Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

The Definitive Horror Movie and Series Thread

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
This discussion will include any and all movies, series, sequels, prequels, threequels, documentaries, shockumentaries, lists, watch events, etc etc related to the Horror/Thriller/Psychological/Paranormal/ related Genre- upcoming, ongoing, previewing.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
1638293538614.jpeg
Hellbound is Netflix's latest hit series from South Korea, set in an alternate world where supernatural beings appear and tell humans that they are on a one-way trip to Hell. It's a cruel world where people must find a way to deal with or avoid such a fate, with one religious group claiming these beings are like angels.

The show has been a hit on the streaming service worldwide, where it's currently the top non-English language series around the globe with over 43 million hours watched in its first three days of release.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
Do you consider get out to be horror?
Not really. I mean, in terms of psychological horror - yes. But it was more of mystery/thriller elements imo. I think your question is subjective in a way. Because one person's concept of horror or what scares them, may not apply to someone else. For me, if it's not monsters, ghosts, supernatural, slashers, or paranormal then it's not "horror" per se. But others may think since Get Out was about mind control - that would be in the horror category.

"But how do you know if you’re watching a horror movie when there’s no killer or monster, exorcism or blood? It’s a decades-old question that’s being asked about new films that blur the line between a movie with horror and a horror movie. So what is a horror movie? It comes down to intent, said Wickham Clayton, a film scholar and the editor of “Style and Form in the Hollywood Slasher Film.” Horror movies, he said, are about audiences “being uncomfortable, unsettled and disturbed.”"
When Is a Horror Movie Not a Horror Movie?

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin

Boss Hog

Master Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
"US" was more horror related to me than Get Out tbh. That unexpected conclusion at the end of US was on another level. Definitely liked US much better than Get Out.
"US" was mids to me I need to rewatch after hearing Tariq's take on the tethers being other Blacks. But after the first watch I was like bleh shit just didn't hit like Get Out did.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Not really. I mean, in terms of psychological horror - yes. But it was more of mystery/thriller elements imo. I think your question is subjective in a way. Because one person's concept of horror or what scares them, may not apply to someone else. For me, if it's not monsters, ghosts, supernatural, slashers, or paranormal then it's not "horror" per se. But others may think since Get Out was about mind control - that would be in the horror category.

"But how do you know if you’re watching a horror movie when there’s no killer or monster, exorcism or blood? It’s a decades-old question that’s being asked about new films that blur the line between a movie with horror and a horror movie. So what is a horror movie? It comes down to intent, said Wickham Clayton, a film scholar and the editor of “Style and Form in the Hollywood Slasher Film.” Horror movies, he said, are about audiences “being uncomfortable, unsettled and disturbed.”"
    When Is a Horror Movie Not a Horror Movie?
    This is a great answer and makes a lot of sense because I absolutely HATE movies that fall within the traditional definition of horror as you put "monsters, ghosts, supernatural, slashers, or paranormal" but Get Out IMO kinda straddled the fence. It was "horroresque" as you put, it was horror to me because if I was in the main character's shoes it would be horrifying but would it be a horror movie to a White person? I don't think it would, it would fall more into the "Mystery/Thriller" category.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    My favorite horror movie of all time is by far The Blair Witch Project. The one thing that really resonated with me was how alone you feel throughout the entire film. Scenes like this are so empty and lonely and chilling.

601BAD01-C9BB-4131-B1D2-FBB52E91BE14.jpeg

The movie also didn’t have this impressive soundtrack always trying to guide my emotions. I was allowed for be out in the woods with them and see their confusion and their fear in real time.

The simplicity of it made it awesome. My all time favorite.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    P.
    View attachment 882
    Hellbound is Netflix's latest hit series from South Korea, set in an alternate world where supernatural beings appear and tell humans that they are on a one-way trip to Hell. It's a cruel world where people must find a way to deal with or avoid such a fate, with one religious group claiming these beings are like angels.

The show has been a hit on the streaming service worldwide, where it's currently the top non-English language series around the globe with over 43 million hours watched in its first three days of release.
    I kept seeing this in my lineup, but never clicked on it. The premise sounds dope though, and South Korean horror flicks are usually on point. Thanks, Nicole, I'll start watching this tonight!

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    How do you feel about the new Scream movie coming out in January? I'm on the fence about it. The trailer looks decent but some of these sequels really miss the mark.
    Looking forward to it, immensely. I want my OG team back like Sydney, Gail, Dewey bc that’s who I grew up watching so I’m hoping they keep the same energy with this latest. Been waiting for it to drop for a long time. I hope they just keep it straight up horror and not add all of the agendas which seems to be the theme these days.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    P.

