The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Michael Bay: Sony ‘Had No Faith’ in ‘Bad Boys,’ Claimed ‘Two Black Actors Don’t Sell Overseas’

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    7527A42E-30DC-4C77-AB75-4C97BE27A364.jpeg

Sony didn’t believe in the movie, because two Black actors don’t sell overseas,” Bay recently told Entertainment Weekly. “They had no faith in it. I was watching James Cameron’s ‘True Lies’ and I’m like, ‘Oh, my God, this guy has so much money.’ I have only $9 million. And they shut me down, literally. They shut the power off. That’s how rude they were on this movie. Luckily I had 500 days of film set experience doing videos, commercials, working with some of the most famous athletes in the world, and that’s where you really truly know how to deal with assholes.”

Bad Boys” opened in April 1995 and grossed $141 million worldwide. The action movie was released a year before Smith’s star power exploded with “Independence Day,” but not even the success of “Bad Boys” could convince the studio behind “Independence Day” that Smith had appeal overseas. “Independence Day” director Roland Emmerich revealed in July 2021the studio originally rejected Smith for the lead role over claims that casting a Black actor would kill the foreign box office. “Independence Day’s” $817 million worldwide gross proved otherwise.

Bay would reunite Smith and Lawrence in 2003 for “Bad Boys II,” which earned $273 million at the worldwide box office. A third movie, “Bad Boys for Life” opened in January 2020 ahead of the pandemic and earned $426 million worldwide.

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I never understood why more Black's don't do what Tyler perry did, build your own studios, make your own movies. I can't stand the content Tyler puts out but I give him props for doing what every Black actor should do, I feel the same with black athletes. Ice Cube started his own league, it's not like these players don't have the money to get it started.
    Either they are scared or just like being under the thumb of white people.
    I don't get it.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They said that about Black super hero’s and Marvel but I guess Wakanda forever proved that wrong
    We've been hearing this shit in TV, Games, Movies, and all of it and it never rings true. In fact, they copy us all across the world. Got Koreans dancing around to our music...bunch of clowns.

John Horse lineage

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We've been hearing this shit in TV, Games, Movies, and all of it and it never rings true. In fact, they copy us all across the world. Got Koreans dancing around to our music...bunch of clowns.
    Rite bro, K-pop is the worst. The biggest culture vultures I know outside of the colonizers

John Horse lineage

Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yet, everything Black people discover and give birth to, it seems to always become a global cultural phenomenon amongst those same corrupt White supremacist bastards, who especially, have no problem in hijacking and manipulating as if they're the true innovators.
    Yes, we are global trendsetters.Our whole history and present was and is being hijacked