The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

When is Twerking Inappropriate?

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was watching Tariq last night and he had a good show about when twerking is inappropriate. I personally think that twerking is not appropriate in space other than your personal private space (home/hotel room), a strip club, or an urban dance club. It’s a sexual dance and nothing about it is empowering Black Women unless the empowerment they are seeking is to look like a ratchet hoe.

What happened to class? What happened to dignity, composure, and grace? I’m not saying that women need to fit a box that I define but at the same time as a man, I do have the right to state what I do and don’t like. Also, as a leader I have the right to dictate what is good and bad in the culture I’m apart of. Women that act like this feel liberated but it rarely leads to good outcomes.

If you want to start a family and be with a classy, respectable, and determined man…do you think he wants a woman who doesn’t know when to not pop her ass? Ciara, Normani, and Meg the Stallion twerking at that Italian event was textbook degenerate behavior.

eclipsed

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    I always thought this kind of dancing is meant for the club or like you said, in a private place. There is nothing wrong with sexualized dancing but there is a time and place for it and promoting it as something that should be celebrated everywhere is just tasteless. What is that old saying? A lady in the streets and a freak in the sheets? That is how it should be. Display that kind of behavior for your man in private but be classy in public. If you are acting like a hoe in public, regardless of if or not you are, you are going to be viewed as a hoe.

Mastamind

Master Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    If you're in an environment where there might be children it's definitely a no no. Another problem I have that's semi related is that tact and class being synonymous with being white. A lot of the discourse on this subject implies this and it annoys me to no end.

Lamont

Sixer
    zBucks
    If you're in an environment where there might be children it's definitely a no no. Another problem I have that's semi related is that tact and class being synonymous with being white. A lot of the discourse on this subject implies this and it annoys me to no end.
    Are you sure that this is an accurate assessment of the situation? Do you truly believe that the disdain for ass shaking is pandering to Anglo-Saxon sensibilities? Or could it simply be contempt for a salacious activity?

I can see how one can intellectually associate “not twerking” with whiteness much as some associate “talking proper” with whiteness but is it an epidemic in thought or merely a corner case given a spotlight?

My $0.02 is that twerking is a salacious activity to be confined to spaces where said activity is normalized e.g. strip club. The issue is that said salacious activity is attempting to be normalized in non-salacious spaces by the liberal media who use their feminist Black Women As a vehicle to further promote Black degeneracy.

This is why we do not see White women twerking being promoted in the media. It’s always one of these Black scoundrels popping their ass in the most mundane of establishments.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I always thought this kind of dancing is meant for the club or like you said, in a private place. There is nothing wrong with sexualized dancing but there is a time and place for it and promoting it as something that should be celebrated everywhere is just tasteless. What is that old saying? A lady in the streets and a freak in the sheets? That is how it should be. Display that kind of behavior for your man in private but be classy in public. If you are acting like a hoe in public, regardless of if or not you are, you are going to be viewed as a hoe.

Yes, if you act like a hoe and dress like a hoe don’t be made when you’re looked at as such. That’s what’s so distasteful about the situation, they want to act like hoes but when they are treated as such they say you’re being mysogynstic or anti-women. America’s favorite mammy, Lizzo had a ted talk and said twerking is in Black DNA. I was like lord help us.

snoopdisappointment

Nesut

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Totally how I feel about the situation too. Sexualized dancing is fine in certain environments and should not be normalized outside of those specific contexts. No one wants to see you shake your ass in a restaurant, on the deck of a cruise ship, at a library, and wherever else the rap music compels you. We need to reject hoe culture at all costs.

Mastamind

Master Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa
    Are you sure that this is an accurate assessment of the situation? Do you truly believe that the disdain for ass shaking is pandering to Anglo-Saxon sensibilities? Or could it simply be contempt for a salacious activity?

I can see how one can intellectually associate “not twerking” with whiteness much as some associate “talking proper” with whiteness but is it an epidemic in thought or merely a corner case given a spotlight?

My $0.02 is that twerking is a salacious activity to be confined to spaces where said activity is normalized e.g. strip club. The issue is that said salacious activity is attempting to be normalized in non-salacious spaces by the liberal media who use their feminist Black Women As a vehicle to further promote Black degeneracy.

This is why we do not see White women twerking being promoted in the media. It’s always one of these Black scoundrels popping their ass in the most mundane of establishments.

I agree with you 100 percent, there's just this notion that "we shouldn't care about what white people think" when there are many African American or Africans like myself that find this behavior abhorrent in the wrong situation.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Anyone see how Spring Break in Miami went down this year? I saw viral videos going around of a group of women in the middle of the damn street with their asses out twerking like a pack of animals in heat and people around them cheering it on. If you want to attract yourself an incapable partner who will leave you the second you get pregnant, this is the way to do it!

I have no issue with twerking in and of itself but don't do this in public spaces. Save it for the club or adult-only events.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Anyone see how Spring Break in Miami went down this year? I saw viral videos going around of a group of women in the middle of the damn street with their asses out twerking like a pack of animals in heat and people around them cheering it on. If you want to attract yourself an incapable partner who will leave you the second you get pregnant, this is the way to do it!

I have no issue with twerking in and of itself but don't do this in public spaces. Save it for the club or adult-only events.

they wanna act like hoes but then be shocked when no one wants to lock em down .

Banks

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I agree, it should stay in the club or at the bar or something. When it becomes mainstream and at award shows or other events, it just doesn't look classy. I don't mind me some twerking, but I think it's meant for all the music videos and in the privacy of a club or your own house.

I feel like twerking is starting to die out though. I just don't feel like it's happening as much anymore.

D

Deleted member 1946

I agree, it should stay in the club or at the bar or something. When it becomes mainstream and at award shows or other events, it just doesn't look classy. I don't mind me some twerking, but I think it's meant for all the music videos and in the privacy of a club or your own house.

I feel like twerking is starting to die out though. I just don't feel like it's happening as much anymore.
    I do agree because I don't see women twerking as much in person as I did years ago. I see it a lot online.