my area that has good customer service.
    Same, It's kind of hard finding African restaurants where I am. thinkingbrotha
    It’s actually a cool way to eat foos and I love the texture of it.
    Do you have to buy the soup separately, or do you get it along side the Fufu when you buy it in a West African restaurant?

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I personally think all these should be able to be discussed, maybe not to you though, but I think as long as you aren't threatening anybody, saying you're going to kill them, or anything violent, then I think It should be able to be said, by anyone. If people don't like it they could respond with a comment explaining their grievances with their choice of words, like you guys have here, but I don't think there should be a ban on language use all together, but that doesn't mean you can't police chaos, shutting down derailed threads could stop the bickering.
    Yeah that’s not what 6ZEROS is about. It’s about Black people having our platform to communicate with one another in an environment that puts our comfort first. You’ll never come here and have to argue with a white supremacist or argue with a Continental African that hates the diaspora and a Continental African will never have to deal with diasporans that hate Continentals. We will not always agree but we always have to respect one another as Black people at least here on 6ZEROS

Do you have to buy the soup separately, or do you get it along side the Fufu when you buy it in a West African restaurant?
    I believe the last place I got Egusi Soup I got a side of Fufu separately. It was inexpensive. Have you ever tried Ethiopian food? Bruuuuuuuuuuh FIRE!!!! So good.

Last edited:

Sun Light

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I've honestly never tried African foods before, and don't really have any foreign restaurants or anything near me, so I've really never had the chance to anyways, but I wonder if Fufu is actually good, because to keep it a buck, it looks disgusting, but the taste could be way different from how it looks, so I wonder if it's good to any of you who've actually tried it.
    I tried an African dish before not Fufu though.. The dish doesn't look appetizing to most people but I absolutely love it.. I've made it several times.. 20210725_133639.jpg

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I tried an African dish before not Fufu though.. The dish doesn't look appetizing to most people but I absolutely love it.. I've made it several times.. View attachment 4794
    What is it called?
    That's another time I first ate the injera by itself lol ... Fufu, it won't taste good alone, same for injera lol
    I love me some injera…the spongy texture and slighly sour taste. Now I’m getting hungry.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I tried an African dish before not Fufu though.. The dish doesn't look appetizing to most people but I absolutely love it.. I've made it several times.. View attachment 4794
    That looks good 👍 Is it Kenyan? What's the name of it?