The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

The HBCU Thread

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is one of my favorite HBCU traditions.

I was in marching band at a White predominant school and whenever we would play the Black predominant schools the marching bands would make us look silly.

I remember one day we walked up to battle Compton's band and them niggas crip walked on us while playing. I was like:

cmblankstare

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is one of my favorite HBCU traditions.

I was in marching band at a White predominant school and whenever we would play the Black predominant schools the marching bands would make us look silly.

I remember one day we walked up to battle Compton's band and them niggas crip walked on us while playing. I was like:

cmblankstare

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I wish I could find the exact stat and article but around 1970, about 40 percent of blacks in the NFL came from HBCUs. What was so amazing about the stat was that HBCUs weren't in the bowl and ranking system of the NCAA. Many were too small to be Division 1 ranking but would have tore up the NCAA Division II and Division III playoffs. NFL scouts came to all the games because that was where the best talent was.

Integration killed that. The best players wanted to go to LSU instead of Southern. Same in basketball, they wanted to go Georgetown instead of Howard. Had the HBCUs maintained getting the best black talent instead of them going to PWIs, the larger HBCUs would be in the ranking system.

You know what would have kept the black talent there?

A code.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    What the predominantly white universities can't duplicate as a selling point is the atmosphere at an HBCU.

If you are a 17 year old recruit and you see hundreds of young black people. Beautiful sistas, solid brothers. All positive, the energy, the culture. The mothaeffen culture...no PWI can give you that. It's a fantastic selling point.

I didn't go to an HBCU (which I regret) but there was one 20 miles away and we (me and the homies) would go there just to be around 'us'.

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Meanwhile, at Hampton U...

Did you hear that switch to an African beat? The drum is so healing, it's in your DNA, you have no choice but to respond :)

I'm not a member, but this is an awesome way to advertise HBCUs , as well as entertain ... I remember as a youth, I wanted to go to a school just bc they had a black couch ... I hope HBCUs can use this tool effectively ...

I didn't go to an HBCU either, but I also regret not going (damn Howard took to long to get back to me, I was already enrolled in the pwi) ... I too, would just go to the campus just to soak in the atmosphere..

D

Deleted member 1946

Let's discuss all things HBCU in this thread; from sports, to academics, to alumni life.
    Share your stories from your days at school, or let us know if you're currently a student.
    Rep your school!
    I wanted to go back to school for my master's degree at an HBCU. I don't think it would be worth my time now because I see many other platforms online. Since I have my own business, I don't need a master's in business. I do love seeing our people going to an HBCU and having an overall positive experience.

D

Deleted member 1946

Did you hear that switch to an African beat? The drum is so healing, it's in your DNA, you have no choice but to respond :)

I'm not a member, but this is an awesome way to advertise HBCUs , as well as entertain ... I remember as a youth, I wanted to go to a school just bc they had a black couch ... I hope HBCUs can use this tool effectively ...

I didn't go to an HBCU either, but I also regret not going (damn Howard took to long to get back to me, I was already enrolled in the pwi) ... I too, would just go to the campus just to soak in the atmosphere..
    A certain beat gets me pumped up and ready to go to war. Energy is real whether good or bad.

D

Deleted member 1946

What the predominantly white universities can't duplicate as a selling point is the atmosphere at an HBCU.

If you are a 17 year old recruit and you see hundreds of young black people. Beautiful sistas, solid brothers. All positive, the energy, the culture. The mothaeffen culture...no PWI can give you that. It's a fantastic selling point.

I didn't go to an HBCU (which I regret) but there was one 20 miles away and we (me and the homies) would go there just to be around 'us'.
    I fully agree. But as many of our B1 folks have said... They have Black gatekeepers at many of these HBCUs. Prime Time exposed that at JSU. I enjoyed seeing Prime Time help sell out the stadium in Jackson, MS which was something that hadn't been done in a long time. I wish all HBCU stadiums would be filled or close to being filled. That would help increase the HBCU enrollment even more.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I'm not saying the school doesn't need to do better and all that but you knew before you took the job that HBCUs are in dire straights. Deal with it and stop putting business on the street.

Then don't take the job then. Let someone else. It's going to take a long time to turn around decades of corruption, incompetence and non pro black actions.

I'm happy he apologized later.

D

Deleted member 191

HBCUs, their alumni and their "cheer" section need to seriously start doing some soul searching.....

I know white kids go to these schools and play for these teams. My issue is THIS white player could have stayed OFF the radar and let him hold his own nuts.

And singing it in a song as it's being alleged is the context of him saying it, for me, doesn't change anything.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    A lot of these stories of non black people invited in and prospering in HBCUs or HBCUs making obvious bad decisions (firing Reed) comes down to one thing. Poor leadership almost across the board. The leadership seems to have zero social and economic connection to the black masses. To fix the HBCUs we must 'fix' the leadership by getting rid of them.

As problematic as he is if you gave me a choice between Dr. Umar Johnson and the present presidents of Coppin State or Bethune Cookman or even Jackson State I'd take Dr. Umar without batting an eye.