Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

New African-American girl character in street fighter 6 (Kimberly)

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    How do you guys feel about this character. Can't wait to play this character because of the representation of African-American characters

Also dunno if this has already been posted, if so oops
    She sounded like a valley girl and according to GACishere she’s Puerto Rican.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I wonder why it's so hard to believe that shes African-American, I mean just look at the characters moveset and aesthetic, graffiti cans, Hiphop music, etc... Looks nothing like a puerto rican also. Heres a screenshot from the wiki page.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 12.24.35 PM.png
    And inside the game when you go on character select, it has the American flag on it, so that's another example.

And yeah she does sound like a valley girl
    mjlol

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I wonder why it's so hard to believe that shes African-American, I mean just look at the characters moveset and aesthetic, graffiti cans, Hiphop music, etc... Looks nothing like a puerto rican also. Heres a screenshot from the wiki page.

View attachment 4694
    And inside the game when you go on character select, it has the American flag on it, so that's another example.

And yeah she does sound like a valley girl
    mjlol
    When I first saw the video I was like WTF they should have got a black person to do the voice over and then was told that it was a black woman. She probably is Black American, if so, that’s cool.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    She probably is Black American
    yeah it's confirmed that she is

When I first saw the video I was like WTF they should have got a black person to do the voice over and then was told that it was a black woman.

Swear I thought the same thing, and I feel kind of terrible for thinking that because I always expect Black voices to sound less "valleyish" (idk if that was the right word to use, but lets go with it), when I know alot of Black women who talk valleyish like this, including my sisters. I need to clear my brain of these stereotypes that Black women have one way of speaking.

Tati 304

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    yeah it's confirmed that she is

Swear I thought the same thing, and I feel kind of terrible for thinking that because I always expect Black voices to sound less "valleyish" (idk if that was the right word to use, but lets go with it), when I know alot of Black women who talk valleyish like this, including my sisters. I need to clear my brain of these stereotypes that Black women have one way of speaking.
    She doesn’t sound Black to me either and I don’t think that’s a negative thing. We have a way we talk it is what it is.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We have a way we talk it is what it is.

When you say "we", do you mean all Black people? or just Americans, because we do have different ways of speaking throughout the world; there isn't one standard way Black people speak, but If you're talking about us (AA), then yeah we do talk a certain way, but of course not everyone speaks that way; I also know Black women who do in fact speak this way that Kimberly is speaking; which is usually more common within suburban Black women.
    She doesn’t sound Black to me either and I don’t think that’s a negative thing.
    Yeah, she didn't sound Black to me at first either. This isn't the usual voice I'd hear coming from a Black woman.

Tati 304

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    When you say "we", do you mean all Black people? or just Americans, because we do have different ways of speaking throughout the world; there isn't one standard way Black people speak, but If you're talking about us (AA), then yeah we do talk a certain way, but of course not everyone speaks that way; I also know Black women who do in fact speak this way that Kimberly is speaking; which is usually more common within suburban Black women.

Yeah, she didn't sound Black to me at first either. This isn't the usual voice I'd hear coming from a Black woman.
    I meant Black Americans.

Hell Johnson

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They had to put a Black looking person on here because they want to use a lot of Hip-Hop elements in this Street Fighter. The Japanese would like a world without Black people. All their media is melanin deficient. Street Fighter 2 had Balrog but he was a brainless caricature of Mike Tyson. There's never a masculine smart & capable Black man in any Japanese media.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They had to put a Black looking person on here because they want to use a lot of Hip-Hop elements in this Street Fighter. The Japanese would like a world without Black people. All their media is melanin deficient. Street Fighter 2 had Balrog but he was a brainless caricature of Mike Tyson. There's never a masculine smart & capable Black man in any Japanese media.
    They don’t even make Japanese characters to keep it a buck. They make all their characters look western. They may have Japanese attire on but the facial features will be straight from the western world.

Hell Johnson

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Kimberly is a ADHD Hip-Hop ninja. I just took a look at here trailer and she is very hyper. Understand that the Japanese are very settle about their anti-Blackness. They took a dig at Black people with this character. She's unruly,loud,over excited,& uncouth. The Japanese find these Black American stereotypes to be interesting because they're culture is so rigid. They like the freedom that a Kimberly represents.

Maybe I'm wrong but her master must be Sakura. Very similar fighting style & energy. Street Fighter has always been a game with characters based on stereotypes.
    I was a big video game nerd once upon a time.

Hell Johnson

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They don’t even make Japanese characters to keep it a buck. They make all their characters look western. They may have Japanese attire on but the facial features will be straight from the western world.
    I'm going to disagree. Ken & Ryu definitely look Japanese. So does Akuma & other characters. Look at Guile & compare him to Ken. Guile looks like a white guy. Japanese animation styles like to downplay the eye lids of Asians by drawing the eyes a certain way. If that's what you're saying then I can see some of that.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm going to disagree. Ken & Ryu definitely look Japanese. So does Akuma & other characters. Look at Guile & compare him to Ken. Guile looks like a white guy. Japanese animation styles like to downplay the eye lids of Asians by drawing the eyes a certain way. If that's what you're saying then I can see some of that.
    I wasn’t talking strictly Street Fighter I was talking about their animation in general. Very light skin tones, large eyes, etc.

GACishere

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Kimberly is a ADHD Hip-Hop ninja. I just took a look at here trailer and she is very hyper. Understand that the Japanese are very settle about their anti-Blackness. They took a dig at Black people with this character. She's unruly,loud,over excited,& uncouth. The Japanese find these Black American stereotypes to be interesting because they're culture is so rigid. They like the freedom that a Kimberly represents.

Maybe I'm wrong but her master must be Sakura. Very similar fighting style & energy. Street Fighter has always been a game with characters based on stereotypes.
    I was a big video game nerd once upon a time.
    She's a Zeku/Guy clone

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They don’t even make Japanese characters to keep it a buck.
    To be frank, Asians do not like representing Asian features within games, and I think it's either due to idolization of Eurocentric features, or just self-hate. For an exampple, in Overwatch, there are two female Asian characters, Mei and D'va; they both don't look Asian, and before searching up thier country of origins, I just assumed that they were both White women.

28682.jpg Overwatch: D'va - Literally no Asian features, but shes supposidly Korean.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    To be frank, Asians do not like representing Asian features within games, and I think it's either due to idolization of Eurocentric features, or just self-hate. For an exampple, in Overwatch, there are two female Asian characters, Mei and D'va; they both don't look Asian, and before searching up thier country of origins, I just assumed that they were both White women.

View attachment 4704 Overwatch: D'va - Literally no Asian features, but shes supposidly Korean.
    Overwatch is made by Blizzard bruh.