The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

What's Happening In Portland?

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
Tither
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Blackgravity

I know this just isn't your spot. My city has the same thing. There is whole communities springing up around the rivers and in the public parks.
They are sensitive to illegal aliens being poor but they never care about American citizens.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCWzMUkflwo

zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I used to live in Eugene Oregon. The homeless situation is BAD there. Tent cities, people begging at almost every major intersection… I was surprised. What was really surprising was that these homeless people were 99% white. Those begging were white.

Read the history of how Oregon was formed, eye opening. It’s not the progressive place people think it is. It’s a lot more racist than people know…

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
Tither
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I used to live in Eugene Oregon. The homeless situation is BAD there. Tent cities, people begging at almost every major intersection… I was surprised. What was really surprising was that these homeless people were 99% white. Those begging were white.

Read the history of how Oregon was formed, eye opening. It’s not the progressive place people think it is. It’s a lot more racist than people know…
Them white girls from Oregon loved brothas from my experience. I stayed in Coos Bay years ago (around 1986) and had a great time.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black

Man there were some parts of Eugene i did not walk through after dark.....looked like ambush scenarios

zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Man there were some parts of Eugene i did not walk through after dark.....looked like ambush scenarios
Yeah. The black population in Eugene was less than 1% when I lived there from 2012 to 2018. You could go weeks without seeing another black person. More blacks lived in Springfield because Eugene had an ordinance on the books until the 1940s that blacks couldn’t live there…

Last edited:
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
Them white girls from Oregon loved brothas from my experience. I stayed in Coos Bay years ago (around 1986) and had a great time.
Yeah some were transplants, some actually from there. But there were places in Oregon I wouldn’t go at night. The black population of the whole state was 6% when I lived there. Most of them lived in Portland. In reality Oregon is the twin of Alabama only with less blacks. In fact Oregon was established as a White Utopia… wild…

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Yeah. The black population in Eugene was less than 1% when I lived there from 2012 to 2018. You could go weeks without seeing another black person. More blacks lived in Springfield because Eugene had an ordina on the books until the 1940s that blacks couldn’t live there…
the meth vibe is heavy there too. It only seemed to get worse by the year. I first visited there in 04 and by the time I moved there in 2010, it was already sketchy....epecially in certain parts of the west where I lived. even downtown could throw me for a loop if I wasn't ready to see some crazy ish

zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
BRUH....

If a 25-32 year old, curly headed handsome dude with my nose sats I'm the PAPPY???

We gotta go take a TEST.

Rex Lawrence

Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

Oregon was very racist during it's founding, and has long been known for skinheads.

The homeless whites problem is exploding, only now they call for mercy and support. They even have legal injection sites where we live.

Bruh Man

Senior Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
That’s don’t mean jack shit though just cuz the fetishize you for what they think you packing don’t mean they fuck with you. Some parts of Oregon feel like West Virginia.

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
Community Host
Tither
App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yea it's bad here, the pattern I've seen was when they started gentrification the crime and homelessness went through the roof. They can't blame Black people because we are less than 1% of the population in the whole state, probably even less in Portland.
    A ton of meth heads and drug addicts in my city and ,a large portion of them are not native to this state. a lot come from our neighboring states, especially California (northern).

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

you were either in school or messing with someone in school, nxxas don't go to Eugene just to be going, same with Coos Bay

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Yea it's bad here, the pattern I've seen was when they started gentrification the crime and homelessness went through the roof. They can't blame Black people because we are less than 1% of the population in the whole state, probably even less in Portland.
    A ton of meth heads and drug addicts in my city and ,a large portion of them are not native to this state. a lot come from our neighboring states, especially California (northern).
    Portland used to be cracking back when I first started visiting in the early 2000's. Then all the Californians started moving there

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    you were either in school or messing with someone in school, nggas don't go to Eugene just to be going, same with Coos Bay
    Actually my girlfriend who was a CNA (and black) was there and I relocated to be with her, got married, had a child, relocated to ATL, divorced... That's the abbreviated version...

