The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Does Africa Owe Black Americans Reparations?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I AM ONLY POSTING THIS TO START A CONVERSATION. I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR EITHER SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvinOJvTFtU

Do the African countries who sold their own people into slavery owe Black Americans reparations?
Should those countries be forgiven for participating in the Atlantic slave trade?
Whar are your thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is difficult subject because:
    1. It’s a deflection White Supremacists use to justify their enslavement of Black people.
    2. Does “sell me these n****rs or I’ll kill this whole village” count as a business deal?
    3. Some of the countries in Africa are new and didn’t exist when we were taken.
    If this ever gained significant ground it would put a significant dent in a reparations argument against the USA as the Government could say “see we bought you fair and square, talk to the Africans about it”.

I think it’s misplaced anger and a deflection used to take our eyes off the ball. It’s meant to have us focus on fighting Continental Africans instead of the white people who are robbing us both.

Were there probably sell outs? Yes. But Europeans came and stole everything, to then make it look like they came and had legitimate business dealings with Africans is a farce.

They act like they pulled up to Dikembe’s Slave Mart and order a couple million negros. No, they came with war in their eyes and conquered.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I feel like putting it all on Africa does take away from the fact that it was wrong to begin with. Back then, it was legal and the people in this country could have chosen not to participate but they did so they are just as much to blame as the people who were doing the selling. Africa made a quick buck but America saved how much money using slave labor?

Someone I work with brought up this topic a few weeks back. Said something along the lines of "would we have been better off being sent back to Africa after we were freed?" I honestly don't know how I feel about that. I couldn't really respond to it.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I feel like putting it all on Africa does take away from the fact that it was wrong to begin with. Back then, it was legal and the people in this country could have chosen not to participate but they did so they are just as much to blame as the people who were doing the selling. Africa made a quick buck but America saved how much money using slave labor?

Someone I work with brought up this topic a few weeks back. Said something along the lines of "would we have been better off being sent back to Africa after we were freed?" I honestly don't know how I feel about that. I couldn't really respond to it.
    Some of our ancestors did go back to Africa after slavery. That's how the west African country of Liberia came to be. Liberia - Wikipedia

Armie

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I AM ONLY POSTING THIS TO START A CONVERSATION. I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR EITHER SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT!

Do the African countries who sold their own people into slavery owe Black Americans reparations?
    Should those countries be forgiven for participating in the Atlantic slave trade?
    Yes, but only to a very specific subset of 'African' Americans who can trace a significant portion of their lineage (through Mother & Father) back to the participating countries of West Africa prior to the Transatlantic slave trade by way of Genealogy in addition to a DNA test.

josiah starr

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    Supporter
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Africa didn't get wealthy from the institution of Slavery, the European countries and United States (White countries) did. The Africans did not force poverty and third class status on FBA's....the White countries did. The Africans didnt lock us out of the greatest economy in the world....the United States did. The Africans did lynch us or burn down our institutions....the United States did.

I don't expect Africa to pay anything, as they didn't reap from the stolen labor and were eventually colonized and victimized themselves. Simply put, they were idiot's to deal with the white man and have paid dearly for that ignorance.

What I would expect and appreciate is a right of return policy for those whom desire to go back or become dual citizens.

#nothingwillcomebetweenus

Rex Lawrence

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I have never heard the name of even one African who sold other Africans into the US Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

I always assumed that such a narrative was an attempt to shift the blame for slavery to Africans. I think their line is " everyone was doing it" and "Africans sold the slaves".

The ones who must pay reparations are the ones who used slavery to build immense wealth and power. Such a description doesn't describe Africans.

josiah starr

Master Sixer
    Community Host
    Supporter
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    The very Africans they supposedly "bought slaves from"....they circled back and colonized their land, took their resources and eventually enslaved them as well. They never continue on with the whole narrative because it exposes thier cherry picked half-truths.

