The Thunderdome

Everything about your favorite sports and teams.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

The University of Colorado Boulder officially named Deion Sanders as head coach of its football program on Saturday.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    So embarrassing. He was never about Black schools becoming self sufficient he was out for self.
    I don’t think that was true as he was giving 25% of salary to improve JSU’s program. I think he’s getting a bigger bag and moving to an organization with bigger pockets. Some of his staff at JSU was masking $20k.

D

Deleted member 191

I look at it like this:

He used his position to get quality recruits to JSU.

He donated a portion of his salary to improve the facilities for the program.

He helped counsel and advise his athletes on NIL deals they may never have gotten otherwise.

And with this move to the Pac12, he's helping members of his staff earn a larger salary than what they were making at JSU.

Now I'm not a fan of him behaving like he was trying to be an ambassador for HBCUs but he brought attention to a program that was dead and built a culture there that they can continue to build on.

In my opinion, HBCU administrations and the wealthy alumni they love to gloat about need to put in work for their schools. Prime did his part to get them up and running, it's time for the rest of them to do theirs.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I look at it like this:

He helped counsel and advise his athletes on NIL deals they may never have gotten otherwise.

And with this move to the Pac12, he's helping members of his staff earn a larger salary than what they were making at JSU.

Now I'm not a fan of him behaving like he was trying to be an ambassador for HBCUs but he brought attention to a program that was dead and built a culture there that they can continue to build on.

In my opinion, HBCU administrations and the wealthy alumni they love to gloat about need to put in work for their schools. Prime did his part to get them up and running, it's time for the rest of them to do theirs.
    totally agree.

I been to JSU many times. They have mismanaged money, dysfunctional, and selfish old head mentality. Just a couple of years ago, their multimedia department was still using 20yr old equipment. Nothing in there to help paying students prepare for the real world.

For some reason, they don't understand the logic if they create more successful graduates, which will make more money, then they would probably give back more money.

Here's what really trips me out, most of the people that's "outraged" would've left and took that bag too. And rightfully so. Get your money. We shouldn't be loyal to an employer. But the people should be thankful for what he did do, congratulate him and build upon it.

And I didn't forget within the first two weeks he was in Jackson, his truck was broken into. - Deion Sanders robbed in Jackson, Miss., says he wants boombox back.

And I never forget his stuff was stolen from his office during a game and after he blasted them at the press conference. It all of a sudden reappeared, because of sloppy management and security at the stadium. JSU want the best but not doing what it takes to be the best. -

I said the whole time he only took that job to get his weight up and prove he's a great coach. And I see nothing wrong with that. And it's just unfortunate he has to go to a white school to get the salary he deserves and a decent facility and college management.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Colorado?? What is it about them that made Deion wanna go there? It couldn't be the money, so what is it?
    opportunity. like JSU, it's a stepping stone. If he's successful there, maybe it'll lead to a NFL coaching position.

Trillfate

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    opportunity. like JSU, it's a stepping stone. If he's successful there, maybe it'll lead to a NFL coaching position.
    I don't follow college ball like that but you're telling me there's not a better gig out there than Colorado? That just seem like any ol school

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I don't follow college ball like that but you're telling me there's not a better gig out there than Colorado? That just seem like any ol school
    me either, who knows?? idk. If a bigger school is already successful, they wouldn't be hiring for a new coach, right? lol. Apparently, this school had a need for a head coach and he went for it.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I look at it like this:

Good point but damn so soon. He didn’t really give it time to mature. But maybe JSU didn’t back him like he needed so he’s bouncing.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Yooooo they didn’t even have matching jerseys, gear, or cleats before Deion?

Kill Me Smh GIF

There was no way they were going to keep Coach Prime if that’s the mentality of the administration.

D

Deleted member 191

Trillfate

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yooooo they didn’t even have matching jerseys, gear, or cleats before Deion?

Kill Me Smh GIF

There was no way they were going to keep Coach Prime if that’s the mentality of the administration.
    No doubt they were down bad but I'm OK with him using Jackson as a stepping stone if he made a huge leap afterwards. We all kinda figured deion would leave sooner than later, I'm just really disappointed with where he went and why.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    me either, who knows?? idk. If a bigger school is already successful, they wouldn't be hiring for a new coach, right? lol. Apparently, this school had a need for a head coach and he went for it.
    Colorado is a bad job, with a bottom dwelling athletic program, but sadly, its still a step up in resources from Jackson State. Whatever success he has there will be in spite of all the pitfalls of a bad administration, and besides that--racism. Colorado racism is a bit different from Mississippi racism. Prime's tell it like it is approach will certainly rankle the crusties and stick up the butts that dominate that area. He'll do just well enough to show his worth then bounce to a better opportunity......also..... we know the trick bag with HBCU's...there is the perception and then there is the reality....

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    No doubt they were down bad but I'm OK with him using Jackson as a stepping stone if he made a huge leap afterwards. We all kinda figured deion would leave sooner than later, I'm just really disappointed with where he went and why.
    That part. I can't hate on Coach Prime for getting paid, but Colorado?