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That’s don’t mean jack ish though just cuz the fetishize you for what they think you packing don’t mean they f**k with you. Some parts of Oregon feel like West Virginia.
    I believe you. There were a group of girls that took us to Oregon for a holiday and they were not shy🥴

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Actually my girlfriend who was a CNA (and black) was there and I relocated to be with her, got married, had a child, relocated to ATL, divorced... That's the abbreviated version...
    I know you felt lonely out there, I used to shoot out there every now an then back in the 80's

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Lonely, isolated, and scared if I thought about it long enough…
    Eugene used to be a legit Sundown Town ,still is in a sense. The thing about Portland racist, they aren't bold, they will punk out if you press them, unless they out number you 4 to 1 or something like that. I've delt with them my whole life and over the years I've never had one who really wanted to try me or anyone I know.
    in the 80's when the Blood's and Crips pretty much ran Portland the skinheads were a big thing down here even before real Gang's formed here, after the B's and C's emerged (Thanks L.A.) the skinheads pretty much vanished, after a few run in's with some certified nxxas they left the field.

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Drugs, culture, no funding for repair or education... It all factors in. Most cities will turn to ish in time, they all do but they make sure to protect a small spot of those cities for the rich white people who want the city experience without the drugs, crime, ect.
    Portland's main problem are the Transplant's ,we have been flooded with people from outside of our state coming here because our city is so laid back. Add the gentrification on top of that and you get a city overrun with homelessness and drug addicts. Every city has a skid row, and ours was regulated to our downtown, you would hardly see any homeless outside of downtown.
    Homeless is everywhere now, even in some of our upper class neighborhoods.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Portland's main problem are the Transplant's ,we have been flooded with people from outside of our state coming here because our city is so laid back. Add the gentrification on top of that and you get a city overrun with homelessness and drug addicts. Every city has a skid row, and ours was regulated to our downtown, you would hardly see any homeless outside of downtown.
    Homeless is everywhere now, even in some of our upper class neighborhoods.
    Yeah I did hear about this. Like the homeless issue in Cali is the worst in the country but considering Portland and the general area gets colder temps and snow, homeless people aren't flocking there for the weather.

There is a conspiracy thing going on with drugs being sold to Mexico from China to be pushed through the border. They target certain cities. It would not surprise me if this were true. Drug use and addiction have escalated across the board in just the last 10 years.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You must have been a turkey induced coma. I ain’t seen you in a minute.
    It hasn't been that long. The legal aspect of setting up a business is hard. I have never set up a business before and the terms and conditions are a real pain. I have legal counsel but reading all of this stuff has to be worth it. A family member told me to start up in another country were it could be easier. I opted for the good USA and I'm drowning in paperwork. I read more about law than creating good code. I'm overwhelmed but I am still swimming!

shannoncigar

I hope you and everyone on the board had a great holiday season!
    *Balling up my fists*
    2022 is coming and I'm ready!

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It hasn't been that long. The legal aspect of setting up a business is hard. I have never set up a business before and the terms and conditions are a real pain. I have legal counsel but reading all of this stuff has to be worth it. A family member told me to start up in another country were it could be easier. I opted for the good USA and I'm drowning in paperwork. I read more about law than creating good code. I'm overwhelmed but I am still swimming!

shannoncigar

I hope you and everyone on the board had a great holiday season!
    *Balling up my fists*
    2022 is coming and I'm ready!
    Are you trying to establish a partnership or something or you working through a complex operating agreement? Because filing a Corporation or LLC in itself ain't tough but when you have multiple interest then it gets sticky.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Are you trying to establish a partnership or something or you working through a complex operating agreement? Because filing a Corporation or LLC in itself ain't tough but when you have multiple interest then it gets sticky.
    Yes, I'm starting a straight C-Corp. As you already know I am with open source 100% but I feel that I could benefit by an opensource license that I create to better serve the company AND the developers that see value in our software. So, the ins and outs are the real meat and potatoes.
    Studying what constitutes a derived work is one thing that can be tricky because if I design something that can ONLY work with the Linux kernel, and the facilities that my program uses are dependent on certain inter-op capabilities of the kernel, can the courts classify it as a "derived work" or is it not? Some things have NOT even been decided by the courts yet and that is scary.
    But I am stubborn and I will continue.
    blackmancigar