Black people worldwide were (and are) targeted for specific abuse and misuse by the White Supremacists. Those are facts. They built a European empire, that never existed before slavery.....on our backs. The bill is due. Time to pay.

sourgrapes

Royal Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Some of our ancestors did go back to Africa after slavery. That's how the west African country of Liberia came to be. Liberia - Wikipedia
    Wow, I never knew that! Why aren't we learning about this in school? I swear they don't want us to feel empowered in our own heritage or something. Thanks for pointing this out. I am going to read into it more.

Sovereign

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The very Africans they supposedly "bought slaves from"....they circled back and colonized their land, took their resources and eventually enslaved them as well. They never continue on with the whole narrative because it exposes thier cherry picked half-truths.

Black people worldwide were (and are) targeted for specific abuse and misuse by the White Supremacists. Those are facts. They built a European empire, that never existed before slavery.....on our backs. The bill is due. Time to pay.
    You can’t sign a record contract under duress but suddenly can make deals to sell millions of people under the threat of death?

Oooook. The math ain’t mathing.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Africa is not the homeland of FBA/ADOS, America is. We built and invented this country.
    It’s our ancestral homeland but clearly ethnically we have diverged from Africa. Separating Black people from Africa is the most damaging thing you can do. We will never have safe haven in the USA. We need an Africa that is on code and B1 and then have them link with us to change our circumstance.

Blackstar87

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    It’s our ancestral homeland but clearly ethnically we have diverged from Africa. Separating Black people from Africa is the most damaging thing you can do. We will never have safe haven in the USA. We need an Africa that is on code and B1 and then have them link with us to change our circumstance.
    I hope Africa can unit and kick China and India out, If all black people got on code we will control everything.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I hope Africa can unit and kick China and India out, If all black people got on code we will control everything.
    Exactly. That’s why we can’t be fronting like we some people that don’t have any connection to Africa, it’s foolish. There have been Black people here before the Europeans knew it existed but where did they come from?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Exactly. That’s why we can’t be fronting like we some people that don’t have any connection to Africa, it’s foolish. There have been Black people here before the Europeans knew it existed but where did they come from?
    Mississippi.

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is difficult subject because:
    1. It’s a deflection White Supremacists use to justify their enslavement of Black people.
    2. Does “sell me these n****rs or I’ll kill this whole village” count as a business deal?
    3. Some of the countries in Africa are new and didn’t exist when we were taken.
    If this ever gained significant ground it would put a significant dent in a reparations argument against the USA as the Government could say “see we bought you fair and square, talk to the Africans about it”.

I think it’s misplaced anger and a deflection used to take our eyes off the ball. It’s meant to have us focus on fighting Continental Africans instead of the white people who are robbing us both.

Were there probably sell outs? Yes. But Europeans came and stole everything, to then make it look like they came and had legitimate business dealings with Africans is a farce.

They act like they pulled up to Dikembe’s Slave Mart and order a couple million negros. No, they came with war in their eyes and conquered.
    Wow, the bolded .... it sounds just like a Neanderthal cave monster. No,.... it is the Neanderthal cave, impish, soulless monster. That is just like them and is their mentality. Their true evil and the terroristic genocidal tendencies that dwell inside them, their Satanic state of mind and being, their repainting of events and history, their twisting of words and stories, them boldly lying to everyone about everything despite being caught in the act and having concrete historical documentation and evidence on and off record, the ongoing projection of blame and shame, continual denial, etc.

They love leaving those vital bolded parts out (the bolded parts - the constant threats of death, tyranny, and terrorism from whites if whites don't get what they want: land, property, material and black bodies) when projecting their guilt and blame, and while blaming and putting the responsibility onto the African people (aka other Black people) for merely "selling us out" to violent criminal white savages for some butter biscuits and trinkets. It makes so much more sense now when you add these missing bolded parts in and paints a more accurate picture of real, actual history that occurred.

And the whites still ended up terrorizing, colonizing and destroying much of Africa and its native people anyway. And they are still waging war against Africa today (watch out for sick maniacs such as Prince William, Bill Gates, and the like that are absolutely obsessed with Africa and stopping its so-called "overpopulation" problem, which code speak for "we are heavily considering attempts of genocidal methods ASAP").

So in the end, did Africa and its people really gain anything from the slave trade anyway? No, of course not.

If anything, the whites / Europeans and eventually the Chinese and others will need to repay Black Africans and the Black Caribbeans for the destruction, massive grand theft, and evil they caused (and are still causing) to their lands after the FBA get Reparations.

Welp, Looks like the USA will need to pay out the ass to Black descendants of American enslaved peoples worldwide once they pay out the ass to the FBA who live on American soil first.
    I have never heard the name of even one African who sold other Africans into the US Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

I always assumed that such a narrative was an attempt to shift the blame for slavery to Africans. I think their line is " everyone was doing it" and "Africans sold the slaves".

The ones who must pay reparations are the ones who used slavery to build immense wealth and power. Such a description doesn't describe Africans.
    Yep. If the slave owners and other racists weren't "imperfect (wo)men of their time" then they were just good ol' whites that cared for the slaves, got along and sang songs with them, and "didn't mean no harm." After all, the knowing about actual horrors of slavery and anti-Black terrorism are "overblown hogwash" and only make people "more divisive." I mean, Asians, Jewish, Natives, Latinos, white Irish, and other groups "don't have any dogs in this fight", right?

And let them tell it, most white Americans and the US Government are still broke, in financial crisis, and suffering from "economic anxiety" and therefore cannot afford to pay us Reparations because it's "impossible", "unfair", "ridiculous" and "unrealistic." Because whites and others (that are still eating off our ancestral labor and help to disenfranchise us) are struggling and gotta live for the rest of the month and eat too, right? So damn those "ungrateful" Black American people struggling from the historical and current after effects of the ongoing Black Holocaust because it's always our fault no matter what, right?

Which is a damn shame. Niggas running fro one oppressor to the next. That’s what happens when you don’t have a Black identity. They don’t see each other as one.
    They are too busy repping their Haitian, Jamaican, Trinidadian, Brazilian, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Yoruba, Mixed, Ethiopian, Nigerian, Somalian, "French", "British", "Chinese", Hebrew Israelite, "Cherokee", Igbo, and other heritages, side, tribe, country, religion, ethnic group, and nationality before their Black race / identity.

It is deadly and dangerous to walk around this planet and not acknowledge race and/or say and believe that "you're not Black" or "not like the other Black people", regardless of your reason for doing and thinking so. Because busybody racist thugs with badges, race soldiers, Karens, racist POC, and other white Supremacists see your Black skin no matter what at the end of the day and will act against you and any of your Black children, friends, and family accordingly.

The British, French, Russians, Italians, Polish, Ukrainian, Irish, Scottish, white Canadians, Germans, Hungarians, white Jewish, white Israelis, white Latinos, white Australians, Spaniards, Swedish, white/mixed Native American, Norwegians, white Americans, etc love repping their countries, heritages, sides, political parties, religions, ethnic groups, class, genders, sexual orientations, tribes and nationalities too.

BUT they NEVER forget their race, their whiteness, and what it means to and for them. They are white 1st before anything else. That is the unspoken code and rule for them no matter where they are. Most of them will not tell you that admit that to you. You have white Trump fanatics in every single country imaginable. Why? Because these whites all get on code and know that Trump represents whites and white interests first at the expense of everything and everyone else (which is exactly how they like it). Never forget, racist white Jewish Republican former Mayor of NYC Mike Bloomberg changed his Republican clothes and ran as Democrat during the 2020 Election for the world to see shamelessly. They aren't actually Republican or Democrat first, they're white first.

Asians beef with other Asians (ex: Chinese vs Japanese) until it's time to "Stop Asian Hate" by hating Black people and saying that Affirmative Action should be destroyed (unless it's for other Asians), make or swindle money as a collective, defend murderers like Peter Liang and rapists like Daniel Holtzclaw (however the fuck you spell this evil deranged hapa's name). Same situation with Latinos, Native American tribes, and so on and on.

So if these whites and others continue to tell you that "they don't see race or color" or that "you shouldn't make everything about race" or some other nonsense like that, then they are fucking lying to you and setting you up to fail, which is what they want and will continue to do.

If you continue to believe such lies they feed you, you might as well be casket ready because you are putting a target on your back for them to come after you once they catch you off-guard and blindside you. Once they do or they try you again, will you survive?

ART

Royal Sixer
    Community Host
    Content Contributor
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is a distraction and deflection that white supremacists want. We have much Bigger Fish To Fry. Let's stay laser focused on the fact that it's the United States of America that owes Black Americans reparations and act accordingly.

Troy

Swangin’
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Tariq is an idiot. He says whatever 2 bit idea that comes to his head.

Big Boi Smh GIF by Outkast

MR-D-ROB

Sixer First Class
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    In my opinion, no.
    I feel like slavery is just what led to me being owed reparations.

I personally wasn't enslaved. But it was enslavement of my ancestors that has led to systemic racism in America.

America is now and always has been an immoral country. People will try to argue that America isn't a racist country. Okay, maybe or maybe not.

But it's pretty difficult to argue against the fact that America is an immoral country. You can give many examples from the native Americans, slavery, Japanese internment camps, and recently Trump's zero tolerance policy at the border.

It's America's immorality that is led to systemic racism. That immorality and systemic racism is what affects me. That's what I feel like I'm old reparations for. It's not an African country that has me driving around scared that police are going to blow my head off. It's not an African country that follows me around in the store as if I'm going to steal something. It's not an African country that has me walk out of a job interview wondering if racism will play into me getting the job or not. It's not an African country that has me wondering if I'll be able to get financing for things I need like a car, a house, and other essentials or not due to race.

All of these things and others are perpetrated directly by America and the fact that it's an immoral country and refuses to do anything to make up for that immorality towards black people.

It's for that reason that I think we are owed reparations not just for slavery but the injustice that has been done to us since slavery. Heck I'll go even further for the injustices been done towards us just since the end of Jim Crow.

Just because a few basketball players, football players, and musical artists have made it okay, just because we're able to get jobs now and get housing doesn't mean that we're on a good place in America.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This is a distraction and deflection that white supremacists want. We have much Bigger Fish To Fry. Let's stay laser focused on the fact that it's the United States of America that owes Black Americans reparations and act accordingly.
    This right here sis. We are trying to get people focused on a single idea which is reparations for Descendants of American Chattel Slaves from the USA. Why confuse the dialogue by injecting in West Africa? Especially when the situation is extremely distorted because:

1. Some of the governments that aided in the enslavement of our people don't even exist.
    2. Some of the nations in West Africa like Nigeria weren't even countries until the 1960's.
    3. How can we distinguish between governments that willfully traded us and governments who were forced to? If you have your cousin's paycheck in your house and I break in and I say give me all the money or I'm smoking everyone and you hand over your cousin's paycheck are you complicit in the robbery? You didn't put up a fight that's for sure but you weren't in cahoots with the robber.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black

Yes, they too owe & no, no forgiveness! 💯

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Specific tribes who were in it heavy gotta cop to it in my opinion. The present nations weren't around back then, but some of these tribes were. That said, the conversation is a purely 100 percent internal one. White folks have NO say about it and if any bring it up I tell them, that's an internal issue that has zero to do with you. And if you bring it up in the reparations conversation, we will shut it down. If my car gets hit by you but it was also hit by another person at another time but I only bring you to court, in the eyes of the law, "He hit you too so I don't have to pay until he does' Doesn't fly in court.