I kept seeing this in my lineup, but never clicked on it. The premise sounds dope though, and South Korean horror flicks are usually on point. Thanks, Nicole, I'll start watching this tonight!
    Be warned. Hellbound is graphic and brutal violence but not gore for the sake of gore. If you watch all six episodes, you will see that the shock value of certain scenes serves a purpose. I think that I actually liked HellBound more than Squid Games.

Squid Games- idk everyone seemed like the worst of society with low morals so it didn’t matter to me who ultimately won in the end. But Hellbound has so many twists and diverged plots along with characters that you actually feel for.

I couldn’t empathize with the squid game players - I mainly watched to see what the each level of the games were. Like with the Saw franchise - some of us stopped caring about the story at like the 7th Saw lol - we were more interested in the design of the traps, the scenarios. HellBound I rate it an 8.5/10 bc it ended on a major cliff hanger and it was open ended. I’ll say less so I don’t spoil - series like that are best going in cold, the less info the better

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Be warned. Hellbound is graphic and brutal violence but not gore for the sake of gore. If you watch all six episodes, you will see that the shock value of certain scenes serves a purpose. I think that I actually liked HellBound more than Squid Games.
    So this joint follows the “escape room” type vibe where people gotta make they way through something? I never got into SAW but watch that Squid Games trash and would like something like that with more of a story. Squid Games was just an excuse for gore with the hint of some big reveal that never happend.

The old nigga at the end just fucked the whole story up

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    So this joint follows the “escape room” type vibe where people gotta make they way through something? I never got into SAW but watch that Squid Games trash and would like something like that with more of a story. Squid Games was just an excuse for gore with the hint of some big reveal that never happend.

The old nigga at the end just f**ked the whole story up
    HellBound is more like The Purge. Very much like the Purge. In that there’s the typical groupthink gone way out of control amplified by social media passing judgement on a person’s character and decisions despite never knowing them in real life. Religious cults and occultism. Religious zealots gone rogue, who end up committing worse acts than the people who they try to condemn. Added into the mix - Thanos type demons who wreak havoc as the minions of the devil.

Anything more I tell you would spoil the experience because there’s so many layers and plot twists.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin

The old nigga at the end just f**ked the whole story up
    That last episode of Squid Games ruined it for me. Didn’t like how they ended it.

But HellBound is more story development that plays on our fear and concept of right and wrong to help society. Squid Games is “I’ll do whatever and act whoever just to save myself from my bad decisions and f-k everybody else as long as I get my rewards”

HellBound - Like what if you were told the exact date of your death and the fate of your soul? Somehow you found out that your life would end on July 7, 2028 at 4:00pm. Your reaction is going to be 1) you either drive yourself crazy with worry or fear 2) or accept that as your end, try to make as many contributions as you can, see life from a perspective of value 3) anger/ resentment - acting out all reckless, making other people feel miserable.

Squid Games is piece of sh—t people trying to run from reality. Like none of them were worth anything at The end. Evil competing against evil to see whose more evil.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    HellBound - Like what if you were told the exact date of your death and the fate of your soul? Somehow you found out that your life would end on July 7, 2028 at 4:00pm. Your reaction is going to be 1) you either drive yourself crazy with worry or fear 2) or accept that as your end, try to make as many contributions as you can, see life from a perspective of value 3) anger/ resentment - acting out all reckless, making other people feel miserable.
    You sold me! That sounds bad ass. I like things that make you think so I think I can get into it. As long as it ain’t a Scream type of horror where someone having a hand gun could end the movie in the first 5 mins. I don’t like having to suspend reality too much to watch it.

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That last episode of Squid Games ruined it for me. Didn’t like how they ended it.

But HellBound is more story development that plays on our fear and concept of right and wrong to help society. Squid Games is “I’ll do whatever and act whoever just to save myself from my bad decisions and f-k everybody else as long as I get my rewards”

Squid Games is piece of sh—t people trying to run from reality. Like none of them were worth anything at The end. Evil competing against evil to see whose more evil.
    That shit is a crazy ass premise for a show. I can only imagine that the length of time that you got go make of those 3 responses much more intense. I mos def gotta peep and you right about squid games. It was a bunch of loser ass people the main character was such a bum ass at no point did I like him.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    That ish is a crazy ass premise for a show. I can only imagine that the length of time that you got go make of those 3 responses much more intense. I mos def gotta peep and you right about squid games. It was a bunch of loser ass people the main character was such a bum ass at no point did I like him.
    I think you’ll find it interesting. And off the rip- the first 10 mins of the first episode had me hooked. If you do watch it- don’t watch the English dub version. I always prefer to watch foreign movies/series in their original language and read the English subtitles. Because voice actors translating foreign languages don’t have the same intensity.
    usher laugh

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Late Halloween entry. Omar Epps has a horror movie on Hulu titled “Trick”- it was actually good. Trailer:

