The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Who is going to celebrate Thanksgiving? Why or why not. I'm not because I don't believe in these holidays and making white folks rich.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is not a way to judge anyone. I thought it would be a good post to break the ice! I really wanted to see where my people are!
    We don’t celebrate the holiday per se but we use the day off to break bread with family and friends. Same thing with halloween, Christmas, and Easter…they’re all dumb holidays to me and to many in my family but we don’t let that stop us from getting together. I personally keep it real with my son and let him know “yo thanksgiving was the white man getting ready to commit one of the greatest heist in history next to stealing Africa…I’ll tell you the rest later pass those collards”.

Hungry New Girl GIF

sophebiz

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We don’t celebrate the holiday per se but we use the day off to break bread with family and friends. Same thing with halloween, Christmas, and Easter…they’re all dumb holidays to me and to many in my family but we don’t let that stop us from getting together. I personally keep it real with my son and let him know “yo thanksgiving was the white man getting ready to commit one of the greatest heist in history next to stealing Africa…I’ll tell you the rest later pass those collards”.

Hungry New Girl GIF
    Yeah, pass those collards!

sophebiz

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    My homeboy on Twitter shares the same sentiments that I do; I know that these holidays are corporate and/or pagan but I'm not going to be Buzz Killington...I'm eating
    You know black folks don't need a holiday to celebrate! That's what we do!

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    This is not a way to judge anyone. I thought it would be a good post to break the ice! I really wanted to see where my people are!
    Yes. My mom is making her candied yams and coconut pie, I’m ecstatic.
    My homeboy on Twitter shares the same sentiments that I do; I know that these holidays are corporate and/or pagan but I'm not going to be Buzz Killington...I'm eating
    When I first started becoming conscious I was that guy but I realized that it was a superficial strike so to speak. If I know my mind is not conquered then the celebration of the day is not an affront to my decolonization. In reality, it’s simply a day off that we can use to celebrate our family and that’s how I leverage it. Yes, bunnies don’t lay eggs but Easter egg hunts are fun for the kids.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Girl my family and I throw down you can smell the food next door. What we’ve been doing the past couple years since we stopped fighting was assign each of the family members a food item to cook and to bring over to maw maw’s house. We did it this way to not only get the best version of whatever dish but to also stop the wrong people from cooking the wrong dish. I have an uncle that does not clean his greens good and no one trusts him so we put him on the meats. I have baked Mac this year and I’m going to drop a 4 cheese baked Mac and make a side pan with crushed flamin hot Cheetos as a crust.

Buzz Killington sounds like a Star Trek character.

sophebiz

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Girl my family and I throw down you can smell the food next door. What we’ve been doing the past couple years since we stopped fighting was assign each of the family members a food item to cook and to bring over to maw maw’s house. We did it this way to not only get the best version of whatever dish but to also stop the wrong people from cooking the wrong dish. I have an uncle that does not clean his greens good and no one trusts him so we put him on the meats. I have baked Mac this year and I’m going to drop a 4 cheese baked Mac and make a side pan with crushed flamin hot Cheetos as a crust.

I make dressing that my town pays me for! My family throws down too! I love that name “Red Velvet”. I can make that too!

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Ok I need your baked Mac.

I make dressing that my town pays me for! My family throws down too! I love that name “Red Velvet”. I can make that too!
    I need a plate of your dressing.

Boss Hog

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We definitely do but we've switched it up recently to where we try new takes on old recipes. Last year we tried coconut milk collard greens which was a disaster. This year I got my smoker going and going to have ribs, chicken, and brisket going. My wife is making the sides, I don't know exactly what she has planned but I know she about to hit me with a list of shit to pick up tomorrow after work.

sophebiz

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    We definitely do but we've switched it up recently to where we try new takes on old recipes. Last year we tried coconut milk collard greens which was a disaster. This year I got my smoker going and going to have ribs, chicken, and brisket going. My wife is making the sides, I don't know exactly what she has planned but I know she about to hit me with a list of ish to pick up tomorrow after work.
    That's what's up! I love smoked meat but I've let go of pork. That brisket sounds SWEET!

Tati 304

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I havent but not for family reasons but because my family is so split that thanksgiving is just a small dinner at a bunch of different houses. There was a big fight a few years ago and people started choosing sides and we never recovered. Since I dont have kids I usually just kick it alone. When I have a family ill probably celebrate it again.

sophebiz

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I havent but not for family reasons but because my family is so split that thanksgiving is just a small dinner at a bunch of different houses. There was a big fight a few years ago and people started choosing sides and we never recovered. Since I dont have kids I usually just kick it alone. When I have a family ill probably celebrate it again.
    I’m sorry about your family! Do you have extended family?

sophebiz

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Thanksgiving has always been about family for me. My family got together every year and we all gathered around good food and good stories. I don't care where it originated from or how people want to use it to victimize themselves. This is a holiday for my family that has bonded us and that is why it matters to me. I won't let some snowflake white liberals take something else from me. That is all they do is ruin things for everyone else. I know in my family, we use it as a day to be thankful and grateful, coming together and sharing moments and memories with one another. If people want to not celebrate because of something that happened hundreds of years ago, that is their choice.

StuntingStreetProfessor

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin

Hungry New Girl GIF
    Everyone who works needs a break. Get it in where you can.

TheHarmattan

*nix Master
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I ain't mad at that. It looks great. Bean curd that tastes like chitterlings? When it comes to food it's different for me If they don't taste like the real deal then I don't extend any grace. I won't eat turkey bacon and imagine it tastes like real bacon.
    😎👌

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is me too. I keep my thoughts to myself also because my family is a bunch of democrat old negros.
    mjlolMy grandpa’s generation is like that. They were fierce fighters in their youth and would take it to white people in Mississippi but now they are calm and preach that put it in Jesus hands and vote kinda ish.

Nicole0646_718

Sixer
    Tither
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Celebrate National Native American Massacre Day?? NAH, Im good. Thankful to God that I’m aware enough to not follow white people propaganda racist programs and Blavity Brainwashing. Anyone using the “I don’t celebrate it but I’m using the day to be thankful” can gtfohwtbs.
    nialongupsetnbaplayerdisbeliefmjlol

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Celebrate National Native American Massacre Day?? NAH, Im good. Thankful to God that I’m aware enough to not follow white people propaganda racist programs and Blavity Brainwashing. Anyone using the “I don’t celebrate it but I’m using the day to be thankful” can gtfohwtbs.
    This is why you have a special place in our hearts and minds. 100% raw and uncut.
    I will be celebrating it listening to tomorrow's broadcast by TBA
    He’s doing a broadcast?
    I don't celebrate the holiday itself, because it's a bunch of BS, but I will refer to it as a way to get together with loved ones, because too many people are dying day to day. You just never know with life. It's indeed short.
    Facts bruh. People be dropping like flies so we should maximize the time.
    Yes, I definitely celebrate Thanksgiving. It’s a time to be with family. The real question is do we still value sitting at the table and discussing family politics or has that gone out of style.
    Yes. We need to keep those traditions and use these times as opportunities to educate. While society is pumping thanksgiving in our child’s minds we can use this day to counter program.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It is what it is. Your blackness should be stronger than a holiday.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That’s pure bullshyt. Wtf do European pagan ritualistic holidays have to do with blackness?? Please don’t quote me with that ignorance ever again on this site. Thanks!

Your “blackness” needs to be vetted for even writing this on a message board. Explain to me what a Thanksgiving holiday has to do with blackness?
    My job gives me the day off. My family also had the day off. Why not use it to get together. We don’t even talk about thanksgiving.