The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Public transportation sucks!

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
It has been a while since I had to take the bus but my car recently had some issues and I had to get to work. The state of the buses in my area are a joke. They look all worn out and people on them, I don't know man they just act as they have never been around people in public before. This one older dude was basically shoving his whole fist up his nose just picking away at it. Another person, I think it was a woman, was just itching her scalp and biting her nails the whole time. Some of the people had masks, most of them didn't. I am glad I had sanitizer on me.

How is public transportation around you? I know it can't be this bad everywhere. I know it certainly wasn't like this when I was growing up!

Nesut

zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
There are certain areas where it's "okay" but in general, it's pretty bad. I had to take the bus one time a few years ago and it was like stepping into another world

sanaalathanlaughIsn’t it weird being in a motor vehicle and not going to your direct location? Just getting close or within proximity of the location?

D

Deleted member 1946

I haven't taken public transportation since I was in Chicago in my high school days. That was maybe 15 going on 16 years ago. I thought their subway and bus system was nice. It wasn't the dump that I heard New York City's was.

G
Georgiacarolina
Dallas and Austin got a ways to go. I grew up using DC’s Metro system and rarely needed a car. Nice looking too.
D

Deleted member 1946

I used to ride the bus to work a few years back and saw all kinds of things. Everyone, including me, always looked miserable lol Glad I don't have to do that anymore but I was thankful for it when I needed it.
I am so glad I don't have to ride public transportation. I see all kinds of videos of despicable things folks do. And some have no regard for others' lives.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
America as a whole, cities, states, federal government, stopped investing seriously into mass transit decades ago. In the '50s the government with big money from car companies, the major tire companies, and any type of business that is car related had bought off the cities, states and federal governments.

The only incentive to have any additions or improvements to bus or train lines is that there are so many cars on the road today, it hurting the economy. Cities not known for major rush hour traffic now have it.

Everyone has a car. 50 years ago, the average family had 1 car. 25, 30 years ago, both parents did because both worked. Today, if a family has 2 kids once they reach HS they got a car, at least in the burbs, so the average suburban family has gone from 1 car to 4 in 50 years.

America should have been the first country with a bullet train. But the airline and car companies killed that. Japan, Korea, European countries, all have high speed rail. There are cities that are 2 and a half hours drive from each other in Korea (Daejeon to Seoul) and their high speed rail gets them to each other in an hour. Imagine getting from NYC to Philly in one hour? Or San Diego to Los Angeles in one hour?

Once you see the high speed trains in Spain, Korea, Japan, France, you will be pissed. The government knows 95% of Americans won't see it firsthand.

So, we are stuck with bus lines that are partially homeless shelters in Los Angeles and subways that house the homeless in NYC. Lastly, the cities with subways that were built literally over 100 years ago, are so decrepit they can have collapse at anytime. There are areas on the train lines in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia that the Department of Transportation knows isn't safe, hasn't been able to fix it for whatever reasons and can have a minor or major incident at any time.

S.O.J.I.A.

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
In most of this country PT is pretty damn rubbish. It's gonna be frequented by people who don't have any other transportation options. This country's transportation infrastructure is built around the motor vehicle.

This will be carried on by Elon Musk and the advent of the EV. EVs won't fix issues with the environment but merely replace old problems with new ones. If this country really wants to save the planet and be environmental, it needs to better develop it's PT infrastructure instead of making more motor vehicles.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I seldom have to use it, thank God.

The last time I used it was in the fall and there was some homeless dude that smelled like ass hanging out by the bus stop. Then he got into a fight with the bus driver cause he didn't have a bus pass or money to ride. The buses always smell like some sort of urinal dumpster fire.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black

The last time I used it was in the fall and there was some homeless dude that smelled like ass hanging out by the bus stop. Then he got into a fight with the bus driver cause he didn't have a bus pass or money to ride. The buses always smell like some sort of urinal dumpster fire.
It's up to the drivers to sanitize their vehicles & check them for safety, before they leave the bus yard.