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Here's the list of college football head coach openings. And from looking at some of the coaches he competed against.. I understand Colorado. But if he can turn it around as fast as JSU, he won't be there long.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I liked the optics of him at Jackson but I don’t know his reality at Jackson. So while I don’t like the CO move I don’t really know to what extent Deion had to go to make JSU even salvageable let alone contenders. May be too much friction for him and he wants a place that supports athletics. But I disagree with you i don’t like him using it as a stepping stone if they were doing right by him. We need to be the destination not the step into PWI.

Here's the list of college football head coach openings. And from looking at some of the coaches he competed against.. I understand Colorado. But if he can turn it around as fast as JSU, he won't be there long.
    There’s going to be a bunch of people ready to point fingers at him if it doesn’t work out. From the outside in it looks like he got on and left a Sista for a Becky.

D

Deleted member 191

He won't be. He's trying to get to the NFL and the fastest track is to go to a "poverty program" (for those not hip, that's just the new slang for a program that literally isn't competitive or dominant and hasn't been for sometime. Not literally impoverished) and turning it around. CU ain't been relevant since I was in grade school so if he can get them to challenge for the Pac 12 championship (if there even is a Pac 12 to speak of by then), he'll be in the NFL coaching cornerbacks in the next 3-5 years.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

i doubt the conversations went like that. every player at that level been playing ball since they could walk, and they're trying to go pro by any means necessary. I'm sure they chose JSU because of coach Sanders talent to develop them as players and connection to the NFL. Nothing more. I think too many people brought into the marketing.

D

Deleted member 191

i doubt the conversations went like that. every player at that level been playing ball since they could walk, and they're trying to go pro by any means necessary. I'm sure they chose JSU because of coach Sanders talent to develop them as players and connection to the NFL. Nothing more. I think too many people brought into the marketing.
    Exactly. People are just being emotional. He changed the culture and made them believe in themselves. Deion "picked them" yknow? So I'm not without compassion for the situation. If I'm JSU though, I'm already coming up with brilliant ass marketing to keep, maintain and evolve the energy Prime brought to the program.

Marketing/Recruiting Department should be all over this already like:

"Come to Jackson State. Home of the SWAC champion Tigers. And the FIRST COLLEGE ANYWHERE to give the Legendary Deion "PrimeTime" Sanders his first college head coaching opportunity. The culture he built and the championship legacy he left us with will remain..... YOU just need to ask YOURSELF......Are YOU SWAC?"

But when you in your feelings, it's hard to see a way through in the moment.

Supabrett

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This one of those situations where black people gonna cry about something they really don't care or know about.

He got corporations to put more money into all hbcu's.

He got walmart to build JSU a practice facility when they had a muddy field when he got there.

Hbcu sports are unquestionably in a better position than when he got there.

If you not gonna go to any games or download that HBCU sports app to watch them next season, you're just talking

josiah starr

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    Supporter
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Deion did what I expected him to do. He wasn't trying to hide it either....his goal was to leave since day one. I don't fault him or Jackson State. I fault WS, because racism is about controlling resources or lack there of. This was all to be expected. FACT: As Black Americans, we are a non-competitive group in this society. Now the question becomes...what do we DO ABOUT IT? When we get to the DOING part....we fold like a lawn chair.

Jackson State couldn't afford to pay for his raising value. That's a Black economy problem. It's OUR responsibility to fix that problem....not to pocket watch black celebrities and attempt to spend their money for them.

Ppl can't expect our black assets to stick around on the homeboy discount...all the dang time. Especially when EVERYBODY in the Black Community THROWS there money at high dollar White Companies, then log onto on Instagram/Facebook to floss and show off..... If we're going to sacifice....then let's set AN AGENDA and sacifice. If we are going to enforce a conduct of conduct....you better be ready to show receipts.

We presently have no code of conduct, and we have no group economy. This Deion situation illustrates that fact clearly.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    He won't be. He's trying to get to the NFL and the fastest track is to go to a "poverty program" (for those not hip, that's just the new slang for a program that literally isn't competitive or dominant and hasn't been for sometime. Not literally impoverished) and turning it around. CU ain't been relevant since I was in grade school so if he can get them to challenge for the Pac 12 championship (if there even is a Pac 12 to speak of by then), he'll be in the NFL coaching cornerbacks in the next 3-5 years.
    abest cornerback of his era and he has to audition for an NFL job... smh
    Deion did what I expected him to do. He wasn't trying to hide it either....his goal was to leave since day one. I don't fault him or Jackson State. I fault WS, because racism is about controlling resources or lack there of. This was all to be expected. FACT: As Black Americans, we are a non-competitive group in this society. Now the question becomes...what do we DO ABOUT IT? When we get to the DOING part....we fold like a lawn chair.

Jackson State couldn't afford to pay for his raising value. That's a Black economy problem. It's OUR responsibility to fix that problem....not to pocket watch black celebrities and attempt to spend their money for them.

