The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Ways to get involved in bettering your community?

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I think the best approach to solving issues starts in the small, more localized areas. Obviously, you want to get your crap together in your own home but once you got things squared off, what is the next move? I want to work on improving my community. Ensure things stay clean and maintained, crime doesn't get higher, and so on. What are some approaches to doing this so I can get an idea?

Jball

Registered
zBucks
Actually I struggled with that too in my previous neighbourhood, we as a community decided together to look after our near by places by gathering money for the repairing of parks, replacing old dustbins, organising community events, raising money for charity, meeting and greeting to each other with respect, collecting food for homeless and many other things.

zBucks
That's awesome that you guys are getting out there to help. I wish I did more of this myself. I haven't done a lot in my community. I mean, I kinda blame that on covid, but I could help in other ways I'm sure.

I'm thinking about helping a bit more once covid goes away. I have asthma and am high risk for covid and even though I'm vaccinated, I don't want to take the chance right now. Once this all blows over, I will for sure try to help my community in any way I can.

D

Deleted member 1946

1. Know your neighbors
  2. Have influence
  3. Create goals and rally people around the goal
Absolutely we should know our neighbors. I agree we need to have influence. This should be done in our area of experise. We should advocate for whatever we are knowledgeable about that will get us somewhere. Our goals should be realistic. We need SMARTER goals. I use this acronym a lot. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-Bound, Evaluate, and Reward.

D

Deleted member 1946

I think the best approach to solving issues starts in the small, more localized areas. Obviously, you want to get your crap together in your own home but once you got things squared off, what is the next move? I want to work on improving my community. Ensure things stay clean and maintained, crime doesn't get higher, and so on. What are some approaches to doing this so I can get an idea?
Agree. How can you help somebody but you don't help yourself?

D

Deleted member 1946

Actually I struggled with that too in my previous neighbourhood, we as a community decided together to look after our near by places by gathering money for the repairing of parks, replacing old dustbins, organising community events, raising money for charity, meeting and greeting to each other with respect, collecting food for homeless and many other things.
I see many parks that used to look so good but have fallen into ruins. It is an eye sore.