The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Who is the most powerful / influential Black person in America?

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
We can define power and influence in various ways. I would make it two questions.

1. The most powerful in terms of power in America period.
2. The most powerful in terms of sway among black people.

This may be the same person or it may not be. I have my own persons I think, but I will hear others first.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
Lloyd Austin.
I had to look him up, fmr (or is it current) head of the Department of Defense. I may be stating the obvious but what makes him the most powerful black person in America and I assume its the first one (among all America) because not many black people would know who he is.

ladytlw67

Sixer
Community Host
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
What comes to my mind as far as influential, would be our grass roots activists such as Marcel Dixon, the Real Black Media with Jason Black and Professor Black Truth. In regards to the most powerful Black person in America, that is a little more difficult for me to determine. I would have to think long and hard on that one.

Boss Hog

Master Sixer
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I’m going to go with the entertainer route and pick Jay Z and P. Diddy.

What comes to my mind as far as influential, would be our grass roots activists such as Marcel Dixon, the Real Black Media with Jason Black and Professor Black Truth. In regards to the most powerful Black person in America, that is a little more difficult for me to determine. I would have to think long and hard on that one.
great choice.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
Just to be clear (as well as playing devil's advocate to some extent), Jay Z and/or Diddy is who white folks will listen to about Black issues more than any other black person in America and/or could influence the black masses the most? For example, either said, lets have a march or rally somewhere. If either said support this candidate or that candidate or whatever?

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
For better or for worse, Oprah has a lot of pull and there is evidence she was part of a certain island that we will never know the truth about. I feel like black people hit a level of wealth and fall into white corruption.
Oprah got pull with most white liberals for sure and black women, but how much pull does she have with Black men? In most Black men's minds Oprah built her fortune in some part shitting on black men. That may or may not be true, but that is the belief. Argue otherwise and its on deaf ears.

I think Oprah could run for President and give anyone a good run for their money, but it would also come down to specific issues and what she says about it. Plattitudes are all well and good but there would have to be specifics.

That said, I think Oprah has to be in the conversation for most powerful Black person both within and outside the Black community. Is the most powerful though? That is still debatable.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
I absolutely hate saying this, but I'd have to say names like Oprah Winfrey, Beyoncé, Jay Z and Diddy. The amount of our people that look up to them and view them as goalposts of what we should be is staggering.
We look up to Snoop Dogg and Dave Chappelle as well...so? Just saying.

RT Faulkner

Registered
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
For the most powerful Black person in America, I would have to say it's Beyoncé. Oprah is the one of the wealthiest and still has staggering influence, but not as much as when her talk show was on the air. Beyoncé is the top Black celebrity now and her influence, as well as the power of her legions of "Bey hive" "stans" is...scary. I'm not a stan for Beyoncé, but I give credit where credit is due, the woman is talented and her enduring reign in music is breathtaking considering how fickle that business is. However, my feeling is many ultra-rich Black celebrities, including Beyoncé, Jay-Z, and Oprah, are so close to white power structures that they are out of touch with the daily struggles of Black America.

RT Faulkner

Registered
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
It's not an easy question. So, let me ask you this. If Beyonce asked for something political "Black crime bill" would white America listen? One has to assume Jay Z cosigns so it may be more a 'Black power couple' thing maybe?
That's a good question, and no, I don't think white America would listen. white America is solely concerned with maintaining white supremacy. A Black crime bill would threaten that.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
Caribbean
Why not? Elaborate, please.
This is my question. Has any athlete or entertainer been able to move the nation or start a successful movement within the black community? They have played supportive roles (Harry Belafonte for example during the Civil Rights movment), but the few that have been powerufl, left entertainment (Dick Gregory). Could Beyonce and Jay Z lead a successful movement AND still maintain their day job? Interesting question. Oprah is semi retired, so I think she could pull it off, but I have a few questions. 1. Is Oprah built like that? She's seen today by and large as part of the establishment. And she's lost a lot of street cred with the Michael Jackson attack piece as well as not talking about Harvey Weinstein. 2. She has a black male issue.

Here are the people I consider powerful.
Clarence Thomas: Yes, can't stand that bootlick coon but his leading to end abortion, which is HUGE, made him very, very powerful. He's also about to end the gay marriage thing. Remember, I said good or bad. I am not saying powerful only for people we like.

Tariq Nasheed: Don't laugh. Can you name one person the grassroots, the masses, who has more 'pull' with the masses? When ever he gets a project going it gets done. Could anyone else get a million in gofundme money in a month? Really? Obama was following him on twitter. The head of the DNC follows him.

Charlamagne tha God: Again, don't laugh. The Breakfast Club is now the one must go to place if you are running for President and want to reach the black vote. Again, I'm NOT saying I like him or dislike, I am looking at this objectively, good or bad or indifferent on who has power or influence. Every major Democratic candidate has been on The Breakfast Club. He and Tariq Nasheed are 'friends'.

Colin Kaepernick: He hasn't been in the spotlight as much. But if he wanted to start a movement it would immediately be front page news. Would blacks go along? I think he has enough street cred to pull it off. But that's me, some of y'all may differ. He and Tariq Nasheed are friendly as well. A

In my not now but 'watch this space' list of people who I think whose power/influence could get there in months or a few years but no quite there now:

Jason Black (also cool with Tariq Nasheed)
Marcel Dixon (also cool with Tariq Nasheed)
Dee Tubman, a little bit more ways to go than the above but could if she decided to come out more.

The only entertainer I can think of that if he wanted to, could be massive is Denzel Washington. He has both the love and respect of the black masses as well as the respect of whites and he's been ten toes down.

The reasons I would not include the Depart of Defense head, Lloyd Austin (who I didn't even know was head of DoD till it was mentioned) are, well, the average black person has never heard of him...and possibly the average white person. Also, he can be fired at anytime by Biden so his power is limited.

My borderline powerful person is retired General Colin Powell. He's a mixed bag. Outspoken against Trump, he has endorsed every Democratic presidential nominee since Obama, even though he's a Republican. He's got that weapons of mass destruction lie hanging over his head plus he's a Republican. If he went full black empowerment and for reparations he could.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Oprah got pull with most white liberals for sure and black women, but how much pull does she have with Black men? In most Black men's minds Oprah built her fortune in some part shitting on black men. That may or may not be true, but that is the belief. Argue otherwise and its on deaf ears.

I think Oprah could run for President and give anyone a good run for their money, but it would also come down to specific issues and what she says about it. Plattitudes are all well and good but there would have to be specifics.

That said, I think Oprah has to be in the conversation for most powerful Black person both within and outside the Black community. Is the most powerful though? That is still debatable.
    This is fair. I think most of her power is with using her money to influence other people though, not directly her saying or doing something. Most younger people don't even know who she is at this point.

E

educatedman23

We can define power and influence in various ways. I would make it two questions.

1. The most powerful in terms of power in America period.
    2. The most powerful in terms of sway among black people.

This may be the same person or it may not be. I have my own persons I think, but I will hear others first.
    Number 1 doesn't apply to us. Im not sure who for number 2.