The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Paranoid behavior that only Black people can understand

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Anyone got any "irrational" paranoia that causes you to do certain things as a precaution? For instance, I always give the address next door to my real destination when I'm taking a ride service. It all started around the time when they arrested the golden state killer, I took an uber from somewhere in Sacramento, and as we got into my neighborhood, he kept saying, "this is a nice neighborhood," but something in his voice hit me the wrong way. He started getting nosy, and asked me where i was going. I told him to visit my friend and that it was his place. After that, I stopped putting the correct address into the Uber requests because i don't like folks knowing where I rest.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Anyone got any "irrational" paranoia that causes you to do certain things as a precaution? For instance, I always give the address next door to my real destination when I'm taking a ride service. It all started around the time when they arrested the golden state killer, I took an uber from somewhere in Sacramento, and as we got into my neighborhood, he kept saying, "this is a nice neighborhood," but something in his voice hit me the wrong way. He started getting nosy, and asked me where i was going. I told him to visit my friend and that it was his place. After that, I stopped putting the correct address into the Uber requests because i don't like folks knowing where I rest.
I've always got my hand on my gun, inside of my purse, until I arrive to my destination, so try me if you want! 💯

Real One

Sixer
zBucks
I'm constantly paranoid about the world around me, whether it be about white people, hate, dealing with police, etc. I am very cautious when I go out, just because I know how easy it is for cops or others to look at me like some criminal or something. Doesn't help that the news and media are always talking about police brutality, murders and more. I never stay out too late at night, because you never know what can happen.

I'd suggest finding a business address nearby instead. This way you're not risking any neighbors as well. I rarely use ride share services myself because I find them to be too expensive, and I don't like dealing with the whole process. And you never know what kind of driver you're going to get.

D

Deleted member 191

I keep wasp spray and my knife on me. I always sit right behind the driver in the back seat because if I need to spray him and stab him I can reach over and grab the steering wheel if it comes to that.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
I'm constantly paranoid about the world around me, whether it be about white people, hate, dealing with police, etc. I am very cautious when I go out, just because I know how easy it is for cops or others to look at me like some criminal or something. Doesn't help that the news and media are always talking about police brutality, murders and more. I never stay out too late at night, because you never know what can happen.

I'd suggest finding a business address nearby instead. This way you're not risking any neighbors as well. I rarely use ride share services myself because I find them to be too expensive, and I don't like dealing with the whole process. And you never know what kind of driver you're going to get.
I typically don't go out after dark unless its imperative, or its business. RE: my neighbors, well, let's just say they don't have the hue to procure my sympathies.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have to think about this because a lot of my cautious behaviors are from growing up in gang and crime infested neighborhoods which intersected with being Black.

Mrs. BLACKRADICAL

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Oh man where do I start...
    I always stand in the back of the elevator, can't let anybody get the drop on me.
    Never ever use my government name in public.
    I prefer to eat at home because I don't trust people with my food but if I am out I always sit facing the entrance door.
    I go to the grocery store at the crack of dawn, I hate crowds and can't stand anybody standing behind me.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    I always stand in the back of the elevator, can't let anybody get the drop on me.
    I prefer to eat at home because I don't trust people with my food but if I am out I always sit facing the entrance door.
    I go to the grocery store at the crack of dawn, I hate crowds and can't stand anybody standing behind me.
    YES to all of that.

Terrymist

Master Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British
    1. Using a "fake/dummy" in case someone tries a robbery.
    2. Carrying a tactical pen. Keeping it on standby.
    3. When out, sit with my back to the wall facing an entrance.
    4. When in a building, especially one's that are unfamiliar, make a point of positioning myself near to any fire exits (where practical).

Terrymist

Master Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    British
    The first two I'll definitely implement, moving forward. Thank you.
    I also hate crowds, but I tend to do my grocery shop just before closing time, where it is also less busy.

Last edited: