Movies and TV

Where TV and Film lovers go to talk about their favorite programming.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Atlanta on FX

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
Tither
App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
link to episode: Watch Atlanta Season 3 Episode 4 - The Big Payback

The only reason I've been keeping up with this show is that I see a lot of D1 Twitter always raving about it. I don't watch tv, so I posted the link to watch it for free. lol.

So anyway, Jay came to mind while I was watching this morning because of the recent Reparations Task Force news. The episode is called the Big Payback. It's either an alternate reality or their vision of the near future when black people get reparations.

As always, I have my own unpopular opinion of the episode. But did any of you see it or even watch the show?

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    They went full Twilight Zone and it was actually good. Marshall, Shaniqua, etc were all good and Marshall’s fate in the end was good especially the “tax”. The individualized aspect of the payouts made it interesting but I feel it is more damaging than helpful in today’s climate. You see when Marshall got to work that’s all of their worst nightmares. In addition to that, when he got home, SHANIQUA! Overall it’s a good episode but it plays into White people’s fears, there’s no restitution tax.

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female

The only reason I've been keeping up with this show is that I see a lot of D1 Twitter always raving about it. I don't watch tv, so I posted the link to watch it for free. lol.

So anyway, Jay came to mind while I was watching this morning because of the recent Reparations Task Force news. The episode is called the Big Payback. It's either an alternate reality or their vision of the near future when black people get reparations.

As always, I have my own unpopular opinion of the episode. But did any of you see it or even watch the show?
    It’s ehhhh…

awkward rent a car GIF by Sixt

It is Atlanta in name only and the entire premise is silly to me. It made it a bit too comedic for me, it was closer at times to Chappelle’s Show reparations episode than a realistic view of how reparations would work. Maybe they did it this way for dramatic effect but it didn’t sit too well on me. I want to see Black people building not White people being White.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I want to see Black people building not White people being White.

hmm..I like your take. Just last week, I was saying this show was really made for white liberals. I think you just proved my point. lol

Red Velvet

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    hmm..I like your take. Just last week, I was saying this show was really made for white liberals. I think you just proved my point. lol
    It is made for people who read Very Smart Brothas, The Root, and Griot. sanaalathanlaugh

Capri pant wearing, kombucha sipping, wannabe whites.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I stopped watching when they started having a lot of character episodes. Van’s episode were so boring and slow I fell off.
    Van is boring and unlikeable. And I feel like even in this season, they're trying to force the audience to give a damn about her.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    sanaalathanlaughDid they do an Aunt Viv?
    It's deeper than that. That scene showed what some of these $5 FBAs, $5 Indians, and $5 latinos are doing now. The white woman in that scene probably had 1 drop of Peruvian blood, which let her off the hook for paying reparations (and puts her in the BIPOC/"minority" line to get benefits).

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black

I haven't watched it yet, but will as soon as I can. Not one of my favorite shows like "The Chi", but I do watch it on occasion.

Tati 304

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's deeper than that. That scene showed what some of these $5 FBAs, $5 Indians, and $5 latinos are doing now. The white woman in that scene probably had 1 drop of Peruvian blood, which let her off the hook for paying reparations (and puts her in the BIPOC/"minority" line to get benefits).
    Oh I thought it was a production mistake. It was her putting a brown hand when she was white as a glass of milk?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Oh I thought it was a production mistake. It was her putting a brown hand when she was white as a glass of milk?
    No, it was done on purpose. Her husband was so confused that he asked how she was Peruvian when she was literally white the day before. She even changed her hairstyle to reflect her "ethnic" status. There are always little Easter eggs on the show.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I haven't watched it yet, but will as soon as I can. Not one of my favorite shows like "The Chi", but I do watch it on occasion.
    I like The Chi, but it changed so much when they had to kill off Jason Mitchell's character.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Another Easter egg: the only two brothas who showed up to work after reparations were paid were named Willy & Lester, a nod to legendary Black comedian/ventriloquist Willie Tyler & his dummy Lester.
    View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMxobUiqgA

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I haven't watched it since Jason's character was written off.
    Jason's character left a big void.
    Also, Lena Waithe and her writing team really turned up the number of lgbt characters & storyline points.

blackice_ATL

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Jason's character left a big void.
    Also, Lena Waithe and her writing team really turned up the number of lgbt characters & storyline points.
    i noticed that too. after that, i was done. and that's sad, because the first season really showed black men showing brotherly love to each other.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    i noticed that too. after that, i was done. and that's sad, because the first season really showed black men showing brotherly love to each other.
    True. The newest seasons are about a different kind of man love, though.
    LjsEW91.png

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I thought the show had a decent start but it never actually got good. At least not to me.

I really need to feel some sort of investment in the story or at least one of the characters. I stopped watching it.
    I've been a fan since the start, but the show's tone has changed drastically since the first season.
    What started out as an episodic comedy is now like a Black Twilight Zone. The show is dark, and it's not always about the OG characters. There's still the main story arc of Paper Boi's rise to rap stardom, but most of this season has been about calling out white people on their bs.
    If you just want a comedy, stop watching at the Barbershop episode in season 2. After that episode, everything goes left.

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    I've been a fan since the start, but the show's tone has changed drastically since the first season.
    What started out as an episodic comedy is now like a Black Twilight Zone. The show is dark, and it's not always about the OG characters. There's still the main story arc of Paper Boi's rise to rap stardom, but most of this season has been about calling out white people on their bs.
    If you just want a comedy, stop watching at the Barbershop episode in season 2. After that episode, everything goes left.
    Did they change writers at some point or something? Cause it did seem to start to just fall off after a certain point as if they had no sense of direction for a lot of the characters.

Bmick#8

Royal Sixer
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Did they change writers at some point or something? Cause it did seem to start to just fall off after a certain point as if they had no sense of direction for a lot of the characters.
    they got a Japanese guy who does a lot of the writing. I'm not sure who writes what though. But anybody who knows even a little bit about Donald Glover's past *ahem* projects, should not be surprised. He did some weird sketches back in the mid to late aughts.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

they got a Japanese guy who does a lot of the writing. I'm not sure who writes what though. But anybody who knows even a little bit about Donald Glover's past *ahem* projects, should not be surprised. He did some weird sketches back in the mid to late aughts.
    The Japanese guy has been there since season 1.
    AFAIK, the writing team has remained the same throughout the show's run.

FeverPitch

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The Japanese guy (Hiko Murai) was the principal director for most of the episodes in earlier seasons. He doesn't do any writing for the show.
    As of late, Donald has been writing and directing a lot of the episodes.
    Donald and his brother Stephen supervise the writing.
    All of the writers are Black or African, because Donald wanted a Black writers' room, which is a rarity, and probably a first, even on Black themed shows.
    The writers are Donald, Stephen, Jamal Olori, Ibra Ake, Taofik Kolade, Stefani Robinson, Fam Udeorji, Janine Nabers, Francesca Sloane, and Jordan Temple.

FeverPitch

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The show has always had a foot in the surreal. That's not new.
    In the very first episode, there was a mysterious dog, and a Muslim-like dude offering strangers Nutella sandwiches.
    The shooting from the first episode has never been explained, either.
    In the first season there was an episode made up of fake commercials, Darius wanting to measure trees, samurai swords, lemon pepper wings that glowed and a mute boy who wore whiteface.
    Not to mentions the tons of easter eggs and pop culture references throughout.
    The show has always been weird, it didn't just get that way.

These episodes without the principal cast make sense because the cast blew up after the show, so they all have numerous projects on their schedules that need to be balanced with the show.
    The breakaway episodes are a clever way to resolve that issue.
    I still dig the show. Some episodes miss the mark for me but for every episode you like, someone else dislikes it, and vice versa.
    The duds are in the minority for me. I wasn't enthused with the episode in the OP, for instance.
    I think that's what Donald wants.
    For me, I welcome Black shows that do something different and I think Atlanta does that well, instead of just being different for the sake of being different.

Trillfate

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

Blackgravity

On Y0 Six
    Community Host
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The first time watching this, this was very deep, I like how it didn't go too overboard. You still get the point the show is making and it was a very good point, one that makes you totally understand. I'm sure most white people that saw this episode probably had nightmares about this. lol

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The first time watching this, this was very deep, I like how it didn't go too overboard. You still get the point the show is making and it was a very good point, one that makes you totally understand. I'm sure most white people that saw this episode probably had nightmares about this. lol
    This season probably scared a lot of white people. Especially the reparations episode!

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Just finished watching Season 3.

The best episodes of season 3 IMO are 1, 4 and 9. Unfortunately, none of these episodes have the main characters in them. I know some people didn't like these episodes because none of the main characters are in them, but I thought these were interesting and entertaining in some Black Mirror meets Key & Peele meets Get Out meets Twilight Zone kind of way. Like others are suggesting, Glover probably would be better trying to create some other outside projects of his own if he doesn't want to include the main characters in them. The worst episodes of seasons 1 and 2 rival (or are outright better than) episodes 1, 4, and 9 of season 3.

My main issue with episodes 4 and 9 are that while interesting and bold, they play into the deep rooted fears, paranoia, hatred, and faux "oppressed" victimhood that the racist, oppressive dominant class and its buffers and tethers have about Black FBA people getting cash reparations and defining our lineage. The way they framed the episodes had me feeling kinda sad and uncomfortable by the end when reparations for Black people is actually a great thing and will be provided via the US Government and its Treasury, not directly out of people's paychecks. I'm supposed to feel happy getting reparations and seeing other Black people get reparations, not sad or guilty for not wanting to be economically deprived and under oppression for 500+ years. Wtf?

No seriously, it’s almost as if the creator of the show (Donald Glover) and his team want you to feel sorry and feel compassion for these whites and the buffer / foreign tether classes. As if they lowkey want Black American people to feel ashamed and feel guilty for getting what is rightfully ours and what was stolen and robbed from us. By the way, the Atlanta staff do have a lot of whites, non-FBA Blacks, and non-Blacks that work on and write for the show.

They also had white racist actor Liam Neeson in one of the episodes whitesplaining for his racist outbursts and basically saying "Well, I'm actually sorry for the racist shit I said, but I still hate you Black people because you all tried to end my career over it. As a white man, I realize that I have the privilege to not be able to learn from my mistakes. K?" As if they were trying to show a white perspective while also lowkey trying to rehabilitate his image.

Episodes 7 and 10 did not make any sense to me and felt off. Not only did episode 7 feel out of place and had none of the main characters in it, but I felt it didn't really mesh well enough with the storyline and it felt like I was watching a boring version of something else entirely. Hell, is there any real storyline outside of "rapper and his entourage of friends get into some weird adventures and situations" anymore?

The rest of the episodes that did have the main characters in them felt aimless, dull, unexciting, stagnant, and almost without a real sense of purpose or direction.

I'm not sure how Glover and/or his character can still wake up with a white woman next to him, sleep in the same bed as his oppressor, and enjoy being called the n-word in bed after knowing all of the racism and oppression that the oppressors subject us to.

It's crazy how I tuned in to see the main characters and their adventures, but I ended up liking the episodes (1, 4, and 9) without the main characters the most. Episode 6 had interesting ideas and had the potential to be great, but it still felt flat and dull in some ways. Episodes 2 and 8 were very so so, but I did not like how they snuck in that transwoman in there in episode 8 like that, at all. Made me think it was a woman at first until I picked up on...certain things and confirmed my suspicion via research. The transwoman they snuck in was Ava Grey from the FX series Pose, which I never watched btw. I don't appreciate such deception.

The Atlanta cast and team are definitely on that rainbow 🌈 agenda and the white paymasters know which Black people to put on and give shows to. I knew Atlanta was caping for the rainbow mafia from the jump when they had us feel sorry for that gay dude (trade) that was messing with dudes and trannies out of prison, featured a transwoman in the BAN episode, and when one of the main characters in another episode said, "I thought AIDS was made by the government to k*ll homosexuals" when it mainly created to kill Black people, including Black homosexuals, along with some non-Black h0m0s, knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone.

Episodes 3 and 5 reminded me of why whites cannot be trusted, liked, or befriended along with several other episodes. Episode 5 felt like the closest thing to seasons 1 and 2 in certain ways, but it was worse than episodes 2 and 6 and 8, still dull, not really funny, slow paced, and had such a stupid and simple ass plot that had me thinking, "Really, you really made an entire episode about a damn phone?"

This show is having an identity crisis like one of the main characters was having in episode 10, ironically. I bet the team that works on Atlanta knows it too and was giving us a clue in that episode. I feel like the show is starting to jump the shark and that Glover is no longer vested or interested in Atlanta as a series, is now bored with Atlanta as a project, and is waiting for it to get cancelled by the network at this point. Hence the random episodes, excessive dull moments, stagnated characters, and the throwing of shit at the walls to see what sticks. I almost feel as disappointed with Atlanta Season 3 as I did with The Boondocks Season 4. We really waited 4 years for this...(2018-2022 Hiatus for Atlanta, 2010-2014 Hiatus for The Boondocks)

Does anyone else feel that this show is trying to make white peepo and others uncomfortable at times, while generally making them comfortable, assured, and at ease? I understand that we need to understand how the white oppressor class thinks and operates, but a lot of times I feel that they get to validate their way of life and make themselves look...redeemable and look like merely misunderstood, ignorant, innocent souls that are just as cursed and as troubled as Black people are (not true).

Season 1 had such a strong start. Both Seasons 1 and 2 had a good mix of absurdity, awkwardness, creativity, adventures, and creepiness all while having interesting storylines, writing, characters, and thought-provoking commentary and situations. It's a shame that season 3 was not up to par. I give the first 2 seasons a 8.5/10 or 9/10. But I give season 3 of Atlanta a 4/10, it's take it or leave it. Episodes 1, 4, and 9 are around 6/10. The rest of the episodes for this season are 5/10 or under.

Save for a few episodes, not sure why people are praising season 3. It is dull as hell and at times smells like mayonnaise and old hot dog water poured into a mop bucket that was left to sit for months. Even the last seasons of Insecure were better than Atlanta season 3 despite having a lot of weak, oddly-paced, or slow moments / momentum in the latter seasons.

I might not tune in for season 4. Though, I really do suspect season 3 will be the last and final season of Atlanta.

Atlanta Season 3 is the Shrek 3 of the series.
    Atlanta Season 3 is the Spiderman 3 of the series.
    Atlanta Season 3 is the Rush Hour 3 of the series.

Finesse

Sixer
    zBucks
    Atlanta Season 3 is the Shrek 3 and Shrek 4 of the series.
    Damn that's harsh lol. But to be fair I have yet to see the newer season. I think I watched the first two season and ever since I kinda lost touch with the series. From the season I did see, I really enjoyed the show, but I heard some people complain about the newer seasons.

I'm considering checking it out again so I can catch up to the final season. I'm a fan of Donald Glover anyway, so I'm willing to run through some rough seasons.

I guess the next season will be its last. Wonder what Mr. Childish Gambino has next under his sleeve.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Damn that's harsh lol. But to be fair I have yet to see the newer season. I think I watched the first two season and ever since I kinda lost touch with the series. From the season I did see, I really enjoyed the show, but I heard some people complain about the newer seasons.

I'm considering checking it out again so I can catch up to the final season. I'm a fan of Donald Glover anyway, so I'm willing to run through some rough seasons.

I guess the next season will be its last. Wonder what Mr. Childish Gambino has next under his sleeve.
    More music, I'm guessing.