View: https://youtu.be/kX87UogsuuE

On Halloween night in 2015, Patrick `Trick' Weaver massacred his classmates at a costume party. After being arrested, he managed to escape police custody, but not before being shot five times by Detective Mike Denver. Everyone believes Trick must be dead, but when a masked killer reappears the following Halloween, and every Halloween after that, they realise the nightmare is not over.
    Release date: October 18, 2019 (USA)
    Director: Patrick Lussier
    Starring: Omar Epps

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Continuing on the theme of black actors/actresses in horror movies/series. Luke Cage and his Evil series - CBS Access.
    MV5BMDA5MmEzZjMtODM3NS00MzE0LWIwNTQtMmY0ZTRmMmI3M2FiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Season 1 was A1. Im on the last 2 eps of fin
    Season 2. Not as engaging as season 1 but still watchable.

View: https://youtu.be/WFvo3fS4Zwc

View: https://youtu.be/rOWsDhjWj0s

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think you’ll find it interesting. And off the rip- the first 10 mins of the first episode had me hooked. If you do watch it- don’t watch the English dub version. I always prefer to watch foreign movies/series in their original language and read the English subtitles. Because voice actors translating foreign languages don’t have the same intensity.
    usher laugh
    I can’t do the reading I be too busy paying attention to the words and lose track of the shit on screen.

laughingblackguy

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022- February (Netflix)
    Here’s the official synopsis, since it includes some key information about a character we haven’t seen in decades: “Melody (Sarah Yarkin), her teenage sister Lila (Elsie Fisher), and their friends Dante (Jacob Latimore) and Ruth (Nell Hudson), head to the remote town of Harlow, Texas to start an idealistic new business venture. But their dream soon turns into a waking nightmare when they accidentally disrupt the home of Leatherface, the deranged serial killer whose blood-soaked legacy continues to haunt the area’s residents — including Sally Hardesty (Olwen Fouéré), the sole survivor of his infamous 1973 massacre who’s hell-bent on seeking revenge.”

As the world turns, another Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel arrives, doing its best to recapture the grim, grimy magic wrought by the 1974 horror classic. But the next entry in the series, which arrives on Netflix in February, borrows a page from the current Halloween films by billing itself as a direct sequel to Tobe Hooper’s original. It will also introduce a new kind of prey for Leatherface (Mark Burnham) and his cannibal family: hipsters!

Those dominos include, of course, young city folk, including Castle Rock’s Elsie Fisher, who cross paths with Texas Chainsaw’s backwoods killers, still lurking after 50 years. “I think the first movie really hit a nerve when portraying that culture clash between the countryside and the city. Back in the ‘70s, the hippies were representing the youth of the city,” Álvarez said. “This time, they’re more like millennial hipsters from Austin who are very entrepreneurial and have a dream of getting away from the city and back to the countryside. They’re trying to gentrify small-town America—and let’s just say they encounter some pushback.”

1638645276085.jpeg

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    anyone see that Vivarium movie? How do you think that would've worked with a black cast?
    Nope haven’t seen it. Looked boring from the outset and didn’t want to further waste my time. What do you mean “black cast”?? What kind of question is that??
    hhhdisgust
    @Jay - this poster isn’t verified?

corneliusb

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I never saw it but how do you think it would have worked?
    way different than that bullshit i watched last night.
    View: https://youtu.be/U3Xy2x9NDrw

that's the second time I've been tricked by a damn trailer talking about "innovative thriller" and "Edge of your seat..."
    the other one was Lamb

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    way different than that bullshit i watched last night.
    View: https://youtu.be/U3Xy2x9NDrw

that's the second time I've been tricked by a damn trailer talking about "innovative thriller" and "Edge of your seat..."
    the other one was Lamb
    usher laughDo you think it would have benefitted from a Black cast? What was the issues with it?

corneliusb

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Nope haven’t seen it. Looked boring from the outset and didn’t want to further waste my time. What do you mean “black cast”?? What kind of question is that??
    hhhdisgust
    @Jay - this poster isn’t verified?
    with black people in it?
    thought that was a pretty straightforward question...

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    figured no one would watch it judging by how the conversation was going.
    anyway, I couldn't see a black couple putting up with the boy's behaviour, the way he talked...all of it.
    I would check it out but it doesn’t sound good so ima skip. I need to watch hell bound

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022- February (Netflix)
    Here’s the official synopsis, since it includes some key information about a character we haven’t seen in decades: “Melody (Sarah Yarkin), her teenage sister Lila (Elsie Fisher), and their friends Dante (Jacob Latimore) and Ruth (Nell Hudson), head to the remote town of Harlow, Texas to start an idealistic new business venture. But their dream soon turns into a waking nightmare when they accidentally disrupt the home of Leatherface, the deranged serial killer whose blood-soaked legacy continues to haunt the area’s residents — including Sally Hardesty (Olwen Fouéré), the sole survivor of his infamous 1973 massacre who’s hell-bent on seeking revenge.”

