Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

The Definitive Horror Movie and Series Thread

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
Tither
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
No problem. I’ll merge and post up a list of Recent/Newly Released Horror Movies.

I think at times, people who are not regular horror watchers may go into certain movies with higher expectations; or there have been a lot of movies with the same premise so the genre becomes overly saturated, tropes are repetitive, lastly- maybe desensitization as well lol. The more violence and graphic content that we watch- the more “normalized” and less shocking, lacks the intensity.

For me, I am getting extremely weary of zombie/undead movies. I wish there were more ghostly, paranormal/supernatural as opposed to zombies - enough is enough with the walking dead, running dead, army of the dead- that sub genre needs to die for a minute.

Peak era horror for me were the early to mid 2000s. Because the content was more fresh, inspired and original. These days, nearly everything is a remake, reboot, reimagining, retelling - but there are still gems out there. Sometimes it works, other times it may not. As mentioned- expanding horizons into movies made by specific producers or production companies, independent creators, rather than “what’s trending” or popular offers new perspectives and insight.
Poltergeist type films to me are how you view zombies. I like detective/clue/puzzle death flicks.

Here's the full move: Cube

Creepy and crazy deaths

View: https://youtu.be/J9fc6bW_oH0

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Maybe it is just me but they have never really been that great, to begin with. I would much rather watch older ones though. The newer ones are too oversaturated with CGI and corny effects. Loaded with plotholes as well. Some of the mainstream ones that have been in theatres even have bad acting. Like they don't even try.

Banks

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I think the slasher films are worn out. Although it was funny, I saw Jason beat a woman against a tree in a sleeping bag and I knew they were running out of ways to kill and be entertaining. Freddy and his funky glove never scared me. Michael Meyers is a big strong slasher and nothing is scary except the jump scares and his mask showing up in the background.

Ways to kill people is still fresh. Saw has delivered on capturing a horror flick. Remember the girl in the needle pit?

Mysterious animals like "The Relic" was done very well. Try watching that one.

View: https://youtu.be/JDn8P57-l9o
Yeah I agree about slasher films. There's just played out these days and it's all been done for the most part. I'll have to check that one out.
Here's a very good one if you haven't seen it. It's Korean.

View: https://youtu.be/vN-oldoxPyY
I saw The Host, but had no idea they made a sequel. Really enjoyed the first film a lot, was ahead of its time at release I think.
No. You may need to expand your horror watch horizons. There’s a thread for this.
Nice, I'll have to check that topic out for some suggestions as well. Thanks! :)
No problem. I’ll merge and post up a list of Recent/Newly Released Horror Movies.

I think at times, people who are not regular horror watchers may go into certain movies with higher expectations; or there have been a lot of movies with the same premise so the genre becomes overly saturated, tropes are repetitive, lastly- maybe desensitization as well lol. The more violence and graphic content that we watch- the more “normalized” and less shocking, lacks the intensity.

For me, I am getting extremely weary of zombie/undead movies. I wish there were more ghostly, paranormal/supernatural as opposed to zombies - enough is enough with the walking dead, running dead, army of the dead- that sub genre needs to die for a minute.

Peak era horror for me were the early to mid 2000s. Because the content was more fresh, inspired and original. These days, nearly everything is a remake, reboot, reimagining, retelling - but there are still gems out there. Sometimes it works, other times it may not. As mentioned- expanding horizons into movies made by specific producers or production companies, independent creators, rather than “what’s trending” or popular offers new perspectives and insight.
Zombie movies have been played out as well. It's like one genre becomes popular for a decade or so and then it kinds dies down. I think it's shows like The Walking Dead that are starting to cause fatigue in the genre. It's just the same old stuff. But I really love the 28 Days movie, because it actually made zombies scary. The way they scream, chase you down, and all that, was just so intense when I first saw it.

But yeah, the zombie genre has become stale because they haven't done anything new to innovate.

Poltergeist type films to me are how you view zombies. I like detective/clue/puzzle death flicks.

