Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Sonic Frontiers Official Thread

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    FE82F1A2-2B5A-42A0-9A88-80F123685418.jpeg

Sonic Frontiers

Sonic Frontiers is an upcoming platform game developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega. It is the first Sonic the Hedgehog game to feature open-world gameplay; as Sonic, the player explores the Starfall Islands, which comprise various biomes. Development began after the release of Sonic Forces.

DeveloperPublisherRelease DatePlatformGenre
    Sonic TeamSegaHoliday 2022PS4/PS5/XBOX Series, SwitchOpen—World Platofrme4

Last edited:

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Sonic adventure 1 is the best 3d sonic game to this day
    I think they are finally getting serious about taking that to the next level. I will support Frontiers on day one because I want Sega to get away from the terrible boost gameplay that’s been plaguing Sonic for a decade if not more.

GACishere

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I think they are finally getting serious about taking that to the next level. I will support Frontiers on day one because I want Sega to get away from the terrible boost gameplay that’s been plaguing Sonic for a decade if not more.
    Well Sega doesn't know how to properly manage game development, their last game Sonic forces was bad because they spend most of their time rebuilding the Hedgehog engine

HeffDawg

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Well Sega doesn't know how to properly manage game development, their last game Sonic forces was bad because they spend most of their time rebuilding the Hedgehog engine
    My son has that game and outside of the cool soundtrack the game is garbage truck juice. The new create a charscter hedgehog was such a bad idea.

GACishere

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    My son has that game and outside of the cool soundtrack the game is garbage truck juice. The new create a charscter hedgehog was such a bad idea.
    The main problem with Sonic is that it has too many different audiences that they are trying to cater to :

you have sonic fans that only like 2d games
    you have sonic fans that only like the boost gameplay
    you have sonic fans that only like the adventure gameplay

and Sega has to make all those fans happy

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The main problem with Sonic is that it has too many different audiences that they are trying to cater to :

you have sonic fans that only like 2d games
    you have sonic fans that only like the boost gameplay
    you have sonic fans that only like the adventure gameplay

and Sega has to make all those fans happy

They actually don’t have to keep them all happy because it’s impossible. Sega HAS to alienate one or more of those audiences in order for Sonic to thrive and it should be the ones stopping Sonic from evolving into a franchise that has mass market appeal.

2D games are fan service, Boost gameplay is iPhone quality gaming, they need to gut those two audience and make an experience that the fans of the movies would want to play.

As of right now, Sonic as a game has no identity, no core values, no consistent thread that ties them all together. You can pick up Mario Odyssey and do moves that were present in Mario 64.

Nintendo decided what Mario was going to be in 3D and stuck to it. Sega hasn’t done that with Sonic and it’s why they have these fractured audiences.

I hope they revitalize the gaming aspect of the IP with this next installment.

GACishere

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    They actually don’t have to keep them all happy because it’s impossible. Sega HAS to alienate one or more of those audiences in order for Sonic to thrive and it should be the ones stopping Sonic from evolving into a franchise that has mass market appeal.

2D games are fan service, Boost gameplay is iPhone quality gaming, they need to gut those two audience and make an experience that the fans of the movies would want to play.

As of right now, Sonic as a game has no identity, no core values, no consistent thread that ties them all together. You can pick up Mario Odyssey and do moves that were present in Mario 64.

Nintendo decided what Mario was going to be in 3D and stuck to it. Sega hasn’t done that with Sonic and it’s why they have these fractured audiences.

I hope they revitalize the gaming aspect of the IP with this next installment.

I do believe Sonic needs a consistent 3D gameplay formula
    Like you said Super Mario 64 was Mario base formula and Nintendo stuck with it, they add gameplay mechanics in their sequels (fludd in sunshine and cappy in odyssey) but all in all it still plays like super Mario 64

Sonic had that with the first two adventure games but they got scared after Sonic the Hedgehog 06
    then tried the Boost Formula and the 2d sections for nostalgia.

I believe that Sega should have bought the studio that made Mania and have them as their own 2d house
    and leave the 3d games to Sonic Team

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I do believe Sonic needs a consistent 3D gameplay formula
    Like you said Super Mario 64 was Mario base formula and Nintendo stuck with it, they add gameplay mechanics in their sequels (fludd in sunshine and cappy in odyssey) but all in all it still plays like super Mario 64

Sonic had that with the first two adventure games but they got scared after Sonic the Hedgehog 06
    then tried the Boost Formula and the 2d sections for nostalgia.