As the world turns, another Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel arrives, doing its best to recapture the grim, grimy magic wrought by the 1974 horror classic. But the next entry in the series, which arrives on Netflix in February, borrows a page from the current Halloween films by billing itself as a direct sequel to Tobe Hooper’s original. It will also introduce a new kind of prey for Leatherface (Mark Burnham) and his cannibal family: hipsters!

Those dominos include, of course, young city folk, including Castle Rock’s Elsie Fisher, who cross paths with Texas Chainsaw’s backwoods killers, still lurking after 50 years. “I think the first movie really hit a nerve when portraying that culture clash between the countryside and the city. Back in the ‘70s, the hippies were representing the youth of the city,” Álvarez said. “This time, they’re more like millennial hipsters from Austin who are very entrepreneurial and have a dream of getting away from the city and back to the countryside. They’re trying to gentrify small-town America—and let’s just say they encounter some pushback.”

View attachment 944
    We have a trailer
    View: https://youtu.be/j0livad7FbU

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks
    I'm thrilled at the fact that it's the same Leatherface from the original. I hope that the producers saw this as a true reboot because the last couple of outings were subpar and inconsistent. Only thing I'm upset about is how long we will have to wait, Feb is too far. I need to get into Hellbound, hopefully it can hold me over until February.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    I'm thrilled at the fact that it's the same Leatherface from the original. I hope that the producers saw this as a true reboot because the last couple of outings were subpar and inconsistent. Only thing I'm upset about is how long we will have to wait, Feb is too far. I need to get into Hellbound, hopefully it can hold me over until February.
    Texas 2003 was my fave. I can’t wait for this to come in February. 2022 is looking good already. We have Scream in January and TCM in february. Halloween Ends in October

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Texas 2003 was my fave. I can’t wait for this to come in February. 2022 is looking good already. We have Scream in January and TCM in february. Halloween Ends in October
    I liked R. Lee Ermey in the role as the Sheriff that was a good surprise for me. What I didn’t like is how they changed the story in the beginning to justify them going to the farmhouse. I’m not that fond when remakes take too much liberty like that. This is a sidebar but that new nigga in the last mortal kombat movie pissed me off. But back to the point TCM 2003 was so gorey.

Banks

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Horror films these days, just don't cut it for me these days. Then again, I rarely get scared watching horror films, but I wouldn't mind to get a good scare once in a while. I know there are some good horror films that come out every year, but it feels like it's less and less each year. Or maybe I'm just use to horror films these days being mediocre. Also horror films from the 60-90s where always way creepier. Even the cover art was creepier. Maybe it was the art style of the time.

What is some good horror that you've watched recently that gave you a scare?

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think the slasher films are worn out. Although it was funny, I saw Jason beat a woman against a tree in a sleeping bag and I knew they were running out of ways to kill and be entertaining. Freddy and his funky glove never scared me. Michael Meyers is a big strong slasher and nothing is scary except the jump scares and his mask showing up in the background.

Ways to kill people is still fresh. Saw has delivered on capturing a horror flick. Remember the girl in the needle pit?

Mysterious animals like "The Relic" was done very well. Try watching that one.

View: https://youtu.be/JDn8P57-l9o

Last edited:

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    No. You may need to expand your horror watch horizons. There’s a thread for this.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    No. You may need to expand your horror watch horizons. There’s a thread for this.
    Can you merge this into your thread. Sorry I didn't see it first.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Can you merge this into your thread. Sorry I didn't see it
    No problem. I’ll merge and post up a list of Recent/Newly Released Horror Movies.

I think at times, people who are not regular horror watchers may go into certain movies with higher expectations; or there have been a lot of movies with the same premise so the genre becomes overly saturated, tropes are repetitive, lastly- maybe desensitization as well lol. The more violence and graphic content that we watch- the more “normalized” and less shocking, lacks the intensity.

For me, I am getting extremely weary of zombie/undead movies. I wish there were more ghostly, paranormal/supernatural as opposed to zombies - enough is enough with the walking dead, running dead, army of the dead- that sub genre needs to die for a minute.

Peak era horror for me were the early to mid 2000s. Because the content was more fresh, inspired and original. These days, nearly everything is a remake, reboot, reimagining, retelling - but there are still gems out there. Sometimes it works, other times it may not. As mentioned- expanding horizons into movies made by specific producers or production companies, independent creators, rather than “what’s trending” or popular offers new perspectives and insight.

Last edited: