The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Wigs, Weave, Natural - What is your preference?

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
You can answer this as a guy or gal but I want input from the ladies specifically.

When it comes to your own hair, what preference do you have? I know a lot of ladies who rock wigs and I get it. It is convenient and cheaper than having to get your hair done all the time. I have a few myself that I used to wear a lot. I have gotten weave done a few times and just didn't like what it was doing to my natural hair. It was falling out and thinning on the edges so I stopped. I decided to go natural a few years ago. I cleaned up my diet and working on my haircare routine and I am happy to say I can get some good length now! So for me, I like being natural.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I love my women with natural hairstyles, I don't care if they use extensions or not for volume. I just like braids, curls, and fros...I don't like how straight hair looks on most Black American women. I understand it's super difficult though because the standard of beauty in the USA is Eurocentric so I can understand how a woman can be compelled to get her hair straightened.

Geoff

Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Natural for me. I had an S curl twice when I was young. The first one was cool, the second time I left it in too long and just shaved out off.

I see a lot of men getting man weaves and hair units, but I’m just gonna rock a baldie, when the inevitable happens. :mjcry:

When it comes to the women I date, weaves and wigs are out of the question. They repulse me A perm is cool though. And I guess the faux locks are cool too, even if they’re fake.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Natural for me. I had an S curl twice when I was young. The first one was cool, the second time I left it in too long and just shaved out off.

I see a lot of men getting man weaves and hair units, but I’m just gonna rock a baldie, when the inevitable happens. :mjcry:

When it comes to the women I date, weaves and wigs are out of the question. They repulse me A perm is cool though. And I guess the faux locks are cool too, even if they’re fake.
    Why would you have an issue with weaves and wigs but then cool with a perm if the result is the same?

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    You can answer this as a guy or gal but I want input from the ladies specifically.

When it comes to your own hair, what preference do you have? I know a lot of ladies who rock wigs and I get it. It is convenient and cheaper than having to get your hair done all the time. I have a few myself that I used to wear a lot. I have gotten weave done a few times and just didn't like what it was doing to my natural hair. It was falling out and thinning on the edges so I stopped. I decided to go natural a few years ago. I cleaned up my diet and working on my haircare routine and I am happy to say I can get some good length now! So for me, I like being natural.
    I love my braids, low maintenance and lasts for 30 -45 days. I usually do individuals but don't like sitting in the chair for hours. I barely like getting manicures.

nialonglaugh

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Why would you have an issue with weaves and wigs but then cool with a perm if the result is the same?
    Getting a perm or getting your hair relaxed is just styling your hair without tools. To me, it is a lot different than covering up your natural hair with a wig or using weave. A lot of wigs and weaves don't use the real texture of a black woman's hair either. I have seen some but it seems like a lot of it is actually horsehair. I have seen plenty that will actually use white woman's hair as well so that could be another reason too. It is certainly no easy task to take care of natural hair as a black woman so when it is healthy and looks good, I have mad respect for the ladies who do it.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was thinking the same thing…we got our answer here though. Thanks @sourgrapes
    Getting a perm or getting your hair relaxed is just styling your hair without tools. To me, it is a lot different than covering up your natural hair with a wig or using weave. A lot of wigs and weaves don't use the real texture of a black woman's hair either. I have seen some but it seems like a lot of it is actually horsehair. I have seen plenty that will actually use white woman's hair as well so that could be another reason too. It is certainly no easy task to take care of natural hair as a black woman so when it is healthy and looks good, I have mad respect for the ladies who do it.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I was thinking the same thing…we got our answer here though. Thanks @sourgrapes
    Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Yeah some of the wigs and weaves have a really fake look to them and the ones that don't are extremely expensive.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    You are right. I don't like fake stuff, but I would prefer women to spend more to buy something that looks good instead of the crazy looking stuff that is cheap.
    I have seen some cheaper options that aren't so bad since posting this, was helping a friend find some options but 9 times out of 10, they look bad if you are spending under $300 on a wig. The ones that look the best and last the longest are always $800+!

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    I have seen some cheaper options that aren't so bad since posting this, was helping a friend find some options but 9 times out of 10, they look bad if you are spending under $300 on a wig. The ones that look the best and last the longest are always $800+!
    I only wore wigs after surgery, but they looked like my own hair. After using essential oils for 3 months, all my hair grew back & I've been natural since.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I only wore wigs after surgery, but they looked like my own hair. After using essential oils for 3 months, all my hair grew back & I've been natural since.
    That is great! I am always telling laddies to go natural and take care of your scalps. Wigs just make it easy to cut corners and neglect your body.