Ppl can't expect our black assets to stick around on the homeboy discount...all the dang time. Especially when EVERYBODY in the Black Community THROWS there money at high dollar White Companies, then log onto on Instagram/Facebook to floss and show off..... If we're going to sacifice....then let's set AN AGENDA and sacifice. If we are going to enforce a conduct of conduct....you better be ready to show receipts.

We presently have no code of conduct, and we have no group economy. This Deion situation illustrates that fact clearly.
    for Deion to even spend 3 years there was a huge deal. It created a wave and folks gravitated to HBCU's in way we haven't seen in the internet era. I don't know what people were expecting. Sanders found a program to spotlight his coaching talents and his sons' playing skills. For him to stay longer, JSU was gonna hafta sweeten the pot. Eddie George is coaching up in Tennessee and the SWAC still has some coaches and at least there is still a buzz around HBCU's. Its up to them to capitalize on that....as well as change the perception that its become a haven for culture vultrue's, tethers, and Ukraine refugees. When I think about how Howard been treating Black students, its hard to feel guilty about tricking my money off at a PWI

cjg

Senior Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This one of those situations where black people gonna cry about something they really don't care or know about.

He got corporations to put more money into all hbcu's.

He got walmart to build JSU a practice facility when they had a muddy field when he got there.

Hbcu sports are unquestionably in a better position than when he got there.

If you not gonna go to any games or download that HBCU sports app to watch them next season, you're just talking
    Well said. When it all comes down to it, point at yourself and ask how your are supporting and of you are playing your part. Although I'd like to see him stay and continue to build, there was a lot of good ... Ppl weren't looking at HBCUs as much before him ...

D

Deleted member 191

abest cornerback of his era and he has to audition for an NFL job... smh
    Him being great at the job as a player doesn't automatically mean he could have showed up and said give me an NFL coaching job with no evidence that he would be good at it. Deion understands that and it's why he's making his moves like he is right now. He's won at the FCS level now he's going to win at the FBS level and eventually he'll put that on display at the NFL level.

Great Players have proven across multiple sports that their prowess in the game doesn't translate to success as a coach.

D

Deleted member 191

Well said. When it all comes down to it, point at yourself and ask how your are supporting and of you are playing your part. Although I'd like to see him stay and continue to build, there was a lot of good ... Ppl weren't looking at HBCUs as much before him ...
    Exactly! They wanted him to sign his whole life away when he most DEFINITELY left JSU in a better state than what he found it.

OTR

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    ............ hummm . View attachment 5509 🌐
    Did he leave too soon...maybe but he put a spotlight on Jackson State Tigers and all the HBCU Colleges. He won at Jackson State...he did his job well. They robbed him and the other coaches were hating. It's time to go and get the bag. You would too if you were in his position. He inspires young impressionable black kids in a positive way and his influence is undeniable.

D

Deleted member 191

Chiefs offense coordinator should had been head coach of Colorado
    I didn't think that was allowed during the NFL season like that. I could be wrong though. And I mean I get it Bieniemy is an alum but.....he's also smack dab in the middle of another deep run and possible Super Bowl with the Chiefs. Additionally, Recruiting is the life blood of a college football program so by the time he would have even arrived, it would have been far too late to actually make any real head-way for trying to build something.

But yeah, I don't think that would have been a terrible hire. Although, Bieniemy has never been a head coach before IIRC.

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I didn't think that was allowed during the NFL season like that. I could be wrong though. And I mean I get it Bieniemy is an alum but.....he's also smack dab in the middle of another deep run and possible Super Bowl with the Chiefs. Additionally, Recruiting is the life blood of a college football program so by the time he would have even arrived, it would have been far too late to actually make any real head-way for trying to build something.

But yeah, I don't think that would have been a terrible hire. Although, Bieniemy has never been a head coach before IIRC.
    The NFL allow coordinates to interview college head coaching position.

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I know they do, but I'm talking about in the middle of the season? I thought there was a time frame like it had to be 2 weeks or a week before the regular season ended. I didn't know it could be just any time they felt like.
    They even do it in the middle of the season

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Him being great at the job as a player doesn't automatically mean he could have showed up and said give me an NFL coaching job with no evidence that he would be good at it. Deion understands that and it's why he's making his moves like he is right now. He's won at the FCS level now he's going to win at the FBS level and eventually he'll put that on display at the NFL level.

Great Players have proven across multiple sports that their prowess in the game doesn't translate to success as a coach.
    All things being equal, yes, but look at the Head Coach for the Colts....Being a HOF at your position should at least get you a phone call to be a position coach. He did what he had to do. He's damn near coached at every level now as the HNIC. He'll be aight

D

Deleted member 191

All things being equal, yes, but look at the Head Coach for the Colts....Being a HOF at your position should at least get you a phone call to be a position coach. He did what he had to do. He's damn near coached at every level now as the HNIC. He'll be aight
    meh....the Colts situation is an exception. That's not the rule. I hear what you're saying, though and I still believe Deion is taking the steps that is common for coaches seeking advancement through the ranks.