Here's the full move: Cube

Creepy and crazy deaths

View: https://youtu.be/J9fc6bW_oH0
Heard about this one, but have yet to check it out. Heard it has a cult following for it as well. I'll have to check it out one of these days for sure.

Maybe it is just me but they have never really been that great, to begin with. I would much rather watch older ones though. The newer ones are too oversaturated with CGI and corny effects. Loaded with plotholes as well. Some of the mainstream ones that have been in theatres even have bad acting. Like they don't even try.
I think there are a lot of bad horror movies coming out these days. I think for the most part, it's because a lot of them are paint by number style of horror movies that hollywood throws out there in the hopes of getting unsuspecting horror fans to tune in.

CGI can be done good, but often it takes me out of a movie, because sometimes you can tell when something is CGI compared to real. I like when movies do practical effects. But CGI can be done right, it's just that the directors in charge don't know how to implement it properly or they hire novice people to take on the CGI work.

DaBeast

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
The new Chucky show was fairly decent, and it made me wonder what other classic horror movies should try to jump to TV. I know Scream had its own show on MTV a while back, but I wasn't too into the Scream franchise. Anyway, it's clear that these horror movies can work as TV show, so what would you like to see next?

I was going to say Halloween, but that doesn't really fit imo, unless the season revolves around that day or week leading up to it.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin

After an average ticket to theaters – grossing $ 26.2 million worldwide – the horror ‘Pray for Us’ made its first streaming on HBO Max.

The film suffered great controversy when it debuted for showing a false prophet posing as Mary, leading some religious people to accuse the film of blasphemy without watching it and understanding what it is. ‘acted.

The plot follows Alice, a hearing-impaired young woman who, after an alleged visit from the Virgin Mary, inexplicably manages to hear and heal people. As the story becomes known and more and more devotees travel to witness its miracles, a decaying journalist (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), hoping to revive his career, travels to the small town of Nova Scotia. -England to investigate. When terrifying events start to happen, he begins to wonder if these phenomena are the work of the Virgin Mary or something sinister.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
View: https://youtu.be/vik0kdPIxF8

1639707401290.jpeg
Jan 28th
Netflix has released an eerie teaser trailer for their upcoming tongue-in-cheek msyetery-thriller series “The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window”. Catchy name, right? The 8-episode limited series, which stars Kristen Bell (“Frozen”, “Frozen 2”), will arrive on January 28th. Michael Ealy, Mary Holland, Samsara Yett, Shelley Hennig, Cameron Britton, Christina Anthony, Tom Riley and Benjamin Levy Aguilar also star in the show.

The series follows heartbroken Anna (Bell) for whom every day is the same. She sits with her wine, staring out the window, watching life go by without her. But when a handsome neighbor (Riley) and his adorable daughter (Yett) move in across the street, Anna starts to see a light at the end of the tunnel. That is until she witnesses a gruesome murder… Or did she?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Late Halloween entry. Omar Epps has a horror movie on Hulu titled “Trick”- it was actually good. Trailer:

View: https://youtu.be/kX87UogsuuE

On Halloween night in 2015, Patrick `Trick' Weaver massacred his classmates at a costume party. After being arrested, he managed to escape police custody, but not before being shot five times by Detective Mike Denver. Everyone believes Trick must be dead, but when a masked killer reappears the following Halloween, and every Halloween after that, they realise the nightmare is not over.
Release date: October 18, 2019 (USA)
Director: Patrick Lussier
Starring: Omar Epps
This movie looks so familiar.

Victorystatus

Smell my cologne...
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Do you consider get out to be horror?
No, but Jordan did attempt to reach across genre's with the hypnosis and lucid dreams, I'll say Psycho-Thriller at best, there was now gore or supernatural kill scene's like The Saw, Halloween or Hellraiser series.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
Many people worry they might die then go to hell yet wake up in hell each day.
This is true. But I think it’s more fear of the finite unknown place vs knowing the personal hell that one may live through each day, which certain people are accustomed to.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
I’ve been watching horror movies since I was like 6-7 years old. This is STILL me every night after watching a horror movie - after all this time. Living by yourself after watching scary series or movies is not a game and I’m an expert watcher but still find myself shook asf . 😆

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
The new Chucky show was fairly decent, and it made me wonder what other classic horror movies should try to jump to TV. I know Scream had its own show on MTV a while back, but I wasn't too into the Scream franchise. Anyway, it's clear that these horror movies can work as TV show, so what would you like to see next?