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yes, I'm starting a straight C-Corp. As you already know I am with open source 100% but I feel that I could benefit by an opensource license that I create to better serve the company AND the developers that see value in our software. So, the ins and outs are the real meat and potatoes.
    Studying what constitutes a derived work is one thing that can be tricky because if I design something that can ONLY work with the Linux kernel, and the facilities that my program uses are dependent on certain inter-op capabilities of the kernel, can the courts classify it as a "derived work" or is it not? Some things have NOT even been decided by the courts yet and that is scary.
    But I am stubborn and I will continue.
    blackmancigar
    Oh I see, so it’s more on the IP side of things would you say? You want to make sure your legal game is tight before you release so that someone can’t scoop your work out from right up under you.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Oh I see, so it’s more on the IP side of things would you say? You want to make sure your legal game is tight before you release so that someone can’t scoop your work out from right up under you.
    Yes, but more on merging two different licenses is the problem. In the open source community, everyone is watching. Getting a bad name by not being completely open source will kill you instantly. There are gatekeepers even in a free and open source world.

Ubuntu got caught up and they have never fully recovered:

It's a tight rope but understanding that "rope" will get your farther. Audacity is another open source program that took a big his in recent years. They have since backed down.

I'm trying everything to make a good first impression and I believe we will be successful in 2022.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yes, but more on merging two different licenses is the problem. In the open source community, everyone is watching. Getting a bad name by not being completely open source will kill you instantly. There are gatekeepers even in a free and open source world.
    Maaaaaaaaan a couple Content Management Systems I used to use back in the days got jammed up like that, perpetrating. MamboServer was one that got bought and the new owner felt there were parts of the software that were "trade secrets"...they fell faster than a ton of bricks. Some of the staff left, made a fork named Joomla and the rest was history. Joomla is now the #3 CMS behind Drupal and Wordpress, Mambo is a Capterra competitor...totally out the CMS game. It was crazy how them trying to close off parts of the software was met with the most intense outrage I've seen in the PHP community.

mjlol

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Maaaaaaaaan a couple Content Management Systems I used to use back in the days got jammed up like that, perpetrating. MamboServer was one that got bought and the new owner felt there were parts of the software that were "trade secrets"...they fell faster than a ton of bricks. Some of the staff left, made a fork named Joomla and the rest was history. Joomla is now the #3 CMS behind Drupal and Wordpress, Mambo is a Capterra competitor...totally out the CMS game. It was crazy how them trying to close off parts of the software was met with the most intense outrage I've seen in the PHP community.

mjlol
    I love Joomla and actually use it for my main site. My other family member is hung up on WordPress. Both great!
    In the open source world there are a lot of voices, from puritans to liberals and everything in between.
    BSD is still the best! Even Apple uses a BSD license for some of its licensing.
    laughingblackguy

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I love Joomla and actually use it for my main site. My other family member is hung up on WordPress. Both great!
    In the open source world there are a lot of voices, from puritans to liberals and everything in between.
    BSD is still the best! Even Apple uses a BSD license for some of its licensing.
    laughingblackguy
    I love Joomla too, the Blog here is the first time I've ever used WordPress. It is a lot more streamlined than Joomla, easy to set up and get a blog looking as it should. I feel like Joomla requires you to have a deep understanding of markup and at least some coding knowledge. I remember about maybe 10 years ago I tried to make an e-commerce site on WordPress and I had to use duck tape and string at so many points that I scrapped the project and started over with Joomla. I never touched Wordpress again until like 2 weeks ago and its interesting, the first time I actually like it is when I'm making a Blog. I wouldn't touch this software for nothing else.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I love Joomla too, the Blog here is the first time I've ever used WordPress. It is a lot more streamlined than Joomla, easy to set up and get a blog looking as it should. I feel like Joomla requires you to have a deep understanding of markup and at least some coding knowledge. I remember about maybe 10 years ago I tried to make an e-commerce site on WordPress and I had to use duck tape and string at so many points that I scrapped the project and started over with Joomla. I never touched Wordpress again until like 2 weeks ago and its interesting, the first time I actually like it is when I'm making a Blog. I wouldn't touch this software for nothing else.
    That is the mystery to me. How could software "click" with some people and not others. I'd like to learn at a much deeper level on how humans see a software solution and become relaxed with it. I'm sure psychology and personality has weight but I want to reproduce that synaptic signature for most of my products.
    In the earlier years, FaceBook was being mocked because they wouldn't let users customize the page, like they could in MySpace. Then people went in droves to FB, so personalization didn't hold the key and that caught MS by surprise.
    The mystery still exist...

