The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Public School Lunch Problem

Real One

Sixer
zBucks
It's pretty sad that some school lunches look worse than what you'd get in a damn prison. You'd think with the money we as citizens pay in taxes towards schooling, it would result in better lunches for our kids. When I was in school, the lunches were awful for the most part, so I wouldn't doubt it's much of the same these days.

Also, I remember school lunch always being crazy expensive for the junk you got.

zBucks
School lunch is a joke growing up. Figured it wasn't going to change anytime soon. I would always take my own lunch to school because I never liked any of the food the school served.

These are our kids we're talking about, I thought the kids were our future, and yet we can't get them better lunches in school?

We pay taxes for our schools, why can't they use some of that money to get better lunches or a better lunch system setup?

YahudahQueen96

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thank you for sharing. Scatch lunches should be implemented in all these schools. I attended public schools all my life and can recall the school lunches in middle and high school. Wasn't all that great to me. I remember looking at school lunches in other countries online and wish it was that way here in the US. It's so unfair. I loved bringing my own lunch to school, even though I ate theirs sometimes. On some occasions, my mother would bring me food from restaurants I enjoyed. Looking back to when I completed internships at a Baltimore city school, I remember seeing some of the kids in second grade come in the classroom with their school lunches. If I had kids, I wouldn't want my children eating that stuff. It's a fact that the teachers don't eat that "food". Maybe fresh fruit, but from experience they bring in lunch from home. School lunch is similar to hospital food and jail food. For the most part it's bland and processed. Some of the school lunches were okay in taste, but a lot of it wasn't good. I think public schools should invest in better education and improve their food. I would rather see Black people open their own schools where Black children will actually learn, be treated fairly, gain skills, and get the needed nutrition and other services. This makes me think about how the money going into inner city public schools do not go to the students, but that's for another conversation.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    People have been complaining about public school lunches and school cafeteria meals for decades. Even the media and entertainment industry (which includes cartoons, music videos, films, TV series, and more) has released content mocking and making jokes about public school food and discussing how gross and unhealthy public school meals are. Absolutely nothing has changed.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm noticing something. When the schools were still racially segregated in the US, it's certain that the Black students were served the worst food and the white students were served the best food. Who wants to bet that the quality of school meals began to decline after segregation in schools ended on paper (it's still happening, especially with zoning laws) and when many districts began to see an increasing number of Black students?

Around the same time, the whites with resources not only went on a white flight, but took their kids out of public schools and into private schools. Only the non-Blacks with less resources remained in public schools, but these days even they are finding ways to opt their kids out of public schools (or public schools with a sizable Black student body).

This nation is set on making Black people suffer and deprived of quality resources as much as possible, even to the point where some other people can become collateral damage.

There's a reason this poison is being fed to our children and it's not just to attack the guts and health of "certain" students as a way to benefit the healthcare and Big Pharma industries either. Schools and prisons are known institutions. They serve "prison" food in public schools as a way to not only show how little you deserve, but to help gear you up for the prison system on a subconscious level with the school-to-prison pipeline. Schools are not just punishing and indoctrinating our children with harmful propaganda, but they are subtly institutionalizing our children as well. Just see how many cops, security guards, and police you'll find in many "urban" and "inner city" schools with large populations of Black students.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    School lunches in all public schools are trash. I went to a decent public school in a nice area and they still had trash food. It always smelled off and tasted like plastic. So for me, I just always had a packed lunch until High School when I was able to buy packaged items that were made at the school.