I believe that Sega should have bought the studio that made Mania and have them as their own 2d house
    and leave the 3d games to Sonic Team
    100%. I think that's a good idea, give Sonic Team budget for another development house that will make 2D and Boost Sonic games and the mainline stays with the big team. I also think they need to get on a cadence for Sonic, maybe drop every 4 years and then let the big team work on something else in the between times.

I personally feel like the team is faitigued, it's just speculation but when I look at the garbage they been pumping out it's not all that creative. It's a bunch of Temple Run type of games.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Why is this game looking awfully a lot like Breath of the Wild? Or is that just me? It has been a minute since I played it but I am getting vibes like I saw it already.
    It was one of their inspirations from an interview I read. I hope it's just an inspiration and not a copy cat like Genshin Impact. Sonic needs his own style of gameplay and objectives that work for him. It looks like they have towers you have to climb to open up the map but instead of having to climb a ladder it's a ramp the whole way up. We'll see what they're cooking up soon.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    It was one of their inspirations from an interview I read. I hope it's just an inspiration and not a copy cat like Genshin Impact. Sonic needs his own style of gameplay and objectives that work for him. It looks like they have towers you have to climb to open up the map but instead of having to climb a ladder it's a ramp the whole way up. We'll see what they're cooking up soon.
    I see that a lot these days. Other game developers take inspiration from other games. I don't have any issue with that but if it ends up being a copycat or replica of another game, people are going to take fast notice.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I see that a lot these days. Other game developers take inspiration from other games. I don't have any issue with that but if it ends up being a copycat or replica of another game, people are going to take fast notice.
    I hope they take the formula and make it unique. They don’t need to copy it 100% then you got Sonic of the Wild. But an open world Sonic that really shows how fast he’s running and requires skill will be amazing.

Devin

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I used to be a major fan of Sonic on the Nintendo 64. Once I upgraded to better consoles, the Sonic games sort of went out the door. However, just by looking at this official thread, I am highly interested in giving this game a go. The graphics look outstanding, and everything is so interesting. I would have thought nothing about Sonic if it had not been for this official thread. Thank you so much for sharing and intriguing my interests!

GACishere

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I used to be a major fan of Sonic on the Nintendo 64. Once I upgraded to better consoles, the Sonic games sort of went out the door. However, just by looking at this official thread, I am highly interested in giving this game a go. The graphics look outstanding, and everything is so interesting. I would have thought nothing about Sonic if it had not been for this official thread. Thank you so much for sharing and intriguing my interests!
    umm sonic never came out on the nintendo 64, it was still a sega exclusive, it didn't become multiplatform until the Gamecube, PS2, Xbox era

Devin

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    umm sonic never came out on the nintendo 64, it was still a sega exclusive, it didn't become multiplatform until the Gamecube, PS2, Xbox era
    Are you really sure about that? If that's the case, then I must have mixed it up or something because it doesn't seem to add up now for me well. I need to look into it more.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    i think it needs more time in the oven

View: https://youtu.be/cxJ5_ovBC_g
    Excited Pumped Up GIF by ABC Network

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    i think it needs more time in the oven

View: https://youtu.be/cxJ5_ovBC_g
    978B95B3-519B-46FB-8563-853E0C584F26.jpeg

These sum up my thoughts completely. That was such a terrible first look at the game. There was a lot of fun elements but I saw very little game there and the person playing was making awkward movements. Sonic was standing around and walking aimlessly at points WTF.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    View attachment 3088

These sum up my thoughts completely. That was such a terrible first look at the game. There was a lot of fun elements but I saw very little game there and the person playing was making awkward movements. Sonic was standing around and walking aimlessly at points WTF.
    Best thing they can do after that video is to delay it until 2023. It is a great foundation but I think they need more than 6 months to get this where it needs to be.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Best thing they can do after that video is to delay it until 2023. It is a great foundation but I think they need more than 6 months to get this where it needs to be.
    I agree this has Halo Infinite vibes all over it. Just delay and come out with a fully polished product. This joint had pop in, no enemies, no story, nothing….it looked like a tech demo a year and a half out from release. I think if they had anything else to really wow us with we would have seen some hints today. I’m just going to keep my expectations at bay. I’m expecting a 6/10 upon release at this point.

ProMoatBlack

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I hope they take the formula and make it unique. They don’t need to copy it 100% then you got Sonic of the Wild. But an open world Sonic that really shows how fast he’s running and requires skill will be amazing.
    That's why Im excited for this. I love open world RPG's . And to be able to zoom around as sonic is super live!!

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah man I still think it looks cool. My girl rocks with the puzzles and as far as platforming, if this is the first level I can see how the platforming could get crazy later.
    They dropping more tomorrow so hopefully we can see something that looks more fleshed out.

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The game play so far needs some work but overall it shows promise; I would definitely cop this game when it comes out. But I do agree with most of the commenters that it does have a Breath of the Wild feel to it. Which comes to show that Nintendo still has some power that other companies are taking the inspiration of Zelda and try to make a game with the near feel of it.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The game play so far needs some work but overall it shows promise; I would definitely cop this game when it comes out. But I do agree with most of the commenters that it does have a Breath of the Wild feel to it. Which comes to show that Nintendo still has some power that other companies are taking the inspiration of Zelda and try to make a game with the near feel of it.
    I think that’s the best phrase “it has promise” but the question is does it have enough promise to make it something good in the next 4 months? I don’t think so. The fact that they haven’t shown us what the hud looks like or even the gameplay loops leads me to believe that they’re still trying to figure it out.

The enemies look like something straight out of 1999 3D game. Nintendo had the guts to reimagine Zelda 5 years ago and it was a smash hit. Here comes Sega copying it with Sonic and doing the most bare minimum rendition.

If you’re going to copy a 5 year old game at least do it better. This looks super shallow and barren.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think that’s the best phrase “it has promise” but the question is does it have enough promise to make it something good in the next 4 months? I don’t think so. The fact that they haven’t shown us what the hud looks like or even the gameplay loops leads me to believe that they’re still trying to figure it out.

The enemies look like something straight out of 1999 3D game. Nintendo had the guts to reimagine Zelda 5 years ago and it was a smash hit. Here comes Sega copying it with Sonic and doing the most bare minimum rendition.

If you’re going to copy a 5 year old game at least do it better. This looks super shallow and barren.
    Sonic must have smashed your chick breh.

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Delay would be preferred at this point. I've been on Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and the animations, polish, enemy set, gameplay loop, and everything else makes Sonic Frontiers look horrible. I know people want to be excited because we haven't had a good Sonic since maybe Generations or Unleashed but I don't think this is it. Gaming has come too far for this to be acceptable. The fact that they couldn't have even been bothered to implement a physics based movement system shows just how lazy Sonic Team is with the IP.

The Enemies

Sega took no time on these at all. They are ugly, uninspired, and don't look like Sonic at all.

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.53.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.54.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.54.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.54.52 AM.png

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

This doesn't look as bad as Sonic 06' which is labeled by the fans world wide over as the worst sonic game next to Sonic unleashed. The thing is I have to see a fully length in game play before i can be certain its worth my money. Would i still buy this game when it comes out...yeah once I see all the new features so far. I think at this point Sega is learning its lesson to some degree cause they have made some hits and misses but they are making an effort to do something different unless companies like UBISOFT who has a habit of the if its not broke don't fix it method games like assassins creed who pretty much has the aspect but with different mechanics. I'll give Sonic Frontiers a benefit of a doubt until the reviews come in.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This doesn't look as bad as Sonic 06' which is labeled by the fans world wide over as the worst sonic game next to Sonic unleashed. The thing is I have to see a fully length in game play before i can be certain its worth my money. Would i still buy this game when it comes out...yeah once I see all the new features so far. I think at this point Sega is learning its lesson to some degree cause they have made some hits and misses but they are making an effort to do something different unless companies like UBISOFT who has a habit of the if its not broke don't fix it method games like assassins creed who pretty much has the aspect but with different mechanics. I'll give Sonic Frontiers a benefit of a doubt until the reviews come in.
    It’s definitely different for Sonic but in context of the industry nothing here is new. The map looks like death stranding, the movement is Sonic Forces, and the on rails gameplay is on par with the linear sonic we’ve been plagued with. A janky ass BOTW with Sonic and some 1999 3dFx video card demo software enemies ain’t nothing to praise IMO.