Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
That visit says a few things. 1. They are shook AF. 2. It's them saying he is a threat and that is a good thing...even a great thing. 3. We gotta be careful in our speech. 4. It's a sign we as a collective are becoming more effective. Tariq is symbolic for the rest of us.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That visit says a few things. 1. They are shook AF. 2. It's them saying he is a threat and that is a good thing...even a great thing. 3. We gotta be careful in our speech. 4. It's a sign we as a collective are becoming more effective. Tariq is symbolic for the rest of us.
    He’s trending on Twitter so that means he can galvanize a mass of people. They want to make sure he stays in his place so their visit is basically saying to him “nigga we know where you at and will touch you if we need to”.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I just see two unidentified white men. No badges, no vehicles, nothing. Those guys were probably going door to door selling roofing services.

If the feds really wanted to get information, all they'd have to do is watch Tariq's YouTube shows. He puts Black folk's business online every Sunday and Wednesday night. Flex even taugh white folks how to speak Tutnese.

I like Tariq, but he is far from the second coming of Fred Hampton, and he's definitely not a threat to the system.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    He's said repeatedly he is no leader or wants to be. He's got receipts though. Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, all did talks at ballrooms, meeting halls, etc, I'm not sure how else any black person wanting to fight white supremacy can talk to black folks and no one else?

Also, the guy got hella receipts. I'm trying to think of anyone who has done more? Not saying he's Fred Hampton, not even close, but who else is doing more? If not him, who? (I''m also including Jason Black and PBT).

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    He's said repeatedly he is no leader or wants to be. He's got receipts though. Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, all did talks at ballrooms, meeting halls, etc, I'm not sure how else any black person wanting to fight white supremacy can talk to black folks and no one else?

Also, the guy got hella receipts. I'm trying to think of anyone who has done more? Not saying he's Fred Hampton, not even close, but who else is doing more? If not him, who? (I''m also including Jason Black and PBT).
    Okay, I'll play along. You said twice that Tariq has receipts. Receipts of what? Not trying to be funny, but that was a bit vague.
    Also, outside of his movies, what exactly has Tariq done for Black folks? Be specific, I have time today.
    Last thing: make sure you reply directly to me. I want to make sure that I see your post.

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    yes-eating.gif

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Okay, I'll play along. You said twice that Tariq has receipts. Receipts of what? Not trying to be funny, but that was a bit vague.
    Also, outside of his movies, what exactly has Tariq done for Black folks? Be specific, I have time today.
    Last thing: make sure you reply directly to me. I want to make sure that I see your post.

Supabrett

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You think the FBI would let him film and then?

Come on bruh. This tariq we talking about even if he "forgot" his phone you don't think he'd show the video of him answering the door and the fbi identifying themselves?
    I got the cheapest ring and it records more than the 30 seconds he was talking about.

The whole story don't make no sense anyway. Talking bout they questioned him about the Subway shooter. All these months later.

Sounds like a setup to back out that rally in a couple months.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Come on bruh. This tariq we talking about even if he "forgot" his phone you don't think he'd show the video of him answering the door and the fbi identifying themselves?
    I got the cheapest ring and it records more than the 30 seconds he was talking about.

The whole story don't make no sense anyway. Talking bout they questioned him about the Subway shooter. All these months later.

that would be interesting if he cancels that rally.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

I don’t like Tariq just want to put that out there. But your explanation sounds plausible. I could see him trying to back out of it. But also the money is going to be too good. Think of all the Mackish packages he can sell during the march.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    First, "...outside the movies.." The movies are HUGE in of itself. I'd love to know any black person with that body of work over the last 20 years..hell, go back longer. People with a helluva lot more resources haven't done anything close. Same with Jason Black but this about Tariq.

A lot of his contributions aren't public. But some of the ones we do know of are the 1000s of dollars he's paid as cash bail for protesters in St. Louis/Ferguson, Baltimore, etc. He's donated to other black projects: Jason Black, and before he fell out with them, Tommy Sotomayor and Dr. Umar Johnson. He paid for Dr. Wesling's funeral. His Ism Show put the spotlight on various black owned businesses in other cities. He recently paid for the security for the turn up at the radio station in LA. There are numerous other things he does on the side in terms of direct financial contribution.

My follow up question is who has done more? I'm not saying others haven't but if we are discussing 'What has Tariq Nasheed really done?' the question begs as opposed to whom? I'd love to hear some names.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    First, "...outside the movies.." The movies are HUGE in of itself. I'd love to know any black person with that body of work over the last 20 years..hell, go back longer. People with a helluva lot more resources haven't done anything close. Same with Jason Black but this about Tariq.

A lot of his contributions aren't public. But some of the ones we do know of are the 1000s of dollars he's paid as cash bail for protesters in St. Louis/Ferguson, Baltimore, etc. He's donated to other black projects: Jason Black, and before he fell out with them, Tommy Sotomayor and Dr. Umar Johnson. He paid for Dr. Wesling's funeral. His Ism Show put the spotlight on various black owned businesses in other cities. He recently paid for the security for the turn up at the radio station in LA. There are numerous other things he does on the side in terms of direct financial contribution.

My follow up question is who has done more? I'm not saying others haven't but if we are discussing 'What has Tariq Nasheed really done?' the question begs as opposed to whom? I'd love to hear some names.
    I asked outside of his movies, and you started talking about his movies in the first sentence.
    Anyway, if after all that time, the best answer you can provide is that Tariq has made some donatons, then Drs. Bill and Camille Cosby have him beat by a long shot. They've given millions of dollars to Black causes and personally financed the college education for hundreds of talented young Black people. Since you like talking about movies, Dr. Cosby also financed Sweet Sweetback's Badasssssss Song and Spike Lee's Malcolm X.
    Robert Smith paid the full tuition for Morehouse College's entire graduating class in 2019, which included talented young Black doctors, lawyers, teachers, artists, and businessmen.
    Tyler Perry took care of Cicely Tyson for the last 15 years of her life, and makes it a point to hire Black film crews.
    Even Mike Illitch, a white man, paid Rosa Parks's living expenses for the last decade of her life.
    That's five people just off the top of my head that answer your question.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Thanks. You mentioned outside his movies as if its small. It's significant. Now, you mentioned a few people who have spent way more with their money. Totally agree. I could add to that list as well with a number of other people: LeBron James. Michael Jordan. Jay Z has bailed 100s out of jail. Oprah has done tons of good work as well.

Unless you consider the aforementioned in the black empowerment space in terms of that's what they are known for and what they live their life doing, then we are talking apples and oranges. With the possible exception of Louis Farrakhan, I can't think of too many people with Tariq's resume in that space.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thanks. You mentioned outside his movies as if its small. It's significant. Now, you mentioned a few people who have spent way more with their money. Totally agree. I could add to that list as well with a number of other people: LeBron James. Michael Jordan. Jay Z has bailed 100s out of jail. Oprah has done tons of good work as well.

Unless you consider the aforementioned in the black empowerment space in terms of that's what they are known for and what they live their life doing, then we are talking apples and oranges. With the possible exception of Louis Farrakhan, I can't think of too many people with Tariq's resume in that space.
    1. Quote me directly. Please. I almost didn't see this.
    2. That's the difference. I don't count Tariq in the Black empowerment space. He's a YouTuber & a filmmaker. He can even be called a social media influencer and entertainer. That's it.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    1. Quote me directly. Please. I almost didn't see this.
    2. That's the difference. I don't count Tariq in the Black empowerment space. He's a YouTuber & a filmmaker. He can even be called a social media influencer and entertainer. That's it.
    Okay, understood. That's your view of him, okay, got it. You see him differently than myself and most others then. That explains it.

JerriBun

Master Sixer
    Super Moderator
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

The same crossed my mind when I saw his tweet. Will be an interesting next couple of months for sure.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Now that we have established we have 2 different views of Tariq, I had a follow up question from my original response to you that you didn't answer and I'll assume it was an oversight.

"My follow up question is who has done more? I'm not saying others haven't but if we are discussing 'What has Tariq Nasheed really done?' the question begs as opposed to whom? I'd love to hear some names."

And while you are thinking about that, I'll add another couple of names and if you consider them to be in that space. Namely Jason Black and Professor Black Truth.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Regarding the above post. I didn't know how to delete it. I'm tripping...lol. You answered it. Disregard that. I was thinking in the black empowerment space. So, I see that you meant overall and my post was regards to others in the black empowerment space when I posed the question.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Regarding the above post. I didn't know how to delete it. I'm tripping...lol. You answered it. Disregard that. I was thinking in the black empowerment space. So, I see that you meant overall and my post was regards to others in the black empowerment space when I posed the question.

Thanks in advance.
    You want me to delete it?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Thanks in advance.
    No problem. Reread what I wrote, though. I wasn't speaking in general terms. For example, The Cosbys & Robert Small financing the education for Black doctors, businesspeople, engineers, entrepreneurs etc. IS Black empowerment. Hosting a YouTube show and arguing with Africans on Twitter is good entertainment, but that's not community building.
    Tariq using money from his movie sales to pay for is a nice gesture, but so was Tyler Perry spending almost half a million dollars to cover Black customers' layaway at 2 Walmarts a few Christmases back.
    The Hidden Colors series was great, but being a good filmmaker doesn't make you Nat Turner.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    No problem. Reread what I wrote, though. I wasn't speaking in general terms. For example, The Cosbys & Robert Small financing the education for Black doctors, businesspeople, engineers, entrepreneurs etc. IS Black empowerment. Hosting a YouTube show and arguing with Africans on Twitter is good entertainment, but that's not community building.
    Tariq using money from his movie sales to pay for is a nice gesture, but so was Tyler Perry spending almost half a million dollars to cover Black customers' layaway at 2 Walmarts a few Christmases back.
    The Hidden Colors series was great, but being a good filmmaker doesn't make you Nat Turner.
    Tyler Perry, Oprah, Bill Cosby, aren't pushing for reparations, etc. I have the ultimate respect for what they have done and what they are doing, but they are part of the status quo.

I'm specifically talking about persons presently who spend the majority of their time on black empowerment, and pushing for black specific things. The aforementioned celebs are entertainers and athletes who help blacks. In the '50s for example there were many blacks who did similar things. But MLK Jr dedicated his time to changing things for blacks.

I'm NOT saying Tariq is MLK Jr in any sense of the word. And for the purposes of this discussion since you and I have 2 different views of him and what he does, lets talk about people who we can both agree on who are in that space.

In the past we had Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Amos Wilson, etc. Today we have Dr. Umar Johnson, Dr. Boyce Watkins, Kaba Kamene. And yes, I am aware of issues many (including myself have with Johnson and Watkins but they are officially in that space). Again, the aforementioned celebs and athletes aren't going to push for reparations, lead marches and protests, etc.

With regards to the examples in that space, I also included Jason Black, Professor Black Trush, we can add in there Dee Tubman, and although she has a thread dedicated to why she isn't...lol..Vicki Dillard is in that space whether or not she is respected or not as it seems by some.

So, again, I'll refine my question to those who are known for that space and who has made a career or at least spend the majority of their public life in that space. The celebs and athletes you and I named are not. They do it as an aside.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Tyler Perry, Oprah, Bill Cosby, aren't pushing for reparations, etc. I have the ultimate respect for what they have done and what they are doing, but they are part of the status quo.

I'm specifically talking about persons presently who spend the majority of their time on black empowerment, and pushing for black specific things. The aforementioned celebs are entertainers and athletes who help blacks. In the '50s for example there were many blacks who did similar things. But MLK Jr dedicated his time to changing things for blacks.

I'm NOT saying Tariq is MLK Jr in any sense of the word. And for the purposes of this discussion since you and I have 2 different views of him and what he does, lets talk about people who we can both agree on who are in that space.

In the past we had Dr. John Henrik Clarke, Dr. Amos Wilson, etc. Today we have Dr. Umar Johnson, Dr. Boyce Watkins, Kaba Kamene. And yes, I am aware of issues many (including myself have with Johnson and Watkins but they are officially in that space). Again, the aforementioned celebs and athletes aren't going to push for reparations, lead marches and protests, etc.

With regards to the examples in that space, I also included Jason Black, Professor Black Trush, we can add in there Dee Tubman, and although she has a thread dedicated to why she isn't...lol..Vicki Dillard is in that space whether or not she is respected or not as it seems by some.

So, again, I'll refine my question to those who are known for that space and who has made a career or at least spend the majority of their public life in that space. The celebs and athletes you and I named are not. They do it as an aside.
    I like (and listen to) all of the modern people you mentioned, but except for Dr. Kaba, they're all YouTubers. The only people in that group who have actually produced something tangible are Dr. Kaba, and Dr. Boyce.
    Just talking about reparations on YouTube isn't pushing for reparations. Playing the dozens with immigrants on Twitter isn't pushing us forward, neither is taking forever to renovate school buildings.
    I'm not worried about anybody in the YouTube space that you keep mentioning. I'm more impressed by people who are actually making things happen that benefit Black people. The people whom I mentioned earlier are GSD, not just making livestreams & getting YouTube checks.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    What exact 'tangibles' has Dr. Kaba and Dr. Boyce done? I ask not that I don't respect them. Kaba especially I like a lot. Dr. Boyce, I listened to routinely in the past, not as much now, but respect him anyway.

But you mentioned specifics with regards to those two so as you asked me regarding Tariq specifically what he's done. I'm asking the same of them (and any others).

I have stopped talking about Tariq. You have already made your view of him clear. For now, we are not including him. I am asking about those in the space that I described.

I don't know what GSD means?

As I understand it then Tyler Perry, Robert Smith, etc are the ones who are doing the most for 'black empowerment'? Or am I misrepresenting what you are saying? And if so, by definition then Tyler Perry, Bill Cosby, Robert Smith as they are far richer than other blacks so can do more monetarily, they are doing the most for black people? Just want to be clear. It's financial? Or if its not just financial, then what else, because your examples to my response were all based on money spent. Nothing else.

So, just some clarity about that as well as a specific list with regards to what Kaba and Dr. Watkins have done.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What exact 'tangibles' has Dr. Kaba and Dr. Boyce done? I ask not that I don't respect them. Kaba especially I like a lot. Dr. Boyce, I listened to routinely in the past, not as much now, but respect him anyway.

But you mentioned specifics with regards to those two so as you asked me regarding Tariq specifically what he's done. I'm asking the same of them (and any others).

I have stopped talking about Tariq. You have already made your view of him clear. For now, we are not including him. I am asking about those in the space that I described.

I don't know what GSD means?

As I understand it then Tyler Perry, Robert Smith, etc are the ones who are doing the most for 'black empowerment'? Or am I misrepresenting what you are saying? And if so, by definition then Tyler Perry, Bill Cosby, Robert Smith as they are far richer than other blacks so can do more monetarily, they are doing the most for black people? Just want to be clear. It's financial? Or if its not just financial, then what else, because your examples to my response were all based on money spent. Nothing else.

So, just some clarity about that as well as a specific list with regards to what Kaba and Dr. Watkins have done.
    GSD stands for "get sh*t done"
    Dr. Boyce has the Black Business School (even though some people credit that to an Asian) and Kaba has taught in and consulted for the NY Dept. of Ed. He has directly worked with Black students in a variety of grade levels.
    Also, I didn't say that the people whom I mentioned were doing the most for Black empowerment, I said that they were doing more than just making YouTube content. I brought up money because that's what you led with.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    GSD stands for "get sh*t done"
    Dr. Boyce has the Black Business School (even though some people credit that to an Asian) and Kaba has taught in and consulted for the NY Dept. of Ed. He has directly worked with Black students in a variety of grade levels.
    Also, I didn't say that the people whom I mentioned were doing the most for Black empowerment, I said that they were doing more than just making YouTube content. I brought up money because that's what you led with.
    My original statement was:

The only vague reference to money was the word 'receipts' which all of us in the black community define as a synonym for 'body of work, acts, etc. which could include money but not limited to but that aside...

I am familiar with those things from Kaba and Dr. Watkins as well as other things as well. Kaba has a long, long history in that space.

Dr. Watkins Black Business School as you know is not an actual university but mainly a paid entry to get financial understanding on how money works as well as discussions on personal finance. Not saying it isn't good, just for those who aren't familiar with it reading this post and thinking he has a brick and mortar university in the traditional sense. Dr. Umar also has worked with schools as another person with similar work as Kaba.

Okay, now I have a better understanding of 'your definition' of putting in work so to speak. I have asked a few times your thoughts on:
    Jason Black, The Black Authority
    Professor Black Truth.

I'll try to be specific since we seem to miscommunicate somewhat and I'll put that on me for now. Do you consider either part of the black empowerment movement in the same space as Kaba, Dr. Watkins, Dr. Umar, etc.?
    And if so, what is your level of respect for them?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    My original statement was:

You keep mentioning ballrooms & meeting halls, so I'll start there so you can stop typing that. When Min. Malcolm spoke at a mosque or Dr. King spoke at a church, they weren't speaking to the entire world, nor were they giving white folks information about us. Five or ten random white people in a hotel ballroom isn't the same thing as an entire internet full of white folks.
    The only vague reference to money was the word 'receipts' which all of us in the black community define as a synonym for 'body of work, acts, etc. which could include money but not limited to but that aside...
    I know what receipts are, but I guess you forgot what you wrote. Here's you talking about all the big money Tariq has spent:
    A lot of his contributions aren't public. But some of the ones we do know of are the 1000s of dollars he's paid as cash bail for protesters in St. Louis/Ferguson, Baltimore, etc. He's donated to other black projects: Jason Black, and before he fell out with them, Tommy Sotomayor and Dr. Umar Johnson. He paid for Dr. Wesling's funeral. He recently paid for the security for the turn up at the radio station in LA. There are numerous other things he does on the side in terms of direct financial contribution.

