The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Pets/Animal Companions

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I am not sure if we have a thread for this here or not but for me, I view my pets as members of my family. I always had a deep love and respect for nature and wildlife. My two cats are my babies and I love them. I grew up with several animals as my mother was always keen on having them around me and my brothers to show us and teach us to respect nature and living creatures. My dad was never big on keeping a lot of animals but he loves dogs and snakes. Still has a big python to this day.

Anyways, who here have pets? Share a bit about them.

zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
No pets now and haven't had a pet in around 10 years although I have considered getting one several times. I had several pets growing up including a turtle, rabbit, dogs, cat, mice, guinea pig, fish and ferret. And I love them all but since my family moved so much we never seemed to be able to keep them more than a year at a time. Some died but many we would have to either sell or simply give away when it came time to move. As an adult I haven't really had many pets. The last pet I had was fish (I had a 250 gallon tank) for a while and loved them but they ended up dying after during a very hectic and trying time of several moves due to unstable housing. I lost everything in my home during the moving not just my fish and the tank which I paid close to $300. I'm still pissed about that since the people I trusted to care for my fish let them die not to mention stole all my stuff. Anyway, I haven't had anymore pets since then because my husband isn't a pet person and basically views them as another child (and we don't need anymore children at this time) but if we were to get one it would probably be low maintenance specifically a small dog (neither of us are cat people) although my husband does have a interest in exotic pets (that he knows damn well we won't be able to properly care for such as a owl, bat, or cuttlefish) even though he keeps saying he doesn't want pets.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I took in a friend's two cats when she moved. I was never a cat person but holy crap, these little fuzzy ninjas stole my heart. I guess it is fair to say that most people who don't like cats never owned one. That is 100% facts. Now I don't see myself ever being without at least one!

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have seen a lot of weird pets. I saw one guy that owns a crocodile and I felt like it's too dangerous. How can you take up something that's capable of killing you? It's the same thing with snake as well. I can't do and it's why I prefer dogs and cats as pet.
    Some people are just crazy. I knew a guy who kept nothing but venomous snakes and reptiles. He ended up having to hand a lot of them over when the state banned the keeping of certain species. Unless you run some sort of educational program, there is no reason to collect dangerous animals like this.

Maxwell

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Some people are just crazy. I knew a guy who kept nothing but venomous snakes and reptiles. He ended up having to hand a lot of them over when the state banned the keeping of certain species. Unless you run some sort of educational program, there is no reason to collect dangerous animals like this.
    Exactly!! Such dangerous animals can pose a serious problem for the people living in that environment should anyone of them find its way out of their cage or a pen, I don't even know which one it's called.

If I'm not keeping a dog or a cat, then count me out. My girlfriend is a cat lover, so I tend to love cats more.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Exactly!! Such dangerous animals can pose a serious problem for the people living in that environment should anyone of them find its way out of their cage or a pen, I don't even know which one it's called.

If I'm not keeping a dog or a cat, then count me out. My girlfriend is a cat lover, so I tend to love cats more.
    Cats are easy to love. I prefer them over dogs by a long shot... But reptiles and such? Ehh. I mean I have had some. I had a corn snake when I was in my teens, and I had a few geckos in my early 20s. I would NEVER keep something that could hurt me or anyone else. That is just crazy. One pet I had that I wish I could find again was a paddle tail newt. I can't seem to find them anywhere anymore. I had my girl for about 5 years. She would dance for food and loved when my cat would come and watch her. She was a very interactive pet for being one that had to remain in a tank.

chinwe

Registered
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    I greew up with cats and dogs. I think its great to have pets and develope love for them. Having pets lets you become responsible and the feeling of accomplishment can be great. One of the biggest problems I noticed is the challenge of animal hoarding. This starts slowly as the animals start mating and giving birth, before you realise it their are animals everywere. It becomes more difficult to give them out for adoption because one has become attached to them emotionally. It becomes a chore cleaning after them, taking them to the vet and even walking the animals. Animal hoarding is now becoming more common and is even seen as a mental health illness that may need intervention by a trained therapist and psychologist.