The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Universal Basic Income a bad idea?

Banks

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Remember when that Andrew Yang ran for president back in 2020? One of his promises was to give all Americans a universal basic income of $1000 a month. He of course didn't get elected and his idea didn't come to light. But, with the recent inflation and possible recession, do you think it would be a good idea to give all Americans a universal basic income? Or will it just result in more people not working?

I'm all for a little extra money. For me $1000 wouldn't go very far, but hell, I'd take it. I could use it for food, bills, or even just spending money. I have a fairly good job, so I don't really need it. But I could then save that $1000 per month, and then invest that into other things. But I could see a lot of people deciding not to work because of it.

What country was it that tried universal income? I think it was Norway. I heard that experiment didn't work out so well, as it resulted in some people half-assing it at work or outright quitting their job.

What do you think about Universal Basic Income of $1000 a month? Do you think it'll result in abuse? Will it help or hurt?

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
This is my view or change in that. The boomer generation has effed it up for all future generations. From 18 to 28, ten years or maybe 18-30, you get free college, all the way to PhD if you wish at any state school, any technical school, or licenses, etc plus 2k a month. After ten years at 28 or maybe at 30, it stops. You had 10 or 12 years to get your sh*t together. After that, its your productive years to give back in your great job, career, business, whatever in the tax revenue from what you are into. This also helps pays for the ones behind you.

You have 30 years to build up your retirement money. Things happen. So, at 60 till death, you get 2k a month again. On a side note, I think ALL FBAs shouldn't have to pay federal taxes (part of the reparations deal) and any FBA living in a state that fought on the side of the Confederacy, no state taxes. Only property taxes (that pays for schools).

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    With the way the economy is, this likely would make things worse. They messed up and have been messing up for years so making money easier to come by will just make the cost of living go up, the taxes go up, and make it even harder for people to buy houses.

I don't know what the solution is for any of this but we can't keep printing money, handing out money, and making money a second thought. We have already seen the buying power of the dollar drop dramatically in just the last 2 years, but over the last 50 it has really been declining. People just weren't paying attention or didn't care.

I feel like we need to focus on stabilizing jobs, allowing more people to open businesses and not penalizing them for it, and empowering black communities to get off welfare. We will not see any changes depending on the government to do everything for us. They will just continue to control our lives.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    With the way the economy is, this likely would make things worse. They messed up and have been messing up for years so making money easier to come by will just make the cost of living go up, the taxes go up, and make it even harder for people to buy houses.

I don't know what the solution is for any of this but we can't keep printing money, handing out money, and making money a second thought. We have already seen the buying power of the dollar drop dramatically in just the last 2 years, but over the last 50 it has really been declining. People just weren't paying attention or didn't care.

I feel like we need to focus on stabilizing jobs, allowing more people to open businesses and not penalizing them for it, and empowering black communities to get off welfare. We will not see any changes depending on the government to do everything for us. They will just continue to control our lives.
    If UBI was provided, it would destroy the jobs-based economy. Why? Because for it to be effective it should be able to supply a "basic" lifestyle e.g. "clothes once a year, a small apartment, groceries, etc". Right now, in order to afford a basic lifestyle, most working-class people are either having to work multiple jobs or cohabitate with others.

When you provide an alternative to this 40 hour grunt work then everyone is going to switch over. But what's worse is that our jobs are mostly service based which are low paying so companies would have to raise wages to afford employees. The ones that do not have enough margin to increase wage expense would die off.

A Starbucks would be able to survive but a more exploitative venture like Uber or Door Dash would die.

Stan Zero

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    As much as I like the idea of free money, it's not really free. It needs to come from somewhere, and we are already struggling with crippling debts in this country. It would help for a while I'm sure, but who's to say people will work? And who's to say it will help anything. I could see people quitting their job just to live off of that. I know people who can do it.

Exactly, I think this would only hurt the economy and on top of all that, many people will decide to stay at home and not work. $1000 a month isn't a lot to live off of, but I could see many people quitting their job and living off $1000 a month.

Stabilization of jobs is a must, if anything we need more jobs. I would love to open my own business, but wouldn't even know where to begin.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    If UBI was provided, it would destroy the jobs-based economy. Why? Because for it to be effective it should be able to supply a "basic" lifestyle e.g. "clothes once a year, a small apartment, groceries, etc". Right now, in order to afford a basic lifestyle, most working-class people are either having to work multiple jobs or cohabitate with others.

When you provide an alternative to this 40 hour grunt work then everyone is going to switch over. But what's worse is that our jobs are mostly service based which are low paying so companies would have to raise wages to afford employees. The ones that do not have enough margin to increase wage expense would die off.

A Starbucks would be able to survive but a more exploitative venture like Uber or Door Dash would die.
    I like the concept of providing the basics but you are spot on, it would destroy so much. Then you have people screaming for wages to be even across the board. Why would anyone want to be a doctor or work any other stressful job when they can make the same amount doing way less? I feel like labor workers should be paid more but according to the labor. Stocking shelves is not hard labor but working in a factor is (plus the health risks). I think if people were more honest and we viewed everything through a commonsense lens, the workers who deserve to be paid more would be getting paid more...

But we have another problem. The economy is in a bad way so even if companies wanted to pay more, thanks to inflation, they very likely won't or can't. We also have companies laying people off now. We went from them being desperate for workers to firing people. Something has got to give.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Exactly, I think this would only hurt the economy and on top of all that, many people will decide to stay at home and not work. $1000 a month isn't a lot to live off of, but I could see many people quitting their job and living off $1000 a month.

Stabilization of jobs is a must, if anything we need more jobs. I would love to open my own business, but wouldn't even know where to begin.
    I don't even think lack of jobs is the problem, it is a lack of purpose. Too many people work in jobs they hate that aren't going anywhere so they don't have any drive or desire to actually work. I see it all over the place. Fastfood joints, Walmart, etc. where workers are just doing the bare minimum to get the paycheck knowing they won't be fired cause no one else wants to do those jobs. Smaller businesses often offer better environments, opportunities, and give a sense of purpose but more often than not, they can't pay as much as the big corporations.

Harbinger

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm against universal basic income since it would discourage hard work. When people know their basic needs are met by this system, people are not as likely to be enthusiastic about working hard. In other words, it creates laziness.
    What a capitalistic viewpoint to have. UBI would actually increase innovation because our best and brightest minds wouldn’t have to slave away for a corporation 40 hours a week just to live They’ll be able to use those e0 hours to pursue what intereats them and we as a society will benefit. The people that would be lazy with UBI are lazy now in a job based system. UBI does not breed laziness, it stops people from hitting rock bottom due to a layoff.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is my view or change in that. The boomer generation has effed it up for all future generations. From 18 to 28, ten years or maybe 18-30, you get free college, all the way to PhD if you wish at any state school, any technical school, or licenses, etc plus 2k a month. After ten years at 28 or maybe at 30, it stops. You had 10 or 12 years to get your sh*t together. After that, its your productive years to give back in your great job, career, business, whatever in the tax revenue from what you are into. This also helps pays for the ones behind you.

You have 30 years to build up your retirement money. Things happen. So, at 60 till death, you get 2k a month again. On a side note, I think ALL FBAs shouldn't have to pay federal taxes (part of the reparations deal) and any FBA living in a state that fought on the side of the Confederacy, no state taxes. Only property taxes (that pays for schools).
    This actually sounds very good.

E

educatedman23

What a capitalistic viewpoint to have. UBI would actually increase innovation because our best and brightest minds wouldn’t have to slave away for a corporation 40 hours a week just to live They’ll be able to im use those e0 hours to pursue what intereats them and we as a society will benefit. The people that would be lazy with UBI are lazy now in a job based system. UBI does not breed laziness, it stops people from hitting rock bottom due to a layoff.
    I'm doing well and don't want to lose my position in society. I don't agree with your assessment of UBI at all. If UBI was truly beneficial for us, they wouldn't be wanting to implement it.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I think its very doable. America is the biggest economy in the world. Put it this way, they can afford reparations of 20 trillion right? Why can't they afford UBI?

We spent about 20 trillion fighting two unwinnable wars. We have the money, we just don't use it correctly. My proposal would be a UBI from 18 to 28. You have 10 years to get your shit together. Free tuition for college up to as far as you can go, including PhD. With 2k a month. If you still need help after that kind of start, f*ck you. lol...

Then roughly 30 years of production out of you to pay back in taxes and production as whatever back to society. At 60, 2k a month for life in addition to whatever you make. I would cap it on a net worth of 3 million and under. But that's me.

That proposal is far less costly and in my humble opinion fairer and to some extents eliminates those who just want stay home and smoke weed forever. In addition to UBI, Medicare for all.

The defense budget is 800 billion. We have roughly 800 bases, installations, etc, all over the world. Do we really need 25,000 military personnel in South Korea? We spend more than the next 7 or 8 countries, COMBINED and most of them are allies. We could cut that in half right there.

Heatice

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    Canada
    Funny enough the system will never support Universal Basic Income strategy because it's one way that ensures that people get what they deserve and not get screwed at on the long run by the system for one reason or another. Yes, I know for a fact that there some people that's going to trick the system to take advantage but it's because it's who they are.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I'd love to know one major thing (Social Security, Medicare / Medicaid, AFDC, etc) that is pristine and hasn't been gained by the system? The good thing is it can be done as right as possible beforehand to guard against it and like anything else (changes done to food stamps for example) tweaked whenever gaps are found.

Here is one good thing about UBI in whatever form? It helps the local economy. Almost all the money is used locally.

Harbinger

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm doing well and don't want to lose my position in society. I don't agree with your assessment of UBI at all. If UBI was truly beneficial for us, they wouldn't be wanting to implement it.
    The powers that be don’t want to implement it but jobs aren’t working for too much of the population and so UBI becomes a must to stop an uprising.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    The powers that be don’t want to implement it but jobs aren’t working for too much of the population and so UBI becomes a must to stop an uprising.
    I think we'll see this happen after the next economic crash. My guess is? The government knows its going to have to do it at some point. Why? They effed up the future generations, Gen Y and Gen Z know the boomers effed up their future. Left them with a 20 + trillion dollar debt while living high on the hog.

Harbinger

Senior Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think we'll see this happen after the next economic crash. My guess is? The government knows its going to have to do it at some point. Why? They effed up the future generations, Gen Y and Gen Z know the boomers effed up their future. Left them with a 20 + trillion dollar debt while living high on the hog.
    I agree. The bottom is falling out of the system due to COL increasing but wages remaining stagnant. The old system of “get a job to live” is dying an agonizing death. In 60 years we went from being able to find ONE job, be able to afford a house and car, work there your whole life, and get a pension to working multiple jobs, layoffs, and a stock market attached retirement plan. The scam is over.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    How about paying people a living wage, controlling these damn out of control rent, housing, and gas prices, getting rid of Citizens United, rolling back that 2017 trillion tax scam bill that Trump and his admin swiftly passed, and taxing these damn corrupt corporations and Elon Musk and nem? And giving Foundational Black Americans our criminally long overdue cash reparations?

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    How about paying people a living wage, controlling these damn out of control rent, housing, and gas prices, getting rid of Citizens United, rolling back that 2017 trillion tax scam bill that Trump and his admin swiftly passed, and taxing these damn corrupt corporations and Elon Musk and nem? And giving Foundational Black Americans our criminally long overdue cash reparations?
    It’s common sense but White people would rather let this country burn in hell then be on an even playing field with Black people.

DaBeast

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think I am kinda for a universal income, because the way things are going, it's going to get even worse. Prices increasing everywhere, and pay not following it. I know it in turn could result in lazy people abusing it, but I know that it will ease some problems for a lot of the working class, because then they won't have to always bust their ass just to make it every week.

Yes exactly this. It's insane how bad it is. Wages for the most part haven't gone up by much, yet everything else is increasing in price and continues to do so. And the sad truth, is that it will probably continue to get worse to the point where politicians will have to put out a bill to curb the pricing on housing. I know there is affordable living options out there, but not everyone can qualify for that.

It's just a total mess these days.

Baba Lekan

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    I think UBI needs to be accompanied by a federal job guarantee. You gotta work for benefits in some shape or form unless you're retired or on disability. That way people can remain productive until they find something better or invest in another career venture and so people don't bitch about freeloaders getting free money.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think UBI needs to be accompanied by a federal job guarantee. You gotta work for benefits in some shape or form unless you're retired or on disability. That way people can remain productive until they find something better or invest in another career venture and so people don't bitch about freeloaders getting free money.
    This would be the optimal way to go about it. Take the Conservation Corps idea and evolve it to a Work Corps where the labor is used for the greater good. In return, members will be given a paycheck for their basic necessities. The only issue with it is that it doesn't allow people to be productive in the manner that they wish. What if we were taking 40 hours of week for the guy that can cure cancer? What if we paid him or her the UBI while they did their own form of productivity?

Baba Lekan

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    This would be the optimal way to go about it. Take the Conservation Corps idea and evolve it to a Work Corps where the labor is used for the greater good. In return, members will be given a paycheck for their basic necessities. The only issue with it is that it doesn't allow people to be productive in the manner that they wish. What if we were taking 40 hours of week for the guy that can cure cancer? What if we paid him or her the UBI while they did their own form of productivity?
    I think part-time hours should be negotiable if that were to happen. In that event you have time to find a better job if need be. You would hope the average person would have a little more ambition than to perpetually work a low level govt job in order to eat.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think part-time hours should be negotiable if that were to happen. In that event you have time to find a better job if need be. You would hope the average person would have a little more ambition than to perpetually work a low level govt job in order to eat.
    But what if you were creating the job? What if the idea didn’t even exist yet? That’s my whole point. UBI will bring about innovation and give the innovators of tomorrow the ability to create without having to worry about paying their bills. Their creations could yield much more productivity than the 40 hours a week mandated by some government org. So a work corps is a great idea but it will not always yield the most productivity. If it was 20 hours a week then I can see it working well.

Baba Lekan

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    But what if you were creating the job? What if the idea didn’t even exist yet? That’s my whole point. UBI will bring about innovation and give the innovators of tomorrow the ability to create without having to worry about paying their bills. Their creations could yield much more productivity than the 40 hours a week mandated by some government org. So a work corps is a great idea but it will not always yield the most productivity. If it was 20 hours a week then I can see it working well.
    That's why I said part-time should be negotiable. There are entrepreneurs and creators that do what you're saying all the time with part time jobs just like there thos that do those things with no job or primary source of income at all. Those people are in the minority though. There are a lot more people that are just sitting at home being unproductive while living off unemployment simply because it's a better business decision.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That's why I said part-time should be negotiable. There are entrepreneurs and creators that do what you're saying all the time with part time jobs just like there thos that do those things with no job or primary source of income at all. Those people are in the minority though. There are a lot more people that are just sitting at home being unproductive while living off unemployment simply because it's a better business decision.
    We’re always going to have those people though don’t you agree? UBI won’t turn a productive person into an unproductive person. But it will stop unproductive people from resulting to crime in order to live.

E

educatedman23

As much as I like the idea of free money, it's not really free. It needs to come from somewhere, and we are already struggling with crippling debts in this country. It would help for a while I'm sure, but who's to say people will work? And who's to say it will help anything. I could see people quitting their job just to live off of that. I know people who can do it.

This is what I think.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Interesting. How exactly can the government guarantee a job for everyone? The little I remember from Economics 101 class is no country, even the most successful ones ever had 0 unemployment and according to economists, 0 unemployment isn't actually good. I'm repeating what I think I heard. There is also the matter of job satisfaction and people intangible of creating a class that just does a basic job to keep it and society loses on possible doctors, engineers, etc.

Anyway....

E

educatedman23

Interesting. How exactly can the government guarantee a job for everyone? The little I remember from Economics 101 class is no country, even the most successful ones ever had 0 unemployment and according to economists, 0 unemployment isn't actually good. I'm repeating what I think I heard. There is also the matter of job satisfaction and people intangible of creating a class that just does a basic job to keep it and society loses on possible doctors, engineers, etc.

Anyway....
    Agree. There will always be unemployment anyways since some people do not want to work.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Anyway....
    That’s the biggest issue to me. When you give the nation’s innovators busy work thus giving them less time for more productive endeavors.