I am familiar with those things from Kaba and Dr. Watkins as well as other things as well. Kaba has a long, long history in that space.

Dr. Watkins Black Business School as you know is not an actual university but mainly a paid entry to get financial understanding on how money works as well as discussions on personal finance. Not saying it isn't good, just for those who aren't familiar with it reading this post and thinking he has a brick and mortar university in the traditional sense. Dr. Umar also has worked with schools as another person with similar work as Kaba.

Okay, now I have a better understanding of 'your definition' of putting in work so to speak. I have asked a few times your thoughts on:
    Jason Black, The Black Authority
    Professor Black Truth.
    Reread what I wrote earlier. I said that I like all of those guys, but I recognize them for what they are: YouTubers. They serve the same function as internet preachers: give information, get you hyped up, ask for donations/sell merch, then see you on the next show.
    I'll try to be specific since we seem to miscommunicate somewhat and I'll put that on me for now. Do you consider either part of the black empowerment movement in the same space as Kaba, Dr. Watkins, Dr. Umar, etc.?
    I'm not sure what you're trying to ask me. Can you clarify that question?
    And if so, what is your level of respect for them?
    I respect the way that all of those brothers & sisters have built their brands and online presences. I have as much respect for them as I do the bruhs on the 85 South Show, Bigg Jah, Korporate, or any other entertainer who got things poppin' on YouTube. I give them their props.
    Now I have a question for you. What makes you think that people who live on YouTube and aren't actually touching the people are the Black Empowerment Movement? I mentioned Malcolm and MLK earlier. Do you think that they would be as loved, revered, and feared as they were if they were only on the radio (that's a better comparison to the internet than a ballroom)? Martin, Malcolm, Fred Hampton, Kwame Touré, Steve Biko, Patrice Lamumba, the Panthers, etc. were feared by TPTB because they directly reached the people.
    TPTB don't fear anybody on YouTube.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I mentioned it once. "keep mentioning it" means more than once. Let's be accurate as much as possible and not create a false narrative. It's mentioned once at that time to say Youtube is the modern day ballrooms that the black activists of the '60s used.

The movies is Tariq's biggest contributions but you removed that. It's what most people know him for. Its like saying remove the marches, what has MLK Jr done? But okay. When I talked of Tariq its in the black empowerment/black activism space. You mentioned people who are not in that space originally. Tariq is known for that space, whether you accept him in that space or not. Mentioning Robert Smith, Bill Cosby, people who are not in that space muddies the discussion but okay, it's what you went with.

Answering this question: "What makes you think that people who live on YouTube and aren't actually touching the people are the Black Empowerment Movement?" Hmm? I'm not sure I fully understand this question. I'll put the onus on myself. 'live on Youtube and aren't actually touching the people...?" Who aren't touching the people and I assume you mean touching in terms of hearts and minds but I don't want to assume too much. Black empowerment manifests itself in all manner of ways, locally there are people in various cities that are grassroots, doing things. There are people with a national platform. It's not just one thing in my humble opinion.

Trying to answer:

I mentioned Malcolm and MLK earlier. Do you think that they would be as loved, revered, and feared as they were if they were only on the radio (that's a better comparison to the internet than a ballroom)? Martin, Malcolm, Fred Hampton, Kwame Touré, Steve Biko, Patrice Lamumba, the Panthers, etc. were feared by TPTB because they directly reached the people.

Completely different eras, and environments. Apples and oranges. MLK Jr's personal issues would have gone viral I am guessing. I don't know what TBTB means but I'll assume its white folks, the present power structure. Your opinion is the people these days aren't feared, as you stated before, you can't speak for people.

I think they are feared. Maybe not to to the same extent and degree the '60s icons but my opinion is definitely they are scared of Tariq, Jason Black specifically and for a time, Louis Farrakhan. White supremacy constantly adapts and changes and learns from the past. Blacks as a collective are in a completely different environment than the '60s. There are far more tools the system has, especially technologically. The DNC tried to recruit Tariq. The head of the DNC at the time. Howard Dean angrilly responded him on twitter regarding Kamala I think. The fact that his movies outsell even top Hollywood movies on Amazon, arguably the world's biggest dvd market and the mainstream media completely ignores it, tells me its fear.

Hollywood Reporter and Variety, the two biggest industry publications ignore him. But blacks who make non activist movies who have far, far less reach get articles written about them and deals. His and Jason Black's movies when shown in theaters are sold out and often have extra showings.

I don't see any other means by how reparations became part of the Democratic debate than the grassroots of the so called New Black Media pressing it.

But we differ on the impact of his, and others or maybe just his. When I was first told about Tariq he had about 50,000 subscribers, a few years later close to 200,000. Not sure how many people could crowd fund a million dollars in a month for a museum and we can speculate it but I don't think outside of celebs and entertainers (and I would even question their ability to), many have a strong enough reputation in the black empowerment space as I define it could. Dr. Umar couldn't do it over years.

Lastly, its interesting that Kaba and Dr. Watkins both appear in the movies of 'just a Youtuber', but, whatever. There are many 1000s who have credited him mainly along with others into their supporting of black activism, empowerment whatever one wishes to call it. Others, like yourself, aren't impacted by him but that's how things work. We all gravitate to what motivates us and in the end it doesn't matter how you got on code, who helped get you there, as long as you get there.

I would assume there is very little difference between your beliefs about black empowerment and mine despite differing on some people in that space.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    For the last time, quote me directly. Please. Today is Saturday, and I'm running around. If I don't see a notification, I won't know that you replied to me.

The movies is Tariq's biggest contributions but you removed that. It's what most people know him for. Its like saying remove the marches, what has MLK Jr done?
    If you think that Dr. King did nothing other than march, then you clearly don't know the scope of the man's work. Maybe you don't know because you're Caribbean, but don't disrespect the legacy of one of our Black American heroes.
    But okay. When I talked of Tariq its in the black empowerment/black activism space. You mentioned people who are not in that space originally.
    Wrong. I mentioned people who have done more for Black empowerment than just making YouTube videos. If you can't understand how the examples that I listed empower the Black community, then we should end this conversation now.
    Tariq is known for that space, whether you accept him in that space or not.
    Maybe you only know Tariq for his movies & YouTube shows, but I remember Tariq when he was a rapper, when he was writing books on the mack lifestyle, and when he was trying to be an actor (his role as a pimp in one of Michael Moore's projects was pretty funny). He's been in entertainment for a long time. I'm not knocking his hustle. Anyway, to those of us who knew about K-Flex back in the day, those are some of the things he's known for.
    Mentioning Robert Smith, Bill Cosby, people who are not in that space muddies the discussion but okay, it's what you went with.
    It doesn't. Not any more than you mentioning Dr. Umar, Jason Black, or PBT.
    Answering this question: "What makes you think that people who live on YouTube and aren't actually touching the people are the Black Empowerment Movement?"
    I'll ask the question a different way. Why do you think that the YouTubers that you mentioned are the "Black Empowerment Movement", and people who are actually building our community aren't?
    Trying to answer:

I mentioned Malcolm and MLK earlier. Do you think that they would be as loved, revered, and feared as they were if they were only on the radio (that's a better comparison to the internet than a ballroom)? Martin, Malcolm, Fred Hampton, Kwame Touré, Steve Biko, Patrice Lamumba, the Panthers, etc. were feared by TPTB because they directly reached the people.
    TPTB means "The powes that be"
    I think they are feared. Maybe not to to the same extent and degree the '60s icons but my opinion is definitely they are scared of Tariq, Jason Black specifically and for a time, Louis Farrakhan.
    Minister Farrakhan isn't a YouTuber. The NOI has actually done things in the community. Don't lump him hin with those guys.
    The fact that his movies outsell even top Hollywood movies on Amazon, arguably the world's biggest dvd market and the mainstream media completely ignores it, tells me its fear.
    The fact that Tariq's movies, t-shirts, keychains, flags, pepper spray, etc. sell just mean that he's a good salesman. I never disputed that.
    Hollywood Reporter and Variety, the two biggest industry publications ignore him. But blacks who make non activist movies who have far, far less reach get articles written about them and deals. His and Jason Black's movies when shown in theaters are sold out and often have extra showings.
    I was at the Hidden Colors 5 premiere in DC. It was at the Landmark Theater (which is a mid-size theater), and it was nowhere close to being sold out. Stop taking everything that Tariq brags about as gospel.
    I don't see any other means by how reparations became part of the Democratic debate than the grassroots of the so called New Black Media pressing it.
    With all due repect, I attribute that to you either being young, uninformed, or you being an immigrant. FBA have been pushing for reparations for decades. It has taken a long time and a lot of work to get to this point, I can't give the YouTube guys credit for that.
    When I was first told about Tariq he had about 50,000 subscribers, a few years later close to 200,000.
    That means nothing. Influencers buy subscribers & followers all the time: How to Buy Social Media Followers - Due
    It's the reason some no named rapper or IG model would have over a million followers without dropping a mixtape or a product. It's a part of sales, don't fall for the superficial stuff.
    Not sure how many people could crowd fund a million dollars in a month for a museum and we can speculate it but I don't think outside of celebs and entertainers (and I would even question their ability to), many have a strong enough reputation in the black empowerment space as I define it could. Dr. Umar couldn't do it over years.
    People raise money all the time. Again, that doesn't impress me. By the way, Dr. Umar allegedly did raise over a million, but he tricked off most of it. Allegedly.
    Lastly, its interesting that Kaba and Dr. Watkins both appear in the movies of 'just a Youtuber', but, whatever.
    That means nothing. Tariq paid people to appear in his movie, and they appeared. 🤷🏾‍♂️
    I would assume there is very little difference between your beliefs about black empowerment and mine despite differing on some people in that space.
    I agree with this. 👊🏾

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    There is NO ONE that has been mentioned, MLJ jr all the way down the line to Tariq that I personally think hasn't done something significant. I'll state it as clearly as that. If you read something else into it, then it is what it is.

Unless you have proof Tariq has bought viewers, its pure speculation NOT fact. The fact he had best selling books prior and the fact that his movies outsell major Hollywood productions in the world's biggest DVD market when they are released would perhaps suggest to some he doesn't have to buy listeners but okay, you think otherwise...lol...so be it, we are entitled to our opinion. They don't get paid much from my understanding. His and Jason Black's movies have had 2nd showings added in some of the venues but okay. Also, in YOUR opinion the two people you named, Kaba and Dr. Watkins of 'contributing more than Tariq' and firmly in the black empowerment space have appeared in Tariq's black empowerment movies (means nothing to you makes it your opinion, fine, its YOUR opinion and again you are entitled to it. For some of us it tells us that they view Tariq as one of your own if we are now using inference in the debate.
    Dr. Watkins himself appears online almost exclusively but okay, he is not just a youtuber though? But okay. Kaba appeared in Jason Black's Race War movie but maybe that is just what it is.

With regards to reparations I limited it specifically to saying it has never been part of the Democratic party debate. I mention NOTHING of Tariq and others today being the first, in fact, he and others repeatedly invoke Dr. Claud Anderson discussing it for decades. I've seen videos of Dr. Anderson talking about it in the '70s. In fact, its how I learned about Dr. Anderson. There are others as well.

If you can't see the reach and pull of being able to raise a million in a month and someone else needing years to do it, and the significance of that, then there is no other way to convey it. I'll leave it at that. What Dr. Umar does with it isn't germane. The fact Tariq could do it in a month to some of us, not you perhaps, but to some of us, speaks volumes. It's speculation, but I doubt Kaba, Dr. Watkins, any other non celeb could. Let me state it clearly, it does diminish the works of Kaba. The man is a black empowerment icon. But he simply doesn't have that kind of reach for whatever reason one can attribute that to. You are not impressed, fine, for some people it's very impressive.

At the end of the day, most everyone on this site is fighting for black Empowerment. Agree on that. You can have the last word. Anyone can infer on their own from either of our posts what they want.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    usher laugh

I think he brought it up near the end as something hating immigrants/tethers (or whatever) always bring up.
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sounds about right.
    Yea he mentioned in passing.
    I think he'll build it. How long it stays open is another question.
    We’ll see. He might have to throw a janky one up at the last minute.
    He got the money for it a year ago. I'm curious. Just how long did it take for most, museums, even the smaller ones to be built from planning, money to completion?

Exactly.
    We can use that same talking point for Dr. Umar. FDMG still has not went up.