D

Deleted member 1946

Why do folks feel entitled? The price is the price.

D

Deleted member 1946

In most of this country PT is pretty damn rubbish. It's gonna be frequented by people who don't have any other transportation options. This country's transportation infrastructure is built around the motor vehicle.

This will be carried on by Elon Musk and the advent of the EV. EVs won't fix issues with the environment but merely replace old problems with new ones. If this country really wants to save the planet and be environmental, it needs to better develop it's PT infrastructure instead of making more motor vehicles.
Absolutely. They want power/control. I hate electric vehicles.

D

Deleted member 1946

America as a whole, cities, states, federal government, stopped investing seriously into mass transit decades ago. In the '50s the government with big money from car companies, the major tire companies, and any type of business that is car related had bought off the cities, states and federal governments.

The only incentive to have any additions or improvements to bus or train lines is that there are so many cars on the road today, it hurting the economy. Cities not known for major rush hour traffic now have it.

Everyone has a car. 50 years ago, the average family had 1 car. 25, 30 years ago, both parents did because both worked. Today, if a family has 2 kids once they reach HS they got a car, at least in the burbs, so the average suburban family has gone from 1 car to 4 in 50 years.

America should have been the first country with a bullet train. But the airline and car companies killed that. Japan, Korea, European countries, all have high speed rail. There are cities that are 2 and a half hours drive from each other in Korea (Daejeon to Seoul) and their high speed rail gets them to each other in an hour. Imagine getting from NYC to Philly in one hour? Or San Diego to Los Angeles in one hour?

Once you see the high speed trains in Spain, Korea, Japan, France, you will be pissed. The government knows 95% of Americans won't see it firsthand.

So, we are stuck with bus lines that are partially homeless shelters in Los Angeles and subways that house the homeless in NYC. Lastly, the cities with subways that were built literally over 100 years ago, are so decrepit they can have collapse at anytime. There are areas on the train lines in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia that the Department of Transportation knows isn't safe, hasn't been able to fix it for whatever reasons and can have a minor or major incident at any time.
Wow. it is sad. But they don't want to spend the money to repair it.

D

Deleted member 1946

It has been a while since I had to take the bus but my car recently had some issues and I had to get to work. The state of the buses in my area are a joke. They look all worn out and people on them, I don't know man they just act as they have never been around people in public before. This one older dude was basically shoving his whole fist up his nose just picking away at it. Another person, I think it was a woman, was just itching her scalp and biting her nails the whole time. Some of the people had masks, most of them didn't. I am glad I had sanitizer on me.

How is public transportation around you? I know it can't be this bad everywhere. I know it certainly wasn't like this when I was growing up!
I think the state of buses everywhere are a joke. When I took the bus and subway in Chicago when I was in high school, they were clean. But I am sure that was an anomaly because I know others have said it was dirty when they were on them. I would much rather drive my car anyways. I can go and leave as I wish.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
It's up to the drivers to sanitize their vehicles & check them for safety, before they leave the bus yard.
Oh I know, and they seldom do that around here. There are only a few clean buses it seems. Even after we got updated/new ones back in 2015, they are still trash. I think this is down to lazy drivers and letting anyone on the bus, including drunks and homeless people.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Oh I know, and they seldom do that around here. There are only a few clean buses it seems. Even after we got updated/new ones back in 2015, they are still trash. I think this is down to lazy drivers and letting anyone on the bus, including drunks and homeless people.
I had a case of Lysol Disinfectant Spray in my trunk. Went to work early daily, just so I could degerm my bus. I hate germs & damn sure didn't want anybody else's.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I had a case of Lysol Disinfectant Spray in my trunk. Went to work early daily, just so I could degerm my bus. I hate germs & damn sure didn't want anybody else's.
I work at a clinic so I always keep a pack of those lysol wipes in my purse with me. Going through nursing school taught me way to much about germs lol