Who is culpable and if there should be any remedy is secondary to the present reparations fight. I also would be against using someone's tribal history of slavery to disqualify that person as an ally. You already know a few negroes will because they are on some other ish (sense of power, etc). Allies are an individual basis. If you are going to use the 'sins of the father' excuse then any one who is B1 whether FBA or non FBA, whose daddy was an ex-con who committed a crime against a Black person. Or that ex con himself,
    is also disqualified as an ally.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Yes, they too owe & no, no forgiveness! 💯
    If they had've defended the motherland & themselves when the Anti-Blacks arrived to take our Ancestors as slaves, this 🦬💩 wouldn't be happening now.
    Also, if we had stayed on code & continued to fight as Malcolm X, Huey P. Newton, Dr. Muhammed Abdul Khalid & Muhammad Ali taught us to, we wouldn't be in this 🦬💩 we're in today!

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    YES!!!

They never sent for us nor offered citizenship so #CutTheCheck
    Just as Rollie posted regarding Umar Johnson's Reparation Trap, when Reparations are issued, we need to pool our wealth & take our land & property back!
    Rebuild BLACK WALL STREET in every ghetto, hood, community, etc across the USA & teach all our people how to be entrepreneurs, from preschool to elderly. EACH ONE TEACH ONE on the REAL side of the game!

Sapphire

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Half Black
    Origin
    USA
    Africa is to blame for selling our people, all other countries are to blame for buying them. If people weren't eager to buy black slaves, there would not have been a market for it in the first place. Every group/race had slaves at one point in history but what other group profited THIS much off it and off whom? Black slavery built the foundation of everything we have now and people just want to keep ignoring that fact.

Slavery is still a problem today. We still see our people being bought and sold on the black market to places like China. They use them for testing, slave labor, and organ harvesting. I don't think anything will ever be solved with this until everyone is on the same page.

That being saying, slaves in America were promised land as an apology and it was never given and people want to ignore that too.

zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    That said, the conversation is a purely 100 percent internal one. White folks have NO say about it and if any bring it up I tell them, that's an internal issue that has zero to do with you.
    You're an immigrant. You have the same say in our reparations that white folks have (zero). Like you said, our conversation is an internal one. Please stop trying to latch onto our shit.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I think it’s possible that some do but it’s a moot point to me at this point. Africa is largely an open air slave plantation and so focusing on trying to get anything from any of the countries there is like trying to sue a homeless person.

You may be right and you may win the court case but what does it really mean? You ain’t gonna get anything. I feel like this is a conversation to have with a sovereign Africa.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    My quote function is not working well for whatever reason so I'll put it here You're an immigrant. You have the same say in our reparations that white folks have (zero). Like you said, our conversation is an internal one. Please stop trying to latch onto our shit."

Explain to me specifically how I'm trying to latch on to FBA reparations?

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Africa is to blame for selling our people, all other countries are to blame for buying them. If people weren't eager to buy black slaves, there would not have been a market for it in the first place. Every group/race had slaves at one point in history but what other group profited THIS much off it and off whom? Black slavery built the foundation of everything we have now and people just want to keep ignoring that fact.

Slavery is still a problem today. We still see our people being bought and sold on the black market to places like China. They use them for testing, slave labor, and organ harvesting. I don't think anything will ever be solved with this until everyone is on the same page.

That being saying, slaves in America were promised land as an apology and it was never given and people want to ignore that too.
    Whoa! Sold to China?! I know Black Africans are being sold in Libya, but to China?! Any groups trying to do something about this?

If African nations promised land, then they need to honor that promise.

But as for this being a deflection from FBA reparations, I agree with others who’ve commented.

D

Deleted member 1946

The wrong kind of black Americans were sent to Liberia in the 1800s. The capital was named after a president that held slaves (Monroe---Monrovia is the capital). Those blacks went there with a white colonial mindset. Totally different today.
    Somehow this always seems to happen. The colonial minded Black folks always do this stuff and we realize it afterwards that it was folks who had their agenda in mind and not ours.