I was going to say Halloween, but that doesn't really fit imo, unless the season revolves around that day or week leading up to it.
The Craft would be a good candidate for an updated series. Based off the original:
View: https://youtu.be/SxEqB--5ToI

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
Tither
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
way different than that bullshit i watched last night.
View: https://youtu.be/U3Xy2x9NDrw

that's the second time I've been tricked by a damn trailer talking about "innovative thriller" and "Edge of your seat..."
the other one was Lamb
I would have burned every house, one by one, until the end.
The judge would have sentenced me to 6,000 years in prison.
usher laugh

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
Tither
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
This series is lit

“See” takes place in the distant future, after a deadly virus decimated humankind. Those who survived emerged blind. Jason Momoa stars as Baba Voss — the father of twins born centuries later with the mythic ability to see — who must protect his tribe against a powerful yet desperate queen who wants the twins destroyed. Alfre Woodard stars as Paris, Baba Voss’s spiritual leader.
1640718143399.jpeg

Heatice

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Half Black
Origin
Canada
This series is lit

“See” takes place in the distant future, after a deadly virus decimated humankind. Those who survived emerged blind. Jason Momoa stars as Baba Voss — the father of twins born centuries later with the mythic ability to see — who must protect his tribe against a powerful yet desperate queen who wants the twins destroyed. Alfre Woodard stars as Paris, Baba Voss’s spiritual leader.
View attachment 1213
I watched all the episodes of SEE without taking my eyes off it. I don't think any other actor would have done justice to the movie the way Baba Vosa did in it. I was completely impressed. I think they are already developing another new season right?

leah.B1

Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
Africa
I have been on a psychological thriller kick as of the last 5 years it seems and I've seen so many good ones and so many bad ones. I just finished Se7en and that one honestly wasn't bad. It was graphic and messed up though. A movie with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman acting as detectives on a case with a Seven deadly sins serial killer.

Another good one is The Prestige with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. They are magicians who basically try to perfect their acts but jealously gets in the way and well.. twists happens.

Another one that was craaaaaaazy is called Jacob's Ladder. Geez louise, talk about messing with your mind.. It stars Michael Ealy and Jesse Williams. To me that movie had some predictable twists and some surprising. I guess its different in the eyes of the beholder.

The last one I'll mention is called The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. That one honestly was just jacked up lol. This guy gets a card from his brother that basically puts you in a real life game but little did he know his life would be turned upside down, inside out, right side up within a matter of a couple days, yet there's a kick 👀.

D

Deleted member 1475

Anyone plan on seeing Smile tonight? My wife and I are thinking about seeing it tomorrow, apparently there were some actresses at a few Baseball games who just sat still and smiled at the cameras to promote the movie. I've seen the trailer when I seen Nope, looks good!
Looks pretty good. I like the upside down camera angles. I thought it was going to be like that Truth or Dare movie, with the creepy smiles but this looks even creepier. Instead of editing the looks of the smiles, they just have the actors doing it naturally, which is why I think it looks scarier, someone randomly smiling at you with no creepy filter is more unsettling for for me. Might watch it.

Salty_Sura

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Other
Origin
USA
anyone see that Vivarium movie? How do you think that would've worked with a black cast?

I loved this movie. It reminded me of another film, We've Forgotten More Than We Ever Knew. Both movies take place in a reality different from our own, but in our world. They are more poetic than realistic. Vivarium to me was about societal expectations versus reality. One of those films you're supposed to think about. I can see why people wouldn't want to think about it though.

If they were black, lol, I think they wouldn't have gone to Yonder in the first place. As soon as they met that guy in the real estate office they would've left. Especially since the houses were ugly anyway.

This series is lit

This sounds good