Blrd

Anime, Comic Books, Super Heroes, it all goes down here!

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Using security cams/Ring Doorbell to keep watch of property

Real One

Sixer
zBucks
So I was thinking about getting one of those ring doorbells with the camera on it, just so I can see whoever it is that comes to my door. And I also want it so that I can catch potential porch pirates, as package theft has been increasing in my area. Aside from adding a ring doorbell, I was also considering adding a couple security style cameras around my home. Nothing major, maybe two others just so I can keep an eye around all of my house.

Anyway, does anyone here do this? I want to be ready in case anything goes down, and with the rise of theft I figure it'd be a good way to stay safe.

zBucks
I'm hesitant to use these, but with how things are going these days, it can't hurt to have some sort of security cameras. I may consider it one of these days myself, but I'm in no hurry.

I will only use it if the recordings are stored on my network. If it’s going to the cloud that everybody and they mama got access to it.
Same. The cloud options are nice and all, but I don't trust the security of them enough. If I can just use a simple camera connected somewhere in my home, I'll be good.

Bahni.Klyde.Reacts

Sixer
Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I will only use it if the recordings are stored on my network. If it’s going to the cloud that everybody and they mama got access to it.
    Unfortunately they go to cloud. We use the service. The best upside to it all is there’s no rental/equipment fees once purchased, monthly subscription is likely the cheapest around and pending on device style it has a number of positioning angles.

Bahni.Klyde.Reacts

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm hesitant to use these, but with how things are going these days, it can't hurt to have some sort of security cameras. I may consider it one of these days myself, but I'm in no hurry.

Same. The cloud options are nice and all, but I don't trust the security of them enough. If I can just use a simple camera connected somewhere in my home, I'll be good.
    As you mentioned, but here’s the proof..

Article:
    Amazon finally admits giving cops Ring doorbell data without user consent

Letter:

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Unfortunately they go to cloud. We use the service. The best upside to it all is there’s no rental/equipment fees once purchased, monthly subscription is likely the cheapest around and pending on device style it has a number of positioning angles.
    There are some that hook up to your home network and will save on a network attached storage.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Ring and other companies spy on you. Do not sign contracts or use their software/hardware.

You want to get something set-up yourself. Have it function off a PC and keep the data saved for so many days. My uncle has a system set up (going to be doing it for my mom and dad soon) that saves 7 days worth of video footage and then clears it out or ports it to external saves. The main cameras (front door and back door) run without any wifi, he has them wired and the PC that saves all the data is in one of his closets. If the internet goes out, he still has the two main cameras functioning. He also has a power bank that will start up if the power trips so the PC never goes off and I think it allows for up to 5 hours of power.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    There was one company that got busted recently by that Linus Tech Tips company up in Canada. I can't remember the name of the company but they were not only selling private data but they were pushing video feed to a public server so ANYONE could be watching your cameras. That is just too damn creepy for me. I will stick to using a gun and a dog for my security.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    There was one company that got busted recently by that Linus Tech Tips company up in Canada. I can't remember the name of the company but they were not only selling private data but they were pushing video feed to a public server so ANYONE could be watching your cameras. That is just too damn creepy for me. I will stick to using a gun and a dog for my security.
    I like what my husband has done with our property. We a Rings, floodlights & motion sensors.
    As soon as it's dusk, all the lights activate. But when we open our doors, the flood & motion lights ramp up to super bright & the range is magnificent, because our front & backyards are very large.
    We also have Apollo & our arsenal, of course. 😁

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I like what my husband has done with our property. We have Rings, floodlights & motion sensors. I also like the fact that out phones alert us when there's activity on our property, front & back. We can even view activity on his Mom's property.
    As soon as it's dusk, all the lights activate. But when we open our doors, the flood & motion lights ramp up to super bright & the range is magnificent, because our front & backyards are very large.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I like what my husband has done with our property. We a Rings, floodlights & motion sensors.
    I want to get a set-up that functions on my wifi network where it will run offline 100% and just function on my private IP behind a password. There are ways to set it up where I can remote into it from my phone as well. I am looking into my options.