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That is the mystery to me. How could software "click" with some people and not others. I'd like to learn at a much deeper level on how humans see a software solution and become relaxed with it. I'm sure psychology and personality has weight but I want to reproduce that synaptic signature for most of my products.
    In the earlier years, FaceBook was being mocked because they wouldn't let users customize the page, like they could in MySpace. Then people went in droves to FB, so personalization didn't hold the key and that caught MS by surprise.
    The mystery still exist...
    It’s not a mystery it just proof why you both need designers and engineers. An engineer will make the car, the designer makes it look cool and adds leather seats for comfort.

UX is one of the most important aspects of any software application. When going from MySpace to Facebook you lost customization but gained in UX because you didn’t have to worry about autoplaying music, bad markup crashing your browser, etc.

Engineers are very binary…does it work? Yes or no. A designer is going to look at it from the perspective of “does it work well?”, “how many clicks does it take to function?” “How does it feel?” “How does it look” and those are intangibles when it comes to creation of software. Because it relates to the human interaction with your software and not the code itself.

Technology is not just utilitarian, it’s emotional too and that’s why so many get it wrong. I don’t like Drupal not because of capabilities but because it is boring to look at. There’s no passion in the design and that’s a turn off to me.

This is why Apple is insanely successful because they start with the Design and then go to the Engineers. Many others let Engineering inform the design and that’s when you get ugly ass products.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It’s not a mystery it just proof why you both need designers and engineers. An engineer will make the car, the designer makes it look cool and adds leather seats for comfort.

UX is one of the most important aspects of any software application. When going from MySpace to Facebook you lost customization but gained in UX because you didn’t have to worry about autoplaying music, bad markup crashing your browser, etc.

Engineers are very binary…does it work? Yes or no. A designer is going to look at it from the perspective of “does it work well?”, “how many clicks does it take to function?” “How does it feel?” “How does it look” and those are intangibles when it comes to creation of software. Because it relates to the human interaction with your software and not the code itself.

Technology is not just utilitarian, it’s emotional too and that’s why so many get it wrong. I don’t like Drupal not because of capabilities but because it is boring to look at. There’s no passion in the design and that’s a turn off to me.

This is why Apple is insanely successful because they start with the Design and then go to the Engineers. Many others let Engineering inform the design and that’s when you get ugly ass products.
    Nice, but the UX is still limited, right. Parsing and processing instructions and the manner in which it is done can become a big part of the UX. I understand that they can work together but that can be difficult and many ideas are left on the R&D floor and marked as unfeasible.

You noticed too that I didn't comment on Drupal either. I never liked them and even worse their stance on thought crimes

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Nice, but the UX is still limited, right. Parsing and processing instructions and the manner in which it is done can become a big part of the UX. I understand that they can work together but that can be difficult and many ideas are left on the R&D floor and marked as unfeasible.

You noticed too that I didn't comment on Drupal either. I never liked them and even worse their stance on thought crimes

Yeah that’s true but from a visionary standpoint you make the UX and have the engineers make it come to fruition. Sometimes you have to release in phases starting with an MVP but I’m a firm believer that UX trumps all. I’d rather happy customers and salty